What's The Last Movie You Saw: The Sequel

shaolinmasta

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 10/29/2019 at 9:43 AM, STYLEISKING said:

low budget Netflix movie, one of Eddie/s better roles lately, but not really a good or funny film

I thought this was okay was an enjoyable way to fill an evening!

9 hours ago, Kults said:

^ It was written by Nic Pizzolato from True Detective. I agree, had some good moments but overall pretty average 

I thought the book was great - but I just think the movie had too much staring into the distance moodily that could have been dealt with.

• Truth 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, iloveboxcars said:

Definitely want to see this. I’ve heard mostly bad things though

Ya the SJW crowd hated it.

" nOt eNoUgH wOmAnS "

Cause women are just so integral to motorsports... lol Fuck em, it was great.

https://driving.ca/ford/auto-news/news/ford-v-ferrari-depicts-a-generation-of-car-guys-best-left-behind

No fraction of the storyline is devoted to parsing the thoughts and feelings of any female who appears, even peripherally, on screen. Instead, Caitriona Balfe, who plays Miles’s wife, Mollie, is presented as the doting mother: She smiles mildly and nods her head indulgently as her husband struggles to gain traction in the race world. She clucks and scolds like a schoolmarm when Miles and Shelby come to blows on her front lawn — then brings them each a soda pop.

10 minutes ago, iloveboxcars said:

I didn't see those reviews at all, the reviews I read were based off of altering the timeline and making certain things more dramatic than they were in service of the formulaic "sports movie" arc.

I'll be seeing it soon. I love Matt Damon and Christian Bale so I'm sure I'll like it for them at least.

That much is true. They shortened it to the winning year. It would have dragged on way too long to do the full 4 years or whatever it was. They swapped out a few key players too but overall pretty faithful to what really happened. 

^ I didn’t care for it. Bloated (3:30 mins.. really?) over indulgent, production value felt cheap and it basically went nowhere.

A few amazing scenes, the kind only Scorsese can do. Overall very underwhelming though. Great actors just shit material. Also, I don’t buy Deniro as a tough guy anymore.. some 80 yr old beating ppl up half his age... lol sure.

1 hour ago, iloveboxcars said:

When 80 year old digitally aged down to 40 Deniro kicked the shop owner on the curb I burst out laughing in the theater. 

That’s exactly the scene that was the most jarring for me lol like no sorry the guy barely looks like he can hold himself up much less curb stomp a dude 

Had a good editor taken a hacksaw to it and cut it down to 1:30 with just the better parts it would could have been a decent movie. It’s pretty obvious Scorsese, DeNiro and Pecci’s best days are behind them though.

6 minutes ago, iloveboxcars said:

Watched Mean Streets earlier today and just got back home from Knives Out. Deffo go see knives out if you like mysteries and Clue-ish stories. 

I make it a point to watch Mean Streets at least every other year. Just love the feel. Goes to show how how far sheer brilliance and vision can take you despite a non existent budget

Knives Out: 4/5

I typically love who-done-its, but this one was particularly well done.

The cast did a superb job, Craig is awesome, and the main actress is as talented as she is beautiful.

Halfway through I was prematurely bothered by what I though they were doing with it, only to be pleasantly

surprised  when it came full circle. I'm usually pretty good at sniffing out endings, but I was confused

until the big reveal. Beautifully shot on top of it all. Presentation was also superlative.

Plenty of humor but it never felt goofy. Michael Shannon is as underrated as any actor ever.

Would definitely suggest.

=====================================================================================

The Irishman: 4/5

Long...I know, but other than a drag here or there, it never gets boring. Although the last 15 could have been trimmed

down to 5 mins or so, I get what MS was trying to say. De Niro is definitely the weak spot, he looked every bit his 

age and the aforementioned stomp scene literally made me laugh out loud. Pesci plays his role perfectly and it was

cool to see him as a more subdued, calculated gangster than a gun-slinging maniac.

Pacino fucking stole the movie, honestly I would have preferred him as the main character. Best Hoffa performance

I have ever seen. ''This, is, my, union'' almost brought me to tears. It could have been done as masterfully in 3 or less,

but let's be real, MS only has a film or two left in him. Go see this in theaters or you'll regret it if you're a cinephile. 

• Like 1