What's The Last Movie You Saw: The Sequel

shaolinmasta

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

Just popping in to say how FIRE I thought the joker was.....Impressed. I got exactly what I expected out of it without listening to spoilers and other peoples opinions like I always do. I’m also not a comic book movie kind of guy aside from your obvious ones from the old school and from what I remember this joker shit did what it was supposed to in a very elevated way. Method acting.....whatever. But god damn that boy went in. Nice and brutal. Coulda used more death but I was satisfied. Only thing I really wanted to see was some cop killing and it was close....

• Like 1

i kept an open mind and didn't listen to spoilers.

not usually a super hero fan but was looking forward to this

I probably misinterpreted the trailer but I was of opinion the movie was going to show more of  his rise to power as a villain. Like you said more killing wouldn't have hurt

Jocquain Phoenix was great but the story plodded along waaay too slowly.

• Truth 1

I saw it twice (cheaply) in theaters and still unsure if I liked or not.  I want to say I did as I would watch again.   I think I liked it as a comic villain movie perhaps, but not so much as a deranged killer movie?  Like he did a good enough acting job I suppose, enough to make people believe here's a guy on a downward spiral into mental illness.  At the same time though, not enough to be believable to people who know and understand mental illness.  Also thought De Niro was more of a distraction than anything, like show me an end of life Travis Bickle who's not giving a fuck anymore because he's old and dying and is ready for a final act of chaos to clean up the city.

21 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

i kept an open mind and didn't listen to spoilers.

not usually a super hero fan but was looking forward to this

I probably misinterpreted the trailer but I was of opinion the movie was going to show more of  his rise to power as a villain. Like you said more killing wouldn't have hurt

Jocquain Phoenix was great but the story plodded along waaay too slowly.

100 % agree about the lack of rise to power. But i truly feel like the ending was more than enough. Contradicted myself completely there but fuck it. You know what I mean lol. Villainous super hero thing was just shy of lame enough for me to love it. That ending was over the top but it crushed when the ambulance took out the pig ride and they dramatically pulled dude out but left him on the hood of the car. That shit was fuckin rad lol. 

15 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

I saw it twice (cheaply) in theaters and still unsure if I liked or not.  I want to say I did as I would watch again.   I think I liked it as a comic villain movie perhaps, but not so much as a deranged killer movie?  Like he did a good enough acting job I suppose, enough to make people believe here's a guy on a downward spiral into mental illness.  At the same time though, not enough to be believable to people who know and understand mental illness.  Also thought De Niro was more of a distraction than anything, like show me an end of life Travis Bickle who's not giving a fuck anymore because he's old and dying and is ready for a final act of chaos to clean up the city.

I think the fact that they wrote in his “condition card” was very today as far as understanding the many different forms of mental illness. He was clearly suffering from seriously extreme depression and schizophrenia related  personality disorders from what i could see as a dude with most of those issues. Ive also never dug in too deep on the subject outside of the surface stuff but i have been reading a bit more so I’m probably not in tune with the heaviest of understanding. 

8 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

I think the fact that they wrote in his “condition card” was very today as far as understanding the many different forms of mental illness. He was clearly suffering from seriously extreme depression and schizophrenia related  personality disorders from what i could see as a dude with most of those issues. Ive also never dug in too deep on the subject outside of the surface stuff but i have been reading a bit more so I’m probably not in tune with the heaviest of understanding. 

Those mental health terms aren't exactly accurate or necessarily related, but I think that speaks to the point.  An actor need only portray what people believe something to be in order for people to think the actor is good- they got about what they expected.  IMO a better actor can be what the role actually is and also sell that realness to the viewer.  No doubt in my mind that Ledger would not have been as good in his own role had he not embraced the crazy.  Taxi Driver was a (somewhat) more accurate portrayal of blooming mental illness.  I was out of the comic scene before this origin story came about so not sure how closely the comic was followed but in terms of movie making I assume that today's sensitive climate as well as the continuing shadow of the movie theater shooting might have influenced the film makers to develop a more mental health sensitive script.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched outbreak a few times when it came out...when i was in high school.. senior year i wrote a paper about it and Ebola.. this was back in 97.

But a couple of nights ago i rewatched office space for the millionth time and just now watched full metal jacket for the 4th time

• Like 1