I'm 50-50 on quitting my job right now...

DETO

There are only 16 days left in this school year, today we had a collaboration meeting with our grade level after school, the principal came into the classroom we were meeting in to let us know about some changes for next year. I had heard from the principal and my immediate supervisor (SpEd Department Chair) that i would be moved to the 5th grade. i was't happy with this idea, but i went along with it, (i really didn't have a choice) So anyway today during our meeting she tells me, "you aren't going to be very happy with me..." so she precedes to tell me, "we're moving you to kindergarten." we talk about it and she tells me whom i'll directly be working with (in the full-inclusion classrooms) and the first thing i tell her is, "i am not happy about this and i do not get along with so-so," (whom i'll be working with directly on a daily basis,) after about a half hour discussion with her, i'm basically told, "it's too bad if you don't want to move, or if you'll be unhappy, that's just what were doing and that's that" i thought to myself, "you better not do something your gonna regret later" and just left. but having a while to think about it on the way home, i'm really unsure what to do, if i wanted to work at a job i hate i would have stayed working at my previous job and made more money. i came into this profession (and took a paycut) because it was something i wanted to do, and thought to myself "my happiness is more important that a few dollars more a week" but if i'm gonna hate my job, ahhhhh, i don't know what to do. i would leave to another district, but the closest district to ours would be a 2 hour commute everyday. anyway, i did talk to my union rep and he said he would do eerything in the union's power to help me. and it's not just working with that fucking lady that i made refrence to earlier, it's working with kindergarten age kids, with special needs to top it off. i enjoy working with the 9-10 year old kids i work with. [/no pedo]

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Thats tough man, did you plea your case about how you took a pay cut to solely work with the kids you are working with now? Maybe, in the worst case scenario you would at least be able to get some more money out of the deal if you had to teach kindergarden.

"we're moving you to kindergarten."

NCLB.jpg

but seriously try it out for a couple of weeks...you might end up liking it. im kinda in the same situation as you right now...not feelin the jay-o too tough but like it's bein said with the current economy most cant really afford to turn their nose at employment right now

my moms in a similar situation.

she finally got hired as a teacher after moving and shes been shoved around to different schools every year. shes finally been at one school (she teaches OCS in highschool) and they are talking about moving her down to elementary. oh, and her paycheck is being furloughed(sp?) so right now if she worked as a waitress fulltime shed be making more money. but shes still sticking to the the "i love my work" motto you were stating.

just turn the kids into complete asshole so the next teacher up will have to deal with them next year.

Look before you leap, you might find another cool/better job in a private school or something close by.

I have a hard time believing there is only one position in you're entire district that they have open for you.

I'd at least wait it out till next fall or whenever classes start then resign, a lot can happen before then.

My thoughts:

1: Teachers typically make shit pay to begin with (depends where you are) so you better be in it for personal satisfaction as you'll probably get more of that than $$.

2: Give it a try. I know all about working with kids and the younger ones can be difficult, especially w/ special needs, but it has its high points too. I mean, outside of behavioral management you know you're not going to be doing anything especially complicated, it will be all milk & cookies, finger painting, and telling kids to take their finger out of their nose and excuse yourself if you have to fart. Plus, children are innocent, call things exactly as they see them, and say some of the funniest shit as a result.

3: If you're a regular on 12oz you're already an expert at dealing with special needs children, how can you go wrong?