Obscure Burglary Tools of the Day: Ninja Rocks

maint_sparkplug_beru_lg.jpg

Ninja rocks are small bits of the ceramic from spark plugs, used by crackheads and jerkoffs to break any of the tempered glass on a car (anything except the windshield). Usually the door glass.

All your average crackhead needs to do to make some ninja rocks is to find a spark plug and smash the ceramic insulator part into about 1/2 to 1/4 inch bits. Then they just need to throw them at a car door glass and steal the 2 dollars in quarters and red Phillies hat from off of my seat while I’m eating Pho in the Vietnamese place. I hate crackheads.

What makes the whole thing so bizarre is that the ninja rocks don’t feel like they could break anything, they’re extremely light. A rock of similar size off the ground wouldn’t do it, but ninja rocks do. Why?

It has to do with hardness. Glass is actually “harder” than iron on the Mohs scale, and spark plug ceramic (technically called “aluminium oxide ceramic”) is much harder than glass. Aluminium oxide ceramic actually rates a 9 on the Mohs scale; diamonds are 10, glass is 6.5, and iron is 4.5. That’s the key to the whole thing, and why it’s surprisingly hard to break a window with a hammer and surprisingly easy to break it with a small, light little shard of innocent white spark plug ceramic.

And so, in conclusion, ninja rocks are interesting, and the next time you see a freaky little crackhead running around Philadelphia with a red Phillies hat and a bunch of broken little ceramic shards, run him over once for me.

Ninja Rock in Action

http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/707422/extreme_car_glass_crush_w_tiny_piece.swf

Article stolen from http://www.ridelust.com/obscure-burglary-tools-of-the-day-ninja-rocks/

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is obscure?

I known about this since I was in the 6th grade

We called them magic rocks tho, take the ceramic ring and tie it on some fishing line

Really works

Ps you also forgot they are used by me in juvenile delenquent form to come up on car phones back in the day

• Like 1

It's really not as hard as people think

As long as you have enough brains to understand the concept of a tumbler system and a steady hand you are good to go

I would think anyone with decent can controll could pick it up fine, you just apply tension and manually push the pins up into place. It takes a couple hours of practice... But really it's easier and faster to just prybar a lock open...

It's really not as hard as people think

As long as you have enough brains to understand the concept of a tumbler system and a steady hand you are good to go

I would think anyone with decent can controll could pick it up fine, you just apply tension and manually push the pins up into place. It takes a couple hours of practice... But really it's easier and faster to just prybar a lock open...

Or if there is no deadbolt just take a big pair of channel lock pliers, grab the doorknob with them and twist hard, strip it out.

I see aybee lurking.. But I'm willing to bet he has some big ass ham hands and I don't think that's gonna work out too well

I have small hands, but big fists. All the men in my family do. It's odd

Anyways, magic rocks are old school as fuck, although I never knew WHY they actually worked so this thread isn't an epic fail