iPhone Applications & Discussion Thread

Pistol

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Fuckin hate this goddamn phone.

Shouldn't have left android.

Yea I'm still rolling with the 4...I'm gonna buy a google unlocked phone my coworker put me on to. I think it's a nexus or something like that. He said it was $300 no contract for any service you have. You buy it straight from google. It also comes with android. I'll post it when he tells me the name again.

• 4 years later...

About to ditch my iPhone or at the very least get a second phone that only does calls and text. Preferably with a real keyboard (blackberry style) and definitely no GPS or ability to install a bunch of dumb shit. Or just straight up get a flip phone.

App I’m using most? Probably the browser followed by Instagram. Do listen to podcasts often and recently managed to find all my music after almost a year (buried in the cloud under iTunes Match after they reworked their interface and transitioned to a subscription based service. Whole other topic, but hate that you can’t really buy music and instead pay monthly to stream shit.

@Leicaaaa Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, LOL! I've never used Android, but the platform looks like a fragmented mess. I actually like Apple and usually hate Google as well, but mostly I can't see moving to a less integrated solution where the handset maker isnt the ones also producing the OS. Plus not down to start over again with all the apps. For that, I'll just throw it all away entirely.

What don't you like about your phone? What handset is it?

• 1 month later...

Looking for a good app that has eye drop and color fills with multiple layers. I don’t have a computer much less any adobe software. Just looking to tweek some designs around a bit. Bonus for working with vectors and supporting various files. Nothing professional though. 

Edited by Pistol

Pretty amazing to me how few people seem to have computers these days. Guess it makes sense why Apple is now charging as much as $1200 for an iPhone, when it would seem fewer and fewer people are bothering with it.

Ironically in some ways, how this reminds me of the social media thread (and my criticisms on how its affected discussion and relationships) in that you can do just enough on mobile these days to skip getting the computer, but in reality, its just a superficial version of the real experience that happens to be enough to mostly fill the need.

I frequently recommend Pixlr as an alternative photo editor for people without Photoshop. They have a mobile app, but I've never used it. Link: https://pixlr.com/mobile

On 6/15/2018 at 12:03 PM, misteraven said:

@Leicaaaa Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, LOL! I've never used Android, but the platform looks like a fragmented mess. I actually like Apple and usually hate Google as well, but mostly I can't see moving to a less integrated solution where the handset maker isnt the ones also producing the OS. Plus not down to start over again with all the apps. For that, I'll just throw it all away entirely.

What don't you like about your phone? What handset is it?

Android is a fragmented mess, for sure.  A large part of this has to do with how ARM licenses their processor IP and what their specifications were...    some quick / annoying examples of this:

• In the ancient ARMv5 era, there was a feature level of processor that supported a mode called Jazelle, which was intended to be a hardware Java VM and would have sped up that language quite a bit.  ARM's "minimal implementation" was just a slow-ish trap into a software Java VM, though, so almost nobody implemented it in hardware because it would have been more expensive.
  • ARMv7 has a set of vector floating point instructions called VFP and another integer set called NEON.   VFP could be optionally implemented with 16 registers instead of 32, which meant that a bunch of phones couldn't run code built for the same processor level if they used the full register set.  In addition, there were 4 feature levels of VFP and NEON was optional. 
  • Maybe the least annoying, but there are also three instruction sets depending on processor version / feature level.   ARM instructions are all the same length, Thumb1 instructions were 2 bytes instead of 4, and Thumb2 instructions are variable-width 2 or 4 byte.  Switching between the modes and being compatible requires special branch instructions that rely on the lowest bit of the address being set.   This isn't a problem if you just build everything to be aware of the interop between modes and use what you feel like, unless whoever wrote the OS didn't do that. 
  • ARMv8 has deprecated a couple of things which were later removed (the IT instruction) but has been generally better at warning people about it in advance. 

Another issue on the native code side of things for Android is that google didn't include a commercially usable C++ standard library that actually supported all C++ features for a very long time.  The one that supported everything properly was GPL'd so couldn't be used in anything anyone wanted to sell without them releasing source. 

