What's The Last Movie You Saw: The Sequel

shaolinmasta

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
9 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

I really liked this and I'm not sure why it got swept under the rug. Not enough of a like to make the movie recommendation though. 

image.thumb.png.6106ef71089089f773625b6656d86f8d.png

You did? I couldn't get passed the top hat and pissing on one of the greatest movies of all time's legacy.

Stephen King is still bitter 30 years after Kubrick steamrolled him

On 5/12/2020 at 11:05 AM, Kults said:

You did? I couldn't get passed the top hat and pissing on one of the greatest movies of all time's legacy.

Stephen King is still bitter 30 years after Kubrick steamrolled him

I gotta say, I am a tad surprised you did not dig. The Shining is incomparable to anything. Even this half breed sequel. That said, it still didn't suck. When I first started seeing trailers around I wanted absolutely nothing to do with it but years later I found myself watching the other day and I was into it. My taste in movies or television is pretty weird and vast. I binged and completely fell in love with true blood........This should say a lot. Most people I tell that to laugh but fuck yall.  Even though I watch and enjoy lame shit I still like to at least tell myself I have impeccable taste across the board. lol. 

• Like 1

Sometimes you just like stuff even if it doesn’t line up with your usual taste I can completely relate to that. 

It was the other way around for me. Saw the trailers and got hyped. Watched it and I didn’t get into it, didn’t feel that draw. I knew it wouldnt stack up to the OG but wanted to revisit those chrs and that world anyway. Cant say it was outright terrible, had it been it’s own thing and not a sequel I wouldn’t have been as turned off by it. I just didn’t get this weird uncomfortable feeling the original evokes so well.

Guess I expected too much. I’m torn on all these remakes/sequels/prequels. In theory I want more of what I liked but too often it doesn’t have the same atmosphere /feel of the older movies they’re following up. Maybe those classics are more than the sum of their parts. 

Next one that has me excited/ worried is the new Ghostbusters. Could be so good but it will likely suck. On paper it has all the ingredients to be a true successor but I’ve been burned too many times to feel confident  that it will deliver. 

11 hours ago, Kults said:

Sometimes you just like stuff even if it doesn’t line up with your usual taste I can completely relate to that. 

It was the other way around for me. Saw the trailers and got hyped. Watched it and I didn’t get into it, didn’t feel that draw. I knew it wouldnt stack up to the OG but wanted to revisit those chrs and that world anyway. Cant say it was outright terrible, had it been it’s own thing and not a sequel I wouldn’t have been as turned off by it. I just didn’t get this weird uncomfortable feeling the original evokes so well.

Guess I expected too much. I’m torn on all these remakes/sequels/prequels. In theory I want more of what I liked but too often it doesn’t have the same atmosphere /feel of the older movies they’re following up. Maybe those classics are more than the sum of their parts. 

Next one that has me excited/ worried is the new Ghostbusters. Could be so good but it will likely suck. On paper it has all the ingredients to be a true successor but I’ve been burned too many times to feel confident  that it will deliver. 

The shining was perfect, in my opinion. the one downside is that, if i did read the book, it would be obvious the glaring differences are.

Kubrick set out to make a movie....not an adaption. I believe that's what pissed off King, that Kubrick wouldn't follow the book. Kubrick made it less a movie about the "shining" and more a supernatural movie thriller that stood alone.

and the ghostbusters movie? I am actually pretty excited about it. But i believe the era of the "dude bro" comedy is dead. there are too many feminists today that would object to it.

• Truth 1

3 minutes ago, metronome said:

@Kultsyeah I liked it.  Watched this one because I liked his other sci fi movie Midnight Special.  I think he’s got neat original stories. 

Loved Midnight Special. Will check this one out then, Thanks for the rec

Doctor sleep had good parts but I felt like it was kinda trying to do too much.

Enjoyed it going in blind. Almost felt like they tried too hard to tie in the original references at the end.

Top hat was cheesy but I did think they were creepy once they drained that kid, he was screaming so bad it was gnarly