MAC PEOPLE, I need your help.

This might not be "thread worthy," but I need some instant help on something that might be easily answered.

I need to know where I can find Apple Talk. I've used it before, where you type in the text and it gives you all the robot voices. But, I can't seem to find this shit on my computer. I've got an old ass G4 OSX 10.3.9. Yeah, it's old.

Anyways, I'm trying to find a way to use that, and export the sound file as an .AVI file (or any audio file that Final Cut Pro can read).

And yes, I know I can probably Google this, but I'm hoping someone can help me. I have to capture a bunch of video right now, so when I'm done --I'm hoping for an answer.

If I don't have an answer by the time I'm done with this footage, I'm banning the whole board and deleting all the props.

SHG_HeManPower.gif

And if you think I'm serious, and want to bitch about how mods power trip and all that --well then you're as gay as he-man.

heman-is-gay.gif

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i know theres a text editor program that does that, its on our super old school imac. i cant for the life of me remember the name, it was something generic like text edit or some shit like that.

to access it you had to open up the old school macos, whatever the fuck it was called.

I don't have a microphone, or any external device to record to right now.

damn, im outta ideas then.

i do miss messing around with the robot voice tho. my buddy and i used to write the most horribly graphic stories of murder and torture just because we thought it was funny to hear the robot voice say really foul shit.

My guess is that you have to run it in Classic mode since it's not a OS X application...try referring to the Apple database.

Wait, maybe I'm wrong...try opening up a terminal and using the "say" command.

Copy and paste this into the terminal-

say earl broclo esquire is a rookie

-then hit enter. It should just say whatever you type in.

I don't know how to change the voice, and you're going to have to transcribe everything you want the computer to say by hand (look for quotes online?), but it's a start.

Audacity is a free program you can download online, it will record from the internal microphone. The type text you can set in your system preferences, when you click on speech in your preferences, you can set up the robot voices, and the quick key from there. Open text edit, highlight your text, hit the quick key and boom, money.

if you're recording straight from youtube, put '&fmt=18' (no inverted commas) at the end of the URL.

that way you get high quality audio, sometimes as good as 320kbps.

this doesn't work with all clips though, cos obviously some were crappy audio before they uploaded.

i use audio hijack for all my audio ripping needs.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9379

Audacity is a free program you can download online, it will record from the internal microphone. The type text you can set in your system preferences, when you click on speech in your preferences, you can set up the robot voices, and the quick key from there. Open text edit, highlight your text, hit the quick key and boom, money.

Ok, so I found text edit, and I've got the robot voices reading what I type. So now I have to download Audacity, then import the read files into that?

I'm just trying to figure out how I can export the audio.

No, Audacity is really just a fancy recorder. You hit the big red button and start recording, play your loop/sample, then once it's done you hit the big red button to stop it. Then you get to see what you recorded as a...here, a pic is worth a thousand headaches (the kind I get explaining shit like this...no offense, Earl)-

audacity-mac-fixed.png

Okay, you see the buttons on top left...just like a tape deck, right? To the right are some buttons you don't need to worry about, then you have your levels, then the slider on the right is your output (what you hear) and the one on the left is the input (what goes into the machine). In case you get confused- speaker out, mic in. The squiggly shit on the bottom is what your sample "looks" like, you can move the cursor around in there and listen to whatever segment you want. There's also a edit dropdown that allows you to edit and crop shit.

Then you can save your file by hitting the "file" dropdown and hitting "save"...make sure to save it as a .mp3 or .wav, not as an Audacity project file (.aup). There should be an option that will ask you what format to save it in. Make a new folder called "samples" or something cute and put your new samples in there.

Earl- you're smart...also, this program is dead easy and tons of people on 12 oz have used it (I learned the ropes from podrido way back when) and they'll help you if you get stuck. But for what you want to do, what I told you is basically all you need to know and it's EASY.

Did I mention that this is easy? So get to it, post what you do when it's done.

I didnt really bother reading any previous posts, but I dont know about panther but in tiger/leopard go to system preferences then click on speech then look for "text to speech" tab, its also in the Universal access panel in the same system preferences screen. As for recording from your output, Audacity works just fine also there is Audio Hijack, a pay program but you can look for that shit on a torrent or something, its really easy and useful for recording dvd audio, skype conversations, web browser shit blah blah blah, hope that helps

1. Open a terminal window and use the say command (say followed by whatever you want to have the computer say.) DON'T PRESS ENTER YET.

2. Open Audacity and start recording (red button).

3. Go back to the terminal, click on the window and press enter. Speech ensues.

4. When it's done, go back to the Audacity window and press the stop button. Edit the blank space out then save the file as an mp3 or .wav.

That should do it.

I didnt really bother reading any previous posts, but I dont know about panther but in tiger/leopard go to system preferences then click on speech then look for "text to speech" tab, its also in the Universal access panel in the same system preferences screen. As for recording from your output, Audacity works just fine also there is Audio Hijack, a pay program but you can look for that shit on a torrent or something, its really easy and useful for recording dvd audio, skype conversations, web browser shit blah blah blah, hope that helps

This is my preferred method

Audio hijack is the shit

Also http://www.vixy.net for All your YouTube ripping needs