Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

looks like ill be consulting the internet a bit when i do get one.

thanks 423894.

No worries mang.

Not to budge in or anything but to "aquire" bonsai material as you put it is quite simple. You just have to keep an eye out. Look for torn down or abandoned buildings. Usually old lanscaping will have some sort of juniper or something in it. Just dig that sucker up. But be careful to not trim the root ball too much, just take a bit off so the plant can get used to being in a different place.

Also, depending on where you are, collecting young species from surrounding areas are good too. Up here (Western Canada) there are mountatins and trees galore. Lots of junipers, pines etc. A great place to look for interesting formations would be mountain of cliff side plants. Because they have to hang on to the side of wherever they are they often produce very interesting shapes as seen below:

85402729.34lqzLnJ.ntatsr.jpg

NEA1154.jpg

335574670swdAwP_fs.jpg

1281710-This-is-one-old-old-juniper-0.jpg

You get the idea.

hmm yeah its abit different down here (new orleans) hot and humid. Know of any that do well in a more tropical enviornment?

i've never been, but i figure you probably have willows down there. they'd probably do fairly well. pines or evergreens of just about any kind will do well as bonsai. wisteria is another one i've been getting a little geeked on lately, if it grows down that way. you can bonsai lots of stuff...just be ready for some trial and error.

yeah..i actually looked AFTER posting that and you guys get plenty of cool species down there. elms, ash, hickory...all that stuff. do some reading and go dig a few up. you can leave them in a small pot to naturalize until next year and they'll be just fine.

my bonsai tree (juniper) is barely holding on to life....but its hard to maintain with the hot summer weather.

no problem..google up what trees you find and look at some bonsai sites for tips on what kinds of soil/mix and all that kinda stuff you're gonna need. good luck!

Grabbed a photo of this a couple weeks ago:

20090712_162206_29.jpg

Pretty famous old Bonsai, long dead, but still pretty cool to look at whats left.

word found some locals who know what thier doing, hopefuly Ill have some pictures to share soon.

good one, mercer...the angles in that thing are crazy. i keep trying to imagine what it would have looked like with foliage and all..fucking cool.

that purp is a whole different story

hey cooter know where i could aquire a tree like the ones you aquired?

The 2 ficus I got @ Lowes. The Scheffelera I got as a gift...I think it came from a local nursery in Slidell, LA.

Just got this Olive tree in the mail. Arrived in good condition.

DSCN2620.jpg

DSCN2621.jpg

Cut the bottom off.

DSCN2622.jpg

Propped it up with a rock.

DSCN2623.jpg

And here it is all set up. Hopefully it will be happy.

DSCN2625.jpg

A buddy of mine 'acquired' these two from a blighted property and trimmed them back.

DSC08202.jpg

DSC08215.jpg

DSC08217.jpg

Good looking out to your friend for rescuing these. I reckon whoever rebuilds the lot would have removed them anyway. Any updated flix?

in the spring i went to some festival where dudes were giving out free trees. i think mine is an ash. it was the last one he had and he said it would probably die soon anyway. i took it to prove him wrong.

i planted it in a glass vase that was filled halfway with dirt. i put some earthworms in there and covered the top with some saran wrap to keep the moisture it.

it's still alive. i'll see what i can do about bonsai'ing it but im still not sure i want to. then again, would it be considered bonsai if its growth is stunted from not being able to grow beyond the saran wrap anyway?

it has grown at least one limb and is by no means unhealthy.

ficus1.jpg

This is my newly repotted Ficus. I had been growing it (practically) upside down, in a tower-like contraption that I built, for about 1.5 years. It still needs time for the leaves to 'flatten out'.

I'll probably rewire it in a few weeks once it has settled.

Hey guys, I'm starting some Japanese Red Maple's (Bloodgood), any advice? (I'm starting them from seeds I bought).

I've chopped up a few things from living plants for organic material to enrich the soil and smashed a few Terracotta pots into small bits to help the soil drain.

good luck with that. i'll probably be trying when the fall comes around and my neighbor's tree drops seeds...in the meantime..

3857504191_18ea9309d2.jpg

put the hole in it myself with the dremel..good shit for $1

potted up the only thing that i have ready to go into a bonsai dish. privet are hearty as fuck, that's all i can say.

3857567173_8fcd935dc7_o.jpg

when i get a few things situated and have some time i'll try to get flicks of some other shit i have going on up in here..feedback appreciated.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now