art.

yinz n'at

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

air_05braun2.jpg

To Drunken Asshole Oner.... You're Way Off

Mai Braun concluded her Chinati residency with an exhibition entitled More Prototypes in August 2005. Braun's work draws on everyday materials—house paint, lumber, papier-mâché, thin tubes of fluorescent plastic—in order to create witty and delicate mobiles, stabiles, and sculptures. At the Locker Plant she showed work made in Marfa, including sculptures constructed from cardboard boxes donated by Pueblo Market and the Dollar General. Braun altered and reconstituted the boxes in a variety of ways. For Cardboard Structure No. 1 she crushed the boxes flat, fitted them together with tabs and slots, then hung the big tottering structure from the ceiling of the Locker Plant's back room. Rock Pile was just that: a heap of rubble made from boxes painted a uniform grey and spilled in the corner of the Locker Plant's back courtyard. Rock Pillar stood one tall, rectangular box upright as a solo piece, humble and unadorned except for its painted and faceted peak. The artist also showed sculptures made from thin, painted wooden dowels interlaced to form looping arabesques, as well as other work made during her residency. Braun's work courts but doesn't demand attention. Rigorously constructed, it seems nonetheless perpetually on the verge of collapse. Insinuating itself into the viewer's field of perception, it hints at a wide range of possible associations while never disguising its quotidian origins or the process of its making.

Mai Braun was born in Berlin and attended the Edinburgh College of Art in Scotland and the Royal College of Art in London. In 1997-99 she participated in the Core Fellowship program at the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston. She has exhibited in the U.S. and abroad, including group shows at the Museum of Fine Arts and DiverseWorks in Houston; Alagalleria in Helsinki, Finland; and the Bronx Museum of Art in New York. Her first solo show was held at Brooklyn Fire Proof, Inc., in January-February 2006. She participated in a two-person show at the Kluuvi Gallery, Helsinki City Art Museum, in Finland in March 2006; in April 2006 she took part in a group show entitled "Open Networks Brooklyn" at Ampersand International Arts in San Francisco. In May 2007 she showed work as part of a two-artist exhibition at Chuchifritos Gallery in New York.

air_05braun2.jpg

To Drunken Asshole Oner.... You're Way Off

Mai Braun concluded her Chinati residency with an exhibition entitled More Prototypes in August 2005. Braun's work draws on everyday materials—house paint, lumber, papier-mâché, thin tubes of fluorescent plastic—in order to create witty and delicate mobiles, stabiles, and sculptures. At the Locker Plant she showed work made in Marfa, including sculptures constructed from cardboard boxes donated by Pueblo Market and the Dollar General. Braun altered and reconstituted the boxes in a variety of ways. For Cardboard Structure No. 1 she crushed the boxes flat, fitted them together with tabs and slots, then hung the big tottering structure from the ceiling of the Locker Plant's back room. Rock Pile was just that: a heap of rubble made from boxes painted a uniform grey and spilled in the corner of the Locker Plant's back courtyard. Rock Pillar stood one tall, rectangular box upright as a solo piece, humble and unadorned except for its painted and faceted peak. The artist also showed sculptures made from thin, painted wooden dowels interlaced to form looping arabesques, as well as other work made during her residency. Braun's work courts but doesn't demand attention. Rigorously constructed, it seems nonetheless perpetually on the verge of collapse. Insinuating itself into the viewer's field of perception, it hints at a wide range of possible associations while never disguising its quotidian origins or the process of its making.

Mai Braun was born in Berlin and attended the Edinburgh College of Art in Scotland and the Royal College of Art in London. In 1997-99 she participated in the Core Fellowship program at the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston. She has exhibited in the U.S. and abroad, including group shows at the Museum of Fine Arts and DiverseWorks in Houston; Alagalleria in Helsinki, Finland; and the Bronx Museum of Art in New York. Her first solo show was held at Brooklyn Fire Proof, Inc., in January-February 2006. She participated in a two-person show at the Kluuvi Gallery, Helsinki City Art Museum, in Finland in March 2006; in April 2006 she took part in a group show entitled "Open Networks Brooklyn" at Ampersand International Arts in San Francisco. In May 2007 she showed work as part of a two-artist exhibition at Chuchifritos Gallery in New York.

