Bike Messengers?

autoteller

Any bike messengers on here? I just got a brand new job today as a bike messenger and so far it fucking rules, i just get to ride around the city all day checking out girls in skimpy clothes and occasionally give some guy in a suit stuff.

I'll probably still think it's awesome until i get doored though.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did. In the best and worst weather of Chicago. It was 9 degrees the last days at my job before I moved.

It was fun, then it sucked too when the weather blows.

No benefits, sheisty bosses. Elitists attitudes.

But riding off daily hangovers was great. Seeing a lot of girls and different parts of the city.

People that messenger in midwest to east coast weather know whats up with winter bikes, or parts that last only a season because of the salt and sand they put on the streets. Plastic bags over your socks before you put on your shoes. Head to toe layers and layers. Trekking through a lot of inches of snow on road tires. etc.

Fun while it lasted. Wouldn't want to do it again.

• Like 1

ima be doing it in boston. mainly downtown/longwood area, but there are times ( i've been told ) that i'm gonna have to take a ride out to quincy, but not without DAMN good rewards.

essentially it's a 400/week flat rate if i get taken on full time, but if i do some good work, i'm liable to get cash stacked onto that, i guess there are some dudes that just get lucky and have days where they just have run after run right next to eachother and can get like 6-700 at the end of the WEEK.

but yeah, i know what you mean about bike messengers. i got a lot of looks today because i don't look like a conventional bike messenger. i'm riding a bike from the 80s that's been fixed up, and it's a non-fixie, so i've gotten some flak. some cock just rode up next to me and was like 'HAH'. no idea why. i just was on my way without any bullshit.

i've been doing the office job thing for awhile, and really.i'm sick of it. i'd rather deal with stuck up bike messengers that'll split a joint with me if they see me smoking some bud on my bike than some bitch that got a lucky break at 23 and now won't promote anyone that isn't from the hood, which was the case in my last job, motherfuckers that were there for 2 months were getting promoted when my numbers were higher, and i was there more.

either way. 400 a week is pretty decent, considering i still do tech support on the side.

thanks for the awesome replies though. i really appreciate it.

- oh, and the first week is commission. but i get at least 280 bucks a week on unemployment, and i timed it so it's my last two weeks on unemployment so i'll be all set regardless.

I did it for about 10 years in three different cities.

Probably the two most important things is to make sure your bike is in good working condition and to wear a helmet.

Get one of these-

BU009502.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=2CEACCB058DE6765D685665318C211C1E30A760B0D811297

-and keep your manifest (job sheet) INSIDE the compartment so you won't lose it. You don't want to lose a manifest.

Carry the following-

-Basic tools (multitool, monkey wrench, tire levers, patch kit, pump) and a couple extra tubes. Make sure nothing on your bike can be easily removed...you can use hose clamps to secure your wheels if they aren't bolt on.

-An extra key for your lock with you somewhere other than where your main key is.

-A rain shell. (you never know)

-A couple of garbage bags to keep things dry. (see above)

-$20 in cash or a checkbook in case you have to pay for something and the client didn't give you the money. This happens with court filings a lot. Also helps in case of emergencies.

-Front and rear flashers (some cops are sticklers about this).

Put on sunscreen in the morning and drink a lot of water.

Try to get to sleep early and eat well for the first month or so till you get used to the workload. You should do this anyway but it helps starting out.

Don't carry food, anything that's fragile enough to get broken in a crash or anything you can get arrested for (drugs, weapons, etc.)....well, food is okay if you can get some screwtop Nalgene containers. Fragile stuff you can wrap up.

Try not to let shit in traffic get to you. It's not always easy but it will save your sanity if you can let most shit roll off of your back. If you do get pissed enough to do something wild, make sure you can get the hell out of there....it's almost always a bad move because there's a good chance whatever you do will catch up with you but shit happens.

Be safe and ride defensively. No package is worth a trip to the hospital or your life.

The best policy is to be friendly with your coworkers but getting caught up in the messenger scene can be a real timewaster. Unless that's what you're into.

If anyone tells you anything different from what I told you, they're lying to you.

That's about it.

The best argument in favor of riding a track bike is that there's fewer parts and it's easier to fix/maintain. On the other hand, quality parts are expensive and when something goes wrong it's usually major. Perfect example- I just fixed ink face's bike recently because the hub stripped out.

I can ride pretty much anything and get the job done, so all of the "it's a better, more efficient ride" arguments don't really hold water with me. If you want to do what all the cool kids are doing, at least be honest about it.

Perfect example- I just fixed ink face's bike recently because the hub stripped out.

oh yeah shai i meant to tell you about this, the next day i was at a bar and some dude came up and asked we could trade rear wheels, as they were the same make and model and he liked the colr of mine, so i told him the hub was stripped out on one side and he was still down with it. point of the story got a brand new back wheel and tire and 2 cogs on the cheap cheap. still riding the free wheel though.

In my opinion, the best bike to ride is a mountain bike with a basket and a rear rack. It's not as fast, but if you get doored you essentially have a front bumper that will take most of the impact. Also, it's a lot easier to carry weight, and that's where the money is. If you're in a flat city a beach cruiser with a basket is a good bet...they're about as easy to maintain as a track bike and they're cheap, plus there's nothing on them that your average bike thief will look twice at.

Second place would be to ride a touring/cross bike with a rear rack. Every month or so you're going to get stuck with something that will NOT fit in your bag and will either have to go on a rack or your handlebars...and riding with shit on your handlebars in traffic is no fun even if you've done it a thousand times.

As far as winter riding, it's all about fenders, clipless pedals and shoes (Time ATACs/Sidi Dominators all day) and the right clothes (wool base layers/socks and waterproof shells- Gore-tex doesn't really cut it).

Good call on the mountain bike Shai!

I rode a GT Timberline for a year when fixey's were coming into play and everyone was like "Dudemaster, you need to step up yo' game!" and I was all like "Naw."

A mountain bike may not be flashy but it's like driving a dependable American car.

P.S.

Winter riding...Cut a wide, plastic wiffle ball bat in half and use it as a fender. Works like a dream. Put a grocery bag on your seat too.

i'm good on a single speed, maybe later on i'll get another bike to run with, but for the summer/fall, i'm golden. maybe in the winter i'll end up getting a better bike more suited for new england shit winters.

I ride a single speed daily back and forth to class and whatever. Gets the job done and is low maintenance. Do whatever you feel is comfortable. On down the line you might get sick of it but take care of it then. Good luck with it all, but seriously wear a helmet. I can't stress that enough.