Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the copper wire is a pretty standard method of shaping a tree. Weights are also good for minor tweeks as well as achieveing a full cascade style.

I thought this guy had died last fall (recall I have terrible luck with bonsais) but it has come back quite nicely.

DSCN2558.jpg

is that a fig? distinctive, mang...looks good.

the copper wire is a pretty standard method of shaping a tree. Weights are also good for minor tweeks as well as achieveing a full cascade style.

kinda what i thought. it's been a while, though.

I had gotten a Bonsai from an admirer of mine 2 years ago for my birthday and it by far was the best plant I ever had.

Unfortunately when I moved to new home, they remodeled. During construction, they took my bonsai threw it in a bag and tossed it to the side. I was already at work and didn't come home until late in the evening. When i found bonsai he was out of the pot, some of the branches had been broken and the delicate leaves were limp. I tried to revive Bonsai but to no avail. Needless to say I pitched a fit the size of a football stadium. I don't even care, when you you take the time out of your day every day for a year to care for something living you create an attachment to it, i was super upset, other Phil Collins had the hardest time consoling me. I haven't been able to get another one. Maybe this year...

All you really had to do was spray it with water in the evening and keep it near a window open since they are trees and like to be outside if you live in the city.

Watering in the evening saves the water-burn the droplets and the sun might do in the sunlight.

I say plants in general are win, but Bonsai's takes the cake.

from what i think i understand, yes they will. BUT, i believe it can depend on how happy your bonsai is, pollenating factors, and stuff like that. some trees will only produce fruits on the previous year's growth, for example. i'll see what else i can find out, and see what i have around here that might work...i like the idea.

having troubles with whitefly. it knocked the crap out of my little wisteria and one of my little crepe myrtles, but i have hopes for them both. my little oak is backbudding and looks like it's gonna live too. word.

i had heard fruit bonsai prodcue fruit? I've also heard they dont, anybody know?

i would imagine they would. however sometimes normal trees don't, i've heard that sometimes the tree needs to be "stressed" when they won't.

i once watched a programme where a boy dug up around a huge pear tree and put concrete slabs down so the roots couldn't spread, he said that'd cause the tree to panic and produce pears again after years of not doing so.

i'll try and get pics of the ones in my garden up at some point.

Hot damn! I'm stoked someone started a bonsai thread. I'm not on here so much recently, but that's awesome and please keep it up.

not too interesting, but here's a little progress..

had to trim the long sprig on this guy today

3698132001_8216d436e9.jpg

right about here

3698134745_b2907faa28.jpg

now hopefully that sprig will sit below the rest of the tree level. close up to show the structures of the branching. i don't know yet what i'm gonna do with those to shoots on the left so i'm just leaving them for now.

3698948554_51b79c3985.jpg

my bonsai-potted privet is filling out pretty nice. should be looking good by fall..

3698129425_67aa98e0c8.jpg

that's it for now. gonna get a few more this week some time...probably mimosa and ficus.

probably going to sign up for a pottery class this fall and make a bunch of my own pots for next spring. cheaper that way, and custom...which i like.

I suggest re-potting any store bought bonsai sooner than later. Especially ones from the home depot.

i like the trunkline on that scheffelera...all dope trees. wanna get my ficus started before the heat goes.

Im quite interested in finding out where you can buy Bonsai Trees from. I know that I could get one from here, however I would like to know where are the best places to go to buy one.

Just started a tree. First grow and I'm pretty excited. I have no real clue what I'm doing so I'm just kind of winging it haha.

Bonsai trees are sweet, im actually working at a house

this week and the lady has some kind of japanese something

first thing I thought was of this thread its pretty cool looking

just has one trunk that goes straight up for about 2 feet and

then on top is super full off looking purple/green leaves but the

leaves kinda look like a weed leaf but super skinny parts.

But anyways i am interested in how people shape the tree with

wire what do they do just put the wire how they want and the

tree follows it?

could be a japanese maple. there are some varieties that look a whole lot like weed plant foliage.

you usually either wrap the tree where you're going to wrap the wire with a small piece of light cloth or something to keep it from cutting in, then you tension and bend the tree and attach the wire to a fixed point. you can use nails on a board outside the pot, or a small board or stick and put it up against the tree (you could once again wrap the tree or your stick to prevent damage to its bark) and wrap around it to make your tension. LOTS of different ways to do shit...getting creative is the fun part.

and go back and look at page 1. one of my posts on down the page has a wired tree, to give you a basic idea..

those are one of my favorites, honestly...so many different varieties out there. get some flicks goin! i'll try to get some after i get home later on. been out of town for the weekend.

so what exactly makes these so hard to care for?

is it just the daily matinence?

amongst other things yes. I mean daily maintenance isn't that hard. I mean you have to water it enough and fertilize it if you decide to go that route. But there are a few things that differ in care compared to normal house plants. Repotting for instance isnt just dropping it in a new pot. Depending on species you need to have the proper soil mixture, mineral content. You have to secure the tree to the pot via wire through the drainage hole. Trim the root ball etc. There is just a lot more things to consider when it comes to bonsais.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now