Should I Join The Army??

MaxRoach

i'm stuck in a decent paying, but shitty job. i've lived in the same city my entire life except for a brief 6 months.

i'm pretty much broke, want to travel, and want to go to college.

it seems like a yes, right? i get training and travel and meet people. at the same time i'm not entirely sure of myself in that environment and worried that once i sign up, and i'll regret it fully. when really i could probably just stay at my shitty job, bank my money, travel on my own, and take out a loan for college.

i've lurked and seen a couple of you are in the military. was it worth it?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wasn't planning to cry about it, dummy. i'm looking for direction in life. i'm 100% against the war(s) currently going on and i'm not all about guns, either, but i suppose i could get medical training? transportation training? i don't know... just wondering what people thought. if any of you have considered it ever?

I think joining right now is okay if you're willing to assume the risks, but odds are that skating through the next four years behind a desk is not an option.

If you want to get training in relative safety, go with the Coast Guard.

Join the coast guard. Join green peace.

If yer against the war and guns then WHY THE ARMY?

Training for other fields, like a career and something to look forward to besides getting shitfaced every night.

unfortunately life ain't all that right now... trying to find something to give me a dash of self-confidence.

i'm going to look into the air force and coast guard too.

Air Force = a technical job that will pretty much get you a job at any airport

Coast Guard = if you get the right port, you will get to pretty much shoot anything that moves

Army = Some tech jobs if you can cut it, but if you are a dumbass you are going to be a tanker/cook/or dirty leg. Which equals no job

Marines = Same as army except stupider

Navy = Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash

lol. im gonna have to anyways.

Information letter and day

At 17 years of age, male Swiss citizens receive a letter detailing their military obligations. At 18 years of age, they are sent marching orders to present themselves at a nearby barracks for a day of information. They are given presentations explaining the various branches of service and prerequisites for certain positions such as jet pilot (which requires two years of flight school outside of military service). Those wishing to take part in civilian service or weaponless service are instructed to address a letter detailing their intentions to their canton's military authority prior to recruitment.

Conscripts are also issued a service booklet in which the person's attendances or exemptions are recorded. To avoid conflicting with studies or work, they are also asked to pick a time (typically corresponding to spring, summer and autumn periods) most convenient for recruitment and start of service. Typically, a conscript will attend recruitment at 19 years of age and begin service at 20, but may legally postpone recruitment until 23 years of age.

Due to a new military reform enacted in 2005, it is no longer possible to postpone the initial training to finish university, although it is possible to postpone in order to finish high school or equivalent apprenticeships (for example for an aspiring carpenter who might only finish training at 19 or 20). For this reason many people try to get out of military service, so they can attend university immediately after finishing high school. It is possible to split the time in basic training (as recruit) and service (as soldier) which would allow one to start university immediately, the second half must be served at the earliest possible opportunity, usually Christmas break, a time which is usually used to study for exams. Hence, this practice is very hard on the student, and generally not recommended. The successive training weeks can also be postponed, but there is limited scope. In general, men interrupt their work during these weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Switzerland

1.jpg.9988842b478202293234d77a8904d60f.jpg

i'm stuck in a decent paying, but shitty job. i've lived in the same city my entire life except for a brief 6 months.

it seems like a yes, right? i get training and travel and meet people. at the same time i'm not entirely sure of myself in that environment and worried that once i sign up, and i'll regret it fully. when really i could probably just stay at my shitty job, bank my money, travel on my own, and take out a loan for college.

i've lurked and seen a couple of you are in the military. was it worth it?

Yeah bro... you want to travel so join the fucking Army, get sent to some desert country in the middle east where everyone hates you and hang out on base with a bunch of angry sweaty dudes for the next 8 years or untill you get shot and/or killed. Or maybe you'll be riding in a truck and some roadside bomb leaves you a crippled amputee for the rest of your life.

Brilliant idea, Hoss.

Sure beats the fuck out of traveling on your own to places that you actually want to go and with the freedom to do whatever you want. :rolleyes:

JoinTheArmy.jpg

jointhearmyvacancies.jpg

jointhearmyvacancies.jpg.2194cf786f78e94cef0aa1dcc10dccc6.jpg

travel is not a top concern, but i threw it in there.

i really want to go back to college but have NO money, probably can't get a real loan for another year as it is.

my main reason for even thinking of joining the army is career training. something possibly worthwhile that will give me a little bit of paper and perhaps make me feel needed. i stated something in the medical field... to help those injured soldiers you just mentioned.

just wondering if anyone had joined themselves and what they thought.

I would encourage you to better yourself in a path that does not involve becoming part of the US war machine, especially considering you are in opposition to the current campaign of terror being carried out by our government.

Kind of a no brainer in my opinion.

i really want to go back to college but have NO money, probably can't get a real loan for another year as it is.

my main reason for even thinking of joining the army is career training. something possibly worthwhile that will give me a little bit of paper and perhaps make me feel needed. i stated something in the medical field... to help those injured soldiers you just mentioned.

Medics get shot and blown up by IED's too.

Listen to whoever it was that said to join the Coast Guard.

it seems like a yes, right? i get training and travel and meet people. ?

if you want to travel to a desert country where people are shooting at you then go for it dude

also, no booze or pr0n allowed

become an apprentice to a carpenter, plumber, electrician, welder.

This doesn't seem that difficult.

NIGGA DONT JOIN ANY OF THAT SHIT. GET ON YOUR GRIND AND MAKE YOURSELF WHAT YOU WANNA BE...FUCK OUTTA HERE, YOU GOTTA BE A SUCKER TO JOIN THE ARMY, EITHER THAT OR YOUR POPS AND HIS POPS DID IT AND YOU'RE JUST LIVIN UP TO THAT SHIT...

SAVE YOUR MONEY, GET FINANCIAL AID, COOK SOME PAPERS IF YOU DONT QUALIFY. "MERO THE ARMY TEACHES YOU DISCIPLINE"...YEAH IT "TEACHES YOU DISCIPLINE" NIGGA MY POPS TAUGHT ME DISCIPLINE I DONT NEED NO SHAVED HEAD WHITE DUDE SCREAMING AT ME WITH THE WORD "NIGGER" DYING TO ESCAPE HIS MOUTH. FUCK OUTTA HERE. ARMY IS FOR GED NIGGAS. I GOT OPTIONS. YOU SAYIN YOU AINT GOT NO OPTIONS?

• Like 1

Air Force = a technical job that will pretty much get you a job at any airport

Coast Guard = if you get the right port, you will get to pretty much shoot anything that moves

Army = Some tech jobs if you can cut it, but if you are a dumbass you are going to be a tanker/cook/or dirty leg. Which equals no job

Marines = Same as army except BETTER, HARDER, FASTER, STRONGER

Navy = Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash

*Fixed

• Like 1

i dont know why so many of you are knockin this.

personally, fuck the army, go MARINE CORPS

you need to be able to do 20 pullups, 50 crunches, and run 3 miles in 28 minutes or less.

its a dream of mine to be Marine Recon or a Airbone "Screaming Eagle" paratrooper.

im giving regular life a few more years, but i am seriously considering saying fuck all this and joining up

i want to shoot guns for free, i want to survive the crucible and prove to myself that im not a wimp, i want to get my body in shape and wake up early morning to run miles, instead of waking up at 1 in the afternoon everyday and smoking myself retarded

the military is good for self enlightment and testing your own self limits.

If you play your cards right, you can go to school for next to nothing...unless you're trying to get an Ivy League education. Then you need rich parents.

I'm not against people joining the military, but I think it should be a 100% informed decision. That means not believing everything the recruiting office will tell you to get you to sign up, doing independent research, getting everything promised upon signup in writing (even though that has mixed results), etc.

I think too many people get into the rut that you're in and sign the contract without really taking a hard look at what their options are or what they're getting into. Like you said, they need direction or discipline or whatever it is that they're lacking and figure that the military is the place to acquire that...and that's not really what it's about. Discipline is something you have to develop and maintain on your own, the military teaches you how to follow orders...the problem is that people can't always make that distinction.

If i join up im trying for OCS first, officer candidates school

Fuck going into battle a lance corporal gunner on some humvee.

If i go i want to be an officer, living in the officers tent fuck grunts, and chillin back in the column reading maps and shoutin air strikes into radios.

i know about 4 of my boys who joined the corps. One of them was unfortunate to end up first wave in Fallujah and killed kids and he tellls everyone to NOT join even though hes a fucking savage who is trying out for Recon right now at some special camp.

2 of my homies joined up and love that shit, one went from being a little kid who always got picked on to literally a buff ass nigga who can destroy skulls, as soon as he came back from basic he swoooped up one of the dime pieces in our high school class, no one saw that coming! kid went from being our little jokester mascot homie to someone we dont even attempt to punk or make fun of anymore.

another homie joined up and got the boot for drug use, but he finished the 3 mile run in 18 minutes which is fucking ridiculous

• Like 2