Like I said. A prime example of some artschool fag who's parents should've pulled his/her trustfund out from under him/her.

You don't even have to be an artist to tell that that shit is garbage and an insult to real artists.

okay how about this, we tell people which writers are living off a rich daddy trust fund, like the really famous ones, and then we also tell people what famous contemporary artists "write", like the "tag names" to go along with the names in Art Forum magazine...would that be crazy? cause we could totally do it. Huuuummm trusts funds and art world fame, Im seeing ....... and all kinds of things openening up. Nevermind.

okay how about this, we tell people which writers are living off a rich daddy trust fund, like the really famous ones, and then we also tell people what famous contemporary artists "write", like the "tag names" to go along with the names in Art Forum magazine...would that be crazy? cause we could totally do it. Huuuummm trusts funds and art world fame, Im seeing ....... and all kinds of things openening up. Nevermind.

Graffiti and art are two separate things.

You can get fame off tags and two color sloppy fillins if you do them enough, and be laughed at for doing dope pieces if that's all you do.

Like I said I'm no artist, but I would assume that art is based on quality and talent.

That's why people spend mad money on the shit, right?

Are you seriously calling this shit "art" and comparing it to the majority of the shit in this thread?

And if so, why?

mbrf0810x-m.jpg

mbrf0702-m.jpg

i wont even bother reading most of this but im with doa real art is the majority of what has been posted not some bullshit art fag thinking they can be lazy by doodling in highlighters on a newspaper and then selling it to euro trash who think their the best thing since peanut butter and bacon.

real art died when these bitches started being glorified. i even hate most of Picasso's late work.

but whatever keep looking at a piece of shit thinking your a genius for seeing its hidden meaning.b

btw there is none, you got played his got your money and youve got a pice of dogdshit on your wall.

I hear what you guys are saying. I'm not defending that person's work, I actually don't care for her stuff either ( the pieces on the newspapers). But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Here's some more:

Jim Shaw

jimshawJFK.jpg

jim_shaw_Donner_Party_2_015.jpg

Xylor Jane (oil on panel, crazy in person)

p1000602.jpg

xjweb5.jpg

Martin Kippenberger

Kipp1.jpg

drohojowska-philp11-19-08-5.jpg

Jason Rhoades

artwork_images_1162_338600_jason-rhoades.jpg

rhoadesblackpussy3.jpg

Tomma Abts

meko.jpg

abts-veeke.jpg

Robert Longo (charcoal on paper)

robert-longo11064519.jpg

103008_bomb.jpg

Graffiti and art are two separate things.

You can get fame off tags and two color sloppy fillins if you do them enough, and be laughed at for doing dope pieces if that's all you do.

Like I said I'm no artist, but I would assume that art is based on quality and talent.

That's why people spend mad money on the shit, right?

Are you seriously calling this shit "art" and comparing it to the majority of the shit in this thread?

And if so, why?

mbrf0810x-m.jpg

mbrf0702-m.jpg

so true i hate the whole "graffiti is art" bullshit

if your a writer you have to admit that you are vandalising, not an artist.

unless your a crazy ass piecer, but if your a bomber and catch tags, your no artist.

Graffiti is not art. Ive always said that. However certain graffiti writers become famous artists outside graffiti in the REAL "ART WORLD" whatever the fuck that is. Not because of talent but mostly through peer groups, girlfriends, hot trends, and sensitivity. Im not trying to talk in code but it feels like no one is getting what i'm talking about. You must be even further from the circle of people I'm refering to than I am. Either way somebody posted Dale Chihuly so close this thread please.

I agree with Viperface. How is graffiti not art?! I've seen plenty of tags and throws that were just as satisfying as some of the pieces that were in a museum right down the street. Trying to break all the shit down into categories is just pointless (and impossible).

Tony Oursler

oursler_caric.jpg

1011_Oursler294157.jpg

Ron Mueck

baby_ron_mueck.jpg

in_bed_542.jpg

Chris Johanson

chris-johanson-5-18-07.jpg

450.JPG