Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
H. Lecter

The Beer Thread

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Thinking of doing a chocolate/walnut double for Christmas. Not sure about yeast though. Any ideas?

Was thinking even going English, but I should probably play it safe and go Belgian.

A guy I work with loves this.

I find it only ok.

I am not a big fan of New Belgium I find most of their beers to be blah.

As far as imperial IPAs go Pliney the elder is my shit, although this shit doesnt come close. However, not only is it available year round but it comes in a 6 pac

Thread was on the middle of the second page...

So I'm in San Rafael for a week, no car, probably can't get into the city too much.

What CA beers should I be hunting down?

had some hard cider left in my fridge after new years party

i drank it the next day and kinda liked it, pretty refreshing and something new for me

mind suggesting some stuff for me that should be easy to find?

had Angry Orchard, i imagine its like the shocktop of cider?

had some hard cider left in my fridge after new years party

i drank it the next day and kinda liked it, pretty refreshing and something new for me

mind suggesting some stuff for me that should be easy to find?

had Angry Orchard, i imagine its like the shocktop of cider?

Crispin should be easy to find, and it's a step up from Angry Orchard, for sure.

I do not have a very good palette for ciders -- they taste kinda similar to me. I prefer dry ones to sweet ones, though.

Crispin should be easy to find, and it's a step up from Angry Orchard, for sure.

I do not have a very good palette for ciders -- they taste kinda similar to me. I prefer dry ones to sweet ones, though.

Big fan of ciders. I'm not so sure I'd consider Crispin a step up from Angry Orchard though. Crispin has the various specialty bottles, most of which suck, and limited releases but their standard offerings aren't as good as Angry Orchard or Woodchuck's imo. Plus, Angry Orchard does two specialty bottles, Strawman and Iceman, that are both better than most of the specialty bottles Crispin has to offer. I really only like Woodchuck for their pumpkin seasonal these days.

Now in reference to the shocktop of ciders comment, I have yet to find a commercial cider that rivals any of the locally produced ciders I've had. Seems to me unlike craft beer, the craft cider market hasn't really come into its own yet and you still have to go to the source pretty much to see the cool things cider makers are doing. Around here, Millstone is getting pretty big and will hopefully receive wider distribution this coming year. They produce all kinds of ciders + meads ranging from ordinary to extremely experimental (i.e. fish pepper + smoked apples aged in oak). That said, if you want something that tastes like high quality apple cider that happens to be alcoholic, I'd recommend trying to find some Downeast Cider. They're brewed in MA but I think they get decent distribution.