----->>>GUINNESS Appreciation Thread<<<-------

dimendk

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, all those old people in Ireland who drink nothing but Guinness, as their dad did, must not know what they speak of.

I love Jameson. Is it technically better, or more expensive then Glenmorangie or Albour? No, but I love it anyway.

Guinness is the bomb. Like I said, I also like Beamish Stout and Fuller's Extra Stout Bitter, but most bars don't carry them.

Go back to the beer thread with your American micro-brewery bullshit snobbery, Chups!

/yes, prejudiced blanket statement

my taste buds don't lie.

Yeah, fuck all that noise. I drink a lot of really good beers-- I'm talking more-than-a-dollar-per-ounce shit-- and I've never found a stout with a better ratio of flavor to drinkability than Guinness. Yeah, I've had one or two that I think were a little better tasting, but there's no way I could drink more than one or two of them in a night because they're too heavy. I can drink Guinness all day, and often do while everyone else is choking down Miller Lights and Budweisers.

Also, the other stouts I've enjoyed were compared to Guinness in the states, because it's unfair to compare them to a fresh Guinness in Dublin. Nothing holds a candle to that. Sorry if it's not your favorite stout, but don't try to tell me it's not mine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Step One: The Glass

The bartender takes a dry, clean glass, which should be a 20-ounce tulip pint glass. The internal aerodynamics of a tulip glass allows the nitrogen bubbles to flow down the sides of the glass, and the contour 'bump' in the middle pushes the bubbles back to the center on their way up.

Step Two: The Angle

The glass should be held at a 45-degree angle under the tap. The tap faucet should not touch the tulip glass or beer. If you just hold it straight under the faucet, you'll get a big block of bubbles and a fish eye.

Step Three: The Pour

Let the beer flow nice and smoothly into the angled glass and fill it up three-quarters of the way.

Step Four: The Head

Let it settle. On the way through the faucet, the beer passes through a five-hole disk restrictor plate at a high speed, creating friction and bringing out nitrogen bubbles. The bubbles are agitated now -- they can't go back into the solution, so they flow down the interior sides and back up the middle -- but they can't escape. So they build this wonderful, creamy head on top. It's like an architect building a strong foundation.

Step Five: The Top-Off

Once it settles, you want to fill up the glass and top it off. Put a shamrock in the top. You allowed it to settle, you created a domed effect across the top of the pint, and now your head is looking proud over the glass. That's the perfect vision of the perfect pint.

Step Six: The First Sip

You drink with your eyes first. The cosmetic look of the pint is critical to the Guinness experience. We don't want anybody just putting liquid in a glass. Lastly, drink that there Guinness and buy a round for the house.

Actually step six is completely ass backwards.

as soon as a beer is poured the first thing you the drinker should be doing is smelling a beer. If you do not what you are doing is missing out on all the great hop and grain aromas that beer has that diminish very quickly after it is poured, after you have taken a good nice whiff now you can take the time to look at it all you want. the aromas of beer will fade away the color is not going anywhere.

the other thing that i think is funny about Guinness is that a good amount of its popularity is based on its creamy texture and full body but the general drinking public really has no clue that this is all just a process of how the beer is dispensed by use of N2 as opposed to CO2, really you could take any beer and pour it on n2 and its gonna be just like a Guinness and have that thick creamy texture. Like a boddingtons for instance

I'm a Sam Adams guy.

The new imperial series are fucking awesome, they have a higher alc content. The imperial stout is great comin in at 9.2 percent great taste, good head, one of the best mass produced stouts.

Guinness is like the Bud Light of stouts. Crappy taste, low alcohol content, mediocre at BEST. I always try to convince myself that maybe it's ok, but every time i have it, i remember why i don't care for it at all.

Guinness, Foreign Extra Stout Nigeria

Arthur Guinness took his time in getting round to brewing stout, but when he did it, it was worth the wait. He took a business gamble when he decided to focus exclusively on brewing stout but his determination and conviction paid off.

GUINNESS Foreign Extra Stout has a deep, rich and powerful taste and has the highest alcohol content of all GUINNESS beers.

It was originally brewed in Dublin and first exported in 1802 when beer was brewed to a higher alcoholic strength to survive long journeys by sea (at least that's what they used to claim!). Since 1962 it has been brewed throughout Asia, Africa and the Caribbean where it is the GUINNESS beer of choice and has become an important part of local culture. In fact Foreign Extra Stout now accounts for 40% of GUINNESS sold throughout the world.

Next time you're enjoying a drop of Guinness, raise your glass to the man himself.

Beer style: Stout »

Bottle size: 33cl

Percent alcohol: 7.5%

Country of origin: Nigeria »

Bottle price: £1.72

7.5% alcohol,its like drinkin syrup......not bad though