A Torrent Thread, Fuck Yeah!

absolute.despair

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i have a question.

when setting the download and upload speed what ratio do you do?

i usually set it to 500 dl and 100 ul.

it gets up to 175kbs if there are some seeders.

and whats the difference between all these clients? uTorrent and Bittorrent look identical...(I use uTorrent)

You might as well take the cap off if you're getting those kinds of speeds reliably. I've set uTorrent to run slower during the day (100 kb/s down, 25 kb/s up) because I'm sharing DSL with someone who works from home during the day. I turn it up to 200/50 at night, but I seldom hit the cap (thanks, AT&T).

I think uTorrent is coded better than anything else out there. It's small, runs light, and has plenty of features but works fine with the default configuration (no tweaking required).

Pretty good mang - it's ONLY movies so of course they have a lot of variety and there's better download speeds usually. I haven't had it for very long so I can't give a solid opinion but so far it seems superior to Demonoid.

Word?

Hoook it up with a invite if ya can!

How do you back up a torrent file to disk, for example, a downloaded program before installing it?

an .iso file? right click, open with nero burning or whatever cd burning proggy you us...

WAR 4: A Review

By: LC

I finally sat down late last night to watch the rest of this flick. Thank god I didn't pay for it.

Between the lame fights, Tribes manvestite self, and kids running around with markers

in Las Vegas, there's little action in this flick.

I could have done without seeing "Cake" being a tight pants wearing faggot, TLOK trying to walk up a hill, and TKO showing off that they hang out in the hills and buddy buddy with celebrities/rappers.

All in all, this video was a huge disappointment.

Why didn't TKO just pay for a late night infomercial?

-FIN-

It's only been said a million times before, so I'll say it again-

Don't post links to torrents of copyrighted works on 12 oz. The people that know how to use torrents also know where to find what they want, but linking to anything covered by the DMCA from here brings heat on 12 oz (and there's a LOT of heat to be brought right now).

For example, the Madlib link up there contains 452 files. I'll take a guess and say that one of those is the torrent file, plus a NFO or textfile or two, and some photos of the various covers. The rest of it is music, and if you pay attention to the news like I do you'll know that RIAA-affiliated record companies- I'm not sure if Stone's Throw is a member- think nothing of suing people (AKA you) for up to $150,000 PER TRACK for copyright infringement. That's a lot of money, and when they really want to be dicks (in other words, most of the time) they'll fuck with sites that just link to the the link that links the to the torrent. Seeing as how Raven has made no secret of the recently mounting costs of running the dog and pony show known as 12 oz, I'm pretty sure that the last thing he wants or needs would be a whopping lawsuit for something that he didn't even do.

(As an aside, I like Stone's Throw a lot. Over the years I've met a couple people that worked with them, and even though ST is successful they're still an independent label that actually takes care of their artists...I'm also a big fan of all of the awesome soul and funk reissues that PBW has compiled over the years. Usually I have no objections to people downloading whatever they want because a) it's going to happen anyway and b) I hate the idea of supporting major record labels, but ST is one of the ten or so exceptions where I'd pay for the product without hesitation based on their track record.)

To sum it up, the fact that you know where to get a copy of _______________ and make no secret of it does not impress the people that you are probably trying to impress. The folks that are good at this sort of thing don't talk about what they do especially since it's not that hard to find 99% of the stuff people want to download.

i hear what your saying shai.

if i ever have the money one day i would pay back people like StonesThrow for stealing large amounts of music from them. its not that im lazy and get it for free. its that i love their music, but i cant afford to buy music at this time.

but for safety it would probaly be best choice to close this thread so avoid any said lawsuits.

*when I go down to Ameba i plan on stocking up on some ST vinyls so i guess that should even out the debts.

My intention was not to come down on you specifically (after all, you didn't put up the torrent) but they're one of the few record labels that are trying to do good things and mostly succeeding so I feel like they should be supported. That's my way of being supportive, I guess.

I haven't bought music from a store in years. I'll buy CDs from bands at shows, that's about it. Most of the music I download would be damn near impossible for me to find for sale, if it's available at all. Also, a lot of the sites I get my music from have notices on their homepage stating that if any band wants links to their stuff taken down that they'll gladly comply...but on the flip side of that, I've seen a lot of bands post comments to the effect of "I can't believe that people are still interested in this after all these years!" and/or "Thanks for uploading this, I thought it was gone forever." Very rarely- if ever- do I see a post saying "Please take this down" but I have gotten broken links, so maybe those responses are handled more quietly.

I think what I'm trying to say is that in the vast majority of cases I have no problem with people sharing whatever they have but it's a fine line. If I hadn't bought so many good CDs from Stone's Throw or never met anyone that worked there, I probably wouldn't have said anything.

Also, I've been reading a lot of articles about people who make independent documentaries (I'm talking 100% self-funded and distributed) having advance copies/screeners uploaded BEFORE they release their work...and something about that bothers me. I realize it's inevitable to some degree, but it seems like there's no sense of propriety now that digital media is so easy for anyone to copy and distribute. In the case of major studios or labels, I don't really think it's a huge setback for them in spite of all the claims and noise to the contrary...but if it's someone who spends two years of their life making a really good documentary and they find out that it's been leaked three days before the premiere...there's a good chance that they'll get discouraged and stop making movies, which isn't something that I want. People should be supporting independent media...in fact, a lot of pirates claim to be big supporters of indie material, but when I hear about the little guy getting screwed for selfish reasons any noble Robin Hood ideal pirates might try to sell me suddenly sounds a hell of a lot more defensive and fake.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey i understand the theory of "seeding" but im kind of new to this stuff.. Im using azureus/vuze to dl this torrent and its status is stuck on "seeding" and has been for a 4 or 5 days.. Is there anyway i can refresh this or someway to force it through or do i just wait?

that port forwarding shit looks lie too much effort...

for real they is tutorials out there to guide you through it

well im pretty sure.. it status just says "seeding".. I came home after work the day i started dl'ing it and it was like that..

I use utorrent so im not familiar how azerus looks. try to right click it and open the folder