Apple got around almost all of these things by being the only hardware manufacturer, and eventually making their own processors, but there were still quite a few times where backwards compatibility was broken with apps.  This would have been fine, but their new XCode releases would often stop supporting compilation for older modes so it made things more difficult on developers wanting to support old phones at the expense of the current stuff being guaranteed to run. 

15 hours ago, Pistol said:

Looking for a good app that has eye drop and color fills with multiple layers. I don’t have a computer much less any adobe software. Just looking to tweek some designs around a bit. Bonus for working with vectors and supporting various files. Nothing professional though. 

Have you tried Adobe's phone / tablet apps?  I've been messing around with Adobe Sketch (I think, they have a few) and although it's no Illustrator it's all vector-based and supports most of what you want.   They're all free on Android, I doubt it's different on iOS, and perform amazingly well for adobe software.  It will export to .png for emails and has an "export to illustrator" which appears to send a .ai file to Creative Cloud storage, but since I haven't had a creative cloud subscription in several years I have no idea what it thinks it's sending to in that case.

1 hour ago, misteraven said:

Pretty amazing to me how few people seem to have computers these days. Guess it makes sense why Apple is now charging as much as $1200 for an iPhone, when it would seem fewer and fewer people are bothering with it.

I think this is mainly a reflection of what most people were actually using their computers for in the first place.  Tons of people had computers for the sole purpose of email, web, and simple word processing.   Although I'm not good at it some can type very fast on their phones thanks to adaptive text entry / swipe keys.  Many people don't even need the set of features something like LibreOffice / MS Office contains, and most don't do image editing on a level that requires Photoshop. 

I still think the prices on new carrier unlocked phones (esp. Apple's) are stretching credibility pretty heavily, though.  I forget what the actual fabrication costs of the processors / etc they're using are, but I remember a breakdown of iPhone 4 that indicated the phone was well under $100 in parts and that was in the listed bulk prices which weren't anywhere near the quantity apple buys. 

Gotta love their marketing, too.  Take creepy tech and make it a desired feature.  

A tiny space houses some of the most sophisticated technology we’ve ever developed, including the cameras and sensors that enable Face ID.

Face ID

A revolution in recognition.

Secure Authentication

Your face is now your password. Face ID is a secure and private new way to unlock, authenticate, and pay.

Facial Mapping

Face ID is enabled by the TrueDepth camera and is simple to set up. It projects and analyzes more than 30,000 invisible dots to create a precise depth map of your face.

Animoji

The TrueDepth camera analyzes more than 50 different muscle movements to mirror your expressions in 16 Animoji. Reveal your inner panda, pig, or robot.

Ok...   this is about half of what Apple's page on the phone talks about along with the neural net hardware.  I didn't realize typing a password was that difficult, but whatever. 

My concerns with this are both their willingness to share the data with 3rd party devs, who are more or less a crapshoot on mobile, and the scattered infrared laser the thing is shooting straight at your face.  It's scattered into ~30,000 points, but AFAIK nobody has done long term studies on low intensity direct laser radiation like this (which will be used more often than anyone would normally be getting direct-beam laser exposure), and I can't find anywhere that Apple has listed the output power of the laser module.  IR lasers don't generally cause the same type of immediate retinal damage a visible laser would, but have other issues and even relatively weak (10mW) DPSS green lasers from chinese manufacturers are considered fairly dangerous by laser enthusiasts because of the IR leakage.  Discussions on Apple forums just consist of the usual group of people defending the company and denying that anything dangerous would ever happen, but I'll buy that when I find actual numbers. 

Here's a fun video of the laser in action.   MS Kinect uses a similar system to map rooms (meaning this ought to be able to do a limited level of the same in low light), and a couple of old Sony digicams used a visible light version to provide accurate low-light autofocus, so it isn't anything too new, it's just much closer to your eyes than either of those. 

• Like 2

• KILZ FILLZ pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...