Swine Flu:A new pandemic?

Removed

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How to dumb the world down even further.

Indonesian minister says swine flu could be man-made

Updated at: 1325 PST, Tuesday, April 28, 2009

http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=76103

JAKARTA: Indonesian Heath Minister Siti Fadilah Supari said Tuesday the deadly swine flu virus could have been man-made, as she urged calm over its spread around the world.

The minister did not elaborate but in the past she has said Western governments could be making and spreading viruses in the developing world to boost pharmaceutical companies' profits.

"I'm not sure whether the virus was genetically engineered but it's a possibility," she told reporters at a press conference called to reassure the public over the government's response to the swine flu threat. No cases of the disease have been reported in Indonesia, the country worst hit by the bird flu virus which has killed about 250 people worldwide since 2003.

Elected officials should be more responsible than that.

As for the article posted above by the chap from ANU (which is a great university), sure, influenza doesn't typically wipe out generations or civilisations. However, 2-4% of the population is still tens of millions of people. When you have large scale death like that it also means you're going to have something like 2-300 million people infected/sick. Those kinds of numbers create serious trouble.

Nations close borders to protect populations, much farming and agriculture is shut down and certain elements of the global population are hit harder than others (countries, races, social classes). This kind of issue has serious effects on the global economy and basic functioning of life as it is today. Just because it doesn't wipe out whole civilisations doesn't mean there isn't a threat to our civilisation and security.

No need to panic or go to extremes, but complacency can exacerbate the problem.

03252007195527hypaway.jpg.a0cfcbf4ba03972d0e669a70ce8dd20d.jpg

As for the article posted above by the chap from ANU (which is a great university), sure, influenza doesn't typically wipe out generations or civilisations. However, 2-4% of the population is still tens of millions of people. When you have large scale death like that it also means you're going to have something like 2-300 million people infected/sick. Those kinds of numbers create serious trouble.

Nations close borders to protect populations, much farming and agriculture is shut down and certain elements of the global population are hit harder than others (countries, races, social classes). This kind of issue has serious effects on the global economy and basic functioning of life as it is today. Just because it doesn't wipe out whole civilisations doesn't mean there isn't a threat to our civilisation and security.

No need to panic or go to extremes, but complacency can exacerbate the problem.

Ok so I am interested to know what you see as being complacent in this situation?

What, if any, measures will you take to be prepared if this becomes very serious?

An elected official speaking out their opinion on a very serious matter, that also goes against the grain of what is being said by the main stream media world wide.

And this is irresponsible?

I don't get it. The fact that this could be man made shouldn't increase any "panic" that is already spreading due to the fact that this disease went from being local in Mexico to being global. Europe, NA, New Zealand etc and etc. Let's not forget how other elected officials are talking about how the jump to a full blown pandemic is "imminent". That to me, could insite riots.

its a conspiracy. the government is doing this, and they will not release the vaccine until they have killed off enough people. im really scared about this. i looked forward to starting a family with a beautiful wife. but idk. i really feel like the government is playing a part in this.

Ok so I am interested to know what you see as being complacent in this situation?

What, if any, measures will you take to be prepared if this becomes very serious?

The complacency I was referring to was the attitude in the article from the ANU professor. The idea that it won't wipe out civilisations is just saying "phew, well it's not the worst case possible". There still remains some pretty devastating outcomes possible without the end of the world coming about.

TBH, there is not a lot you can do. Unfortunately I live in part of the world that is high risk for this sort of outbreak. I have already conferred with my embassy for what plans they have (they have no plans...., awesome) and have sourced some anti-virals along with some face masks. Other than that, mate, there's not really a lot you can do. It's up to the governments and organisations like the CDC to control the situation. Other than staying at home, taking anti-virals and ceasing all sexual contacts with pigs and birds, what else can you do?

An elected official speaking out their opinion on a very serious matter, that also goes against the grain of what is being said by the main stream media world wide.

And this is irresponsible?

I don't get it. The fact that this could be man made shouldn't increase any "panic" that is already spreading due to the fact that this disease went from being local in Mexico to being global. Europe, NA, New Zealand etc and etc. Let's not forget how other elected officials are talking about how the jump to a full blown pandemic is "imminent". That to me, could insite riots.

Fairly wild and accusatory claims based on pure speculation is something that elected officials (and people on internet forums!) should steer clear of no matter what the issue, that's the basic premise.

Second, there is an election coming up in Indonesia where coalitions must be formed to take power. There are a number of small religious parties that are a little anti-US and this was a comment made to gain their support., nothing more.

So, what are the officials meant to do, talk the issue down and risk society being unprepared? They either get accused of risking riots or withholding crucial information....

several m,ore docs and scientists have come out saying this is man made.

these guys are not quacks by any means.

Now compare the number of docs and scientists that would laugh at that claim.

Add to that the fact that this is something that has been happening throughout existence since before we were around and has happened throughout human history before there were any drug companies or spy agencies to perpetrate such a deed.

Seriously man, not every big thing that happens in the world is a result of hidden players. Some things are really simple occurrences, illness is probably one of the most fundamental.

Now compare the number of docs and scientists that would laugh at that claim.

Add to that the fact that this is something that has been happening throughout existence since before we were around and has happened throughout human history before there were any drug companies or spy agencies to perpetrate such a deed.

Seriously man, not every big thing that happens in the world is a result of hidden players. Some things are really simple occurrences, illness is probably one of the most fundamental.

i'm always very suspicious when they jump to something like level 5 so quickly.

next level i believe is martial law level.

also, a-h1n1 contains some shit that doesn't exactly make a whole lot of sense.

bug genes, a strain of euro flu, human genes, pig genes....

btw: these docs, as i stated, saying that this probably came from a lab are very highly respected. only the foolish would laugh.

engineering bioweapons isn't new.

Whilst I'd love to watch youtube, my current hosts have deemed it a threat to security..., fucking fraidy cats.

And now for some good news....

Study shows new H5N1 strain may mutate in pigs

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/20090430TDY02302.htm

The Yomiuri Shimbun

A high proportion of pigs in Indonesia carry the highly infectious H5N1 avian influenza virus--something that could mutate into a new strain inside the pigs, according to research by the Kobe University Center for Infectious Diseases.

It is feared that if the virus mutates inside pigs and becomes transmittable between humans, it could pose a far greater threat to people than the current outbreak of swine flu.

The World Health Organization is taking precautions regarding a likely scenario of a new strain that is highly contagious between people being formed in this way.

The center detected the H5N1 virus in 52 pigs--more than one in ten of the 402 pigs it examined in four Indonesian provinces. Pigs are capable of transmitting the virus to birds and people.

On further analysis of the H5N1 virus detected in the 52 pigs, the center found a strain of a type of virus that could be transmitted to humans in some cases.

"It's a surprising result," said Yoshiyuki Nagai, director of the Center of Research Network for Infectious Diseases. "Perhaps we are looking at the process by which a new strain of influenza becomes infectious. We need to be vigilant."