Who fucked up: the publisher, the distributor, or the book store?

Ski Mask

I was in the book store yesterday and picked up a copy of: "Understanding Power: The indespensable Chomsky" a book of discussions chomsky had (from various sources) covering a wide range of topics. Now heres the strange part:

Its not being released until February 2002

The copyright inside the book is 2002, the website with all the extensive footnotes (www.understandingpower.com) is simply a index page with "Comming 2002!" and amazon.com is taking pre-orders for its release in february. How the fuck did copies wind up on the shelf already? Its easy enough for somthing like this to happen a week or two early. All it takes is a clerk not reading the "Do not display until _____" note that the publisher included, but this is more than a month ahead of schedule. I didn't know they'd be recieving copies that early.

Any ex-bookstore employees (or current ones for that matter) want to shed some light on this?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i would figure your bookstore for some reason got some advance 'promo' copies or something, and put em up for sale. if there were just a couple, this would explain it... if they had a whole huge display with a life sized cardboard cutout of chompsky holding up a lobster in a party hat or something, i dont know, its prolly some other shit...

seeking/i got another natalie poster in the mail today

I don't know exactly, but I'd lean towards a conspiracy. That guy has alot to say on alot of things that the American government wants quiet right now. Just read a booklet of his about government propaganda, he definately knows some dangerous shit. Ese, you should send me that after you're done with it, i'll send you like your next twenty updates to your website.:eek:

Guest wakassOATH

thats weird that it was already out, maybe its like magazines you know they always come out a month and a bit before the accual time they are supposed to

They are called uncorrected proofs or advanced copies. Usually the publisher will release many of these to bookstores and critics to get some reviews going and to see if the bookstore will be interested in stocking the book. They are good finds and are usually worth a bit more than the original. Hold on to that one.

Archived