The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

Last night I had Left Hand Sawtooth ESB on nitro.

never had an esb as such, it was awesome, the beer profile was so different, the head had a very creamy boddingtons thing going on, while the body ended up sweeter, and not in a gross way.

would highly recommend.

also odell cutthroat porter on nitro was great.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna go ahead and show you all why the bay area is the single best place for beer in the country:

http://www.diablomag.com/D-blog/Diablo-Dish/December-2012/Weekly-Dish-East-Bay-Rising/

"First up is Chuck Stilphen, owner of the popular beer-centric bars The Trappist in Old Oakland, OL in Walnut Creek, and upcoming Trappist Provisions in Rockridge. Stilphen is taking on the big city, with plans to open "the finest world class beer cafe San Francisco has ever seen (in my opinion anyway)." What's in the works? Well, Stilphen has secured a 3,000 square foot space at Market and Mason streets (34 Mason Street) near the Nordstrom shopping center. Beer geeks take note: Stilphen plans to carry 40 drafts from the finest European and American (and other countries) small batch independent brewers, as well as two to three casks handles, hundreds of bottles, plus wine on tap. Ho hum? Well here's a couple cool details: there will also be a special private lambic/sour beer tasting room in the cellar (only sour beer lovers allowed); and the bar will be the first of its kind (according to Stilphen) to pour draft beers at different temperatures (i.e. lager and pilsners at cooler temperatures, stouts and heavier beers closer to room temperature)."

Long story short:

40 taps all separately temp controlled

Private Lambic/Sour tasting room

3 Casks

100+ bottles

Smoked Meats, Charcuterie, Pickled