SOUL + FUNK (THE GOLDEN YEARS)

swordfish meatloaf

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
That's even more reason to post that shit. Share what you think others might have slept on. I know I post a lot of obvious shit, but if someone is just getting into this stuff, it's helping them out.

yeah bro, please. its at least helping me out. so many artists i wouldnt know where to begin

• Like 1

Anyone ever watch old sesame street? Am I the only one who thought they had some good breaks/music in general? I'd love to find some old Sesame records if they exist. Such good music.

You can get Sesame Street records. Harvey Wallbanger has a good collection of stuff like that.

Classic Sesame Street animation - Walk Panel

Classic Sesame Street: Jive Five

And of course the classic Pointer Sisters cut:

Pinball Number Count

Sesame Street was hip as fuck back in the day. They had a ton of good artists/actors/comedians involved. I'm psyched to see you were still getting the classics when you were a kid. I was born into the originals. To hear they are still showing them now is great! I was afraid they'd have Miley Cyrus singing the number song. I hate that cunt.

I WISH. From what I know its pretty modernized...they bring some good people on like feist and stuff but thats really it. When I was a kid I was just on the cuts of it becoming modern, I still got a lot of the classics and the pinball skit as well as the subway skit were my favorites. I have a lot of tapes and such that my mom bought me when I was a kid cuz she loves classic sesame street.

IF ANYONE HAS THESE UPLOADED OR SOMETHING. Hook me up

I was just talking about that pointer sisters sesame street jam. Thanks for the video link!

And Joe Bataan is the man....

Joe Bataan - What Good Is A Castle

I got a cover Joe Bataan did of Gil Scott Heron and Brian Jackson's "The Bottle" that kills. I will post it soon.

Edwin Starr - Running Back And Forth

Lamont Dozier - Fish Ain't Bitin'

FYI all these tracks can be downloaded by clicking on the player logo.

• Like 1

Donald Byrd "You And The Music"

Can't forget Wind parade. I play this all the time.

Wind Parade - Donald Byrd

Same goes for Love So Far Away.

Donald Byrd - Love's So Far Away

The Jimmy Castor Bunch E-Man

I went record shopping yesterday and picked up David Axelrod's "Heavy Axe." I can't fucking believe I slept on this album for so fucking long.

David Axelrod - Everything Counts

Candido - Soulwanco

holy shit at that Giorgio moroder chase track. i forgot all about that song. i didn't know we were delving into that "italo" genre. is that what'd youd call it? in chicago there called "classics" ill post a few that i like similar to that.

but for now Ray parker Jr. sorry if they've been posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y28iHItNHfM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFflzCEGWc0

They are classics because that's where house music came from and Chicago is definitely one of the birth sites of house music.

Real nice posts. That Powerline track is a timeless fucking classic.

Here's a good documentary clip on Chicago's involvement.

and here's a trailer for another doc that I've never heard of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgdnuBiYIhk

i saw that history of house music doc it was great, makes you want to be older so you could have expiernced it yourself. older heads still bump these jams driving thru the hood but thier kids arent into it as much. I can understand them thinking it to repetitive but man that shit makes you have a NEED to move. Ron Hardy was the man here in Chicago. only one i know of who would play a record backwards by flipping the arm upside down and playing the underside of the lp. damn this music needs to come back.

the song is loose joints all over my face. funky as shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sErApGs3J5s

Whats the name of that Doc? I've been getting into house music more (I'm a huge 90s house fan masters at work!)

The first one I posted is called "Pump up the Volume: History of House Music." The second one I posted is unknown. I want to find that one because it has people like Mark Farina, DJ Sneak, and Julius Papp. That's my era of house music. Over the past few months I've been getting back into house music because of Daily Session. My girlfriend thinks it's a total juxtaposition of character, due to the fact that she thinks I'm a champion homophobe. I try and tell her I don't care if someone's gay, I just can't deal with annoying people. Unfortunately there are a shitload of really annoying gay men out there and I can't help but talk shit. Plus, I think house music and it's culture has grown past the gay bars and pride parades. It just carries that stigmatization because people are close minded and don't see how far it's grown. There's a lot of positivity in the culture and the world definitely needs a lot more of that.

I feel like I'm derailing this thread, but house music has it's foundation in disco and disco has it's foundation in soul/funk/jazz. So I think that is what draws me to it. That and the fact that I can actually feel the music. With some tracks I can't help but do at least a head bob.

You should check out this documentary:

maestro.jpg

It covers the beginning of house music in NYC. It's low budget as fuck, but informative. Frankie Knuckles took this stuff to Chicago, and that's when it became "House" music. My buddy is a member of Mancuso's Loft parties and tells me they are the best thing he's ever experienced. He's going to take my girl and I to one of the parties, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Can you ppost a reminder in this thread when you do? I missed the last time you played. D:

Sorry, I forgot to post that I was playing. The session is up for download here:

http://dailysession.com/2010/06/15/session-488-funky-slice-06-14-10/

Track List:

01. Victor Buono – Man Boobs

02. The Jimmy Castor Bunch – You Better Be Good

03. Breakestra – Hit The Floor

04. Bo Diddley – Look At Grandma

05. Sugarman 3 & Co – Country Girl

06. Herbie Hancock – Fat Mama

07. Mandrill – Silk

08. Ramsey Lewis – Something About You

09. Freddie Hubbard – Crisis

10. David Axelrod – You’re So Vain

11. Bo Diddley – Shut Up, Woman

12. Richard Pryor – Woman Are Beautiful

13. Jimmy Castor Bunch – E-Man Party

14. The Salsoul Orchestra – Getaway

15. Bee Gees – Wind Of Change

16. Robin Kenyatta – Seems So Long

17. Deodato – Speak Low

18. Michael Jackson – Euphoria

19. Babe Ruth – The Mexican

20. Candido – Samba Funk

21. Roy Ayers presents Ubiquity – Spread It

22. The Soul Searchers – Blow Out

23. David Axelrod – It Ain’t For You

24. B.B King – Who Are You?

25. Clarence Carter – Sixty Minute Man

26. Doors – The Changeling

27. Bo Diddley _ Bad Trip

28. Herbie Hancock – Wiggle- Waggle

29. Wille Royal – General Alarm (The Message)

You can listen or download. Just right click/save as the download tab to get the file. Let me know what you think.

I just watches Maestro. Low Budget but I think thats part of what i liked about it. A lot of the songs they were playing are some of my favorite hosue songs, as well. It would have been nice to go to one of those loft/garage parties.

By the way, that mix is super nice. That Man Boobs skit was a perfect starter. I'm downloading a ton of these tracks already

one of my favorite Donald Byrd tracks - Stepping into tomorrow

amazing. seems to slow down time a little

I just picked this album up. My girl and I are on vacation and stopped by this music shop while window shopping. They had a used jazz vinyl bin and it was in there. I also got a couple Lonnie Liston Smith albums, a Deodato album, and a Ramsey Lewis album I'd never seen before.

5 albums --$20.

Not bad when you add it to the fact that we spent most of the day sitting on the beach and drinking margaritas.