School

Weapon X

the toughest thing is to take a break after highschool and "take time off" becuase trying to go back after you get a job and comfortable with the way your life is now but wish it was better is tough, i dont care what anyone says.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd hate to ruin your dreams, but it's gonna take a lot more than good grades in junior college to get a full ride to Harvard or Yale.

I hate to point this out, but it's not impossible. My school's not Harvard or Yale, but it's in the top 10 in the US News & World Report list (I transferred from a CC). I haven't paid a dime towards tuition. Textbooks, on the other hand...:angry:

I could have typed this word for word 3 years ago...

Do the community college thing for 2 years... I started CC in the fall 2006, only took 2 night classes that semester. It was alot easier than I thought it would be. Just by showing up, handing in papers on time, and studying for a few hours before exams, I was getting mostly A's. Transferred out of there with a 3.7 this past summer.

The school I'm at now gives me free tuition if I take 5 classes per semester and maintain a 3.0 or higher. I had a financial aid advisor tell me that tons of scholarship money goes unclaimed every year, because people don't apply for alot of them. So the money's out there.

As for being old, it's not that bad... I'm 27 and will probably be in school another 2 years before I have my bachelor's. Usually people just think I'm a grad student.

yeah that sounds like it would be good for me. after 12 years of school, and two weeks of college i know myself to good to know that i could'nt just jump into 5-6 class semesters.as far as what type of classes i still dont know of what path i want to take, although i'm probly going to end up starting off with some basic classes. its good to hear about people who are in/have been through the same thing.

I just scanned over this thread, so it may have already been covered, but if you have an actual desire to go to college, do it now before you lose that desire. I don't know the details of canadian financial aid, but look into it, talk to some advisors at the universities you're interested in, etc. I've tended to lean towards night classes for all of my school career, and to be quite honest i prefer having class discussions or working with the "older" folks who are taking a few night classes and working a job over the vast majority of the college kids who only know sports and frat parties.

And as other people have stated, you won't be out of place at all. I've had plenty of classes with people who had to be in their 60s or older.

i just wrote the longest entry telling ppl to get into engineering, and i accidently pressed 'back'

summary:

shit tons of money right off the bat

TONS of opportunity to get hired in the hundreds of branches of inudstires that stems from a certain discipline.. electrical, civil, mechanical, aero, bio, ocean, materials, etc

50-65K starting, son..

ya'll are nerd ass niggas anyway. i'm sure w/ half the effort u put into getting props u could muster out some passing grades in engineering..

o btw, u don't need straight A's in engineering to get hired... if u got a diploma, ur good..trust

i know dudes w/ 2.0 averages getting 70K starting jobs...think about that one

I hate to point this out, but it's not impossible. My school's not Harvard or Yale, but it's in the top 10 in the US News & World Report list (I transferred from a CC). I haven't paid a dime towards tuition. Textbooks, on the other hand...:angry:

One other thing towards Harvard/Yale....my girl did not go there for her degree, but- she had to do an internship to complete her degree and got placed at a site at Yale. So, while she did not graduate from there, she can list on her resume that she did work/intern there, which is still impressive to employers.

i'm going into pharmacy:

pretty much guaranteed job

about 100k starting

i might have to do an extra year or two, but i can probably make as much or more doing research which only requires a ba and not a phd

Dr. Clean, b

my gf is doing the pharmacy school thing right now. really tough program, but rewarding in the end. But for 100k+ money, you need to become a Doctor of Pharmacy. So its just like going to med school, only specializing in drugs.

Plus, you will be so deep in student loan debt at the end. however, depending on where you work after you graduate, there are signing bonuses. One of her friends just signed a 3 year contract with either Walgreens or CVS, and the bonus was $25,000 - on top of the $100k/year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Pharmacy

http://www.ehow.com/how_4677419_become-a-pharmacist.html

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-pharmacy-schools/rankings

Someone stated that going to CC poses a problem when transferring credits attained there to a Uni. Yes it can be an obstacle but, any CC offering a 2+2 program as they call it here (upstate New York) will have a transfer program guaranteeing your credits will be applicable to whichever Uni you choose.

The benefits of doing the 2+2 is its economic advantages, obviously. And my favorite aspect being is, if you are intelligent but just didn't give a shit in HS the University will generally overlook your HS transcript.

A lot of my friends dropped out of HS, got their GED, went to CC, and now are thriving at their Uni. Just a different path for those (like me) who find HS to be too conventional.