COONSKIN aka STREET FIGHT aka BUSTIN OUT

absolute.despair

if you dont know, now you know....

StreetFightSMALLcomp.jpg

Coonskin_1975.jpg

read..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coonskin_(film)

watch..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrl4z9K6wio&feature=PlayList&p=F09652E073DCD7DA&index=5

download..

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1497063/14072454/

not sure how the download is i just started it.

this is a fucking score, seriously. we got it on vhs, the shit was banned and shit.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

There's a copy of it on Demonoid.

You should also check out these two movies by Ralph Bakshi (they're also on Demonoid-)

Heavy Traffic

American Pop

"Coonskin" is definitely an underrated/forgotten classic, along with the other two...they're definitely my favorites from Bakshi. He also did versions of "Fritz the Cat" and "Lord of the Rings" but I was never into them as much as the three I listed.

As far as a point of reference for anyone who hasn't heard of him, he sort of reminds me of Vaughn Bode.

im downloading the demonoid one and another from somewhere else, they both going slow though, hopefully i get a good copy from one of them.

my roommate just walked in the door with heavy traffic he bought it at big lots today for 3 bucks, im stoked ive been wantin to watch it, and we are going to here in a few minutes.

with my boys i called dibbs on the characters from coonskin that havent been painted yet, now you let the cat out the bag!

(imho) coonskin is easily bakshi's best film. heavy traffic has some great animation, but the story doesn't do it for me. i think those are the only two films bakshi's done where he doesn't blatantly rip someone off or animate someone else's style...and in one of those two, i believe there's a quick shot of something that resembles a bode lizard. wizards has some awesome animation (except for that fucking horrible, rotoscoping), but there's no denying how bad he robbed vaughn bode. as far as i know, dude has never fully admitted how blatantly he ripped him off. basically, ralph bakshi is a biter, but he's very good at it.

i watched wizards today.

part of me liked it and part of me didnt.

the scenes focusing on the "good" wizard didnt do it for me because the wizard sounded like a cab driver, not an almighty ruler of peace and happiness. and that girl was annonying as fuck.

the artwork in the "evil"scenes was fucking amazing. and considering when it was made the scenes witht he still background with super high contrast foreground wasnt too bad (i mean, its alot worse when its a classic rock music video)

what are his other movies about? can you give me a rough idea of what they are so i dont end up feeling like a nerd watching a PBS cartoon?

"Coonskin" pulls off the feat of being one of the most offensive movies ever made while being one of the best and honest movies ever made. So I recommend it highly.

And I do mean offensive. In fact, I would advise watching it alone for the first time to screen it before you share it with people you know....some folks just can't handle it, and will say things like "this is fucked up and racist." Well, they're right....but if they say "this movie isn't funny at all" then they're crazy.

Coonskin is a 1975 film written and directed by Ralph Bakshi, about an African American rabbit, fox, and bear who rise to the top of the organized crime racket in Harlem, encountering corrupt law enforcement, con artists and the Mafia. The film, which combines live-action with animation, stars Philip Michael Thomas, Charles Gordone, Barry White and Scatman Crothers, all of whom appear in both live-action and animated sequences. Coonskin utilizes a number of references to various elements from African American culture, ranging from African folk tales to the work of cartoonist George Herriman, and satirizes racist and other stereotypes, as well as the blaxploitation genre, Song of the South, and The Godfather.

Originally produced under the titles Harlem Nights and Coonskin No More..., Coonskin encountered extreme controversy before its original theatrical release when the Congress of Racial Equality strongly criticized the content as being racist, although none of the group's members had seen the film. When the film was finally released, Bryanston gave it limited distribution and initially received negative reviews. Later re-released under the titles Bustin' Out and Street Fight, Coonskin has since been reappraised, with many considering it to be one of Bakshi's finest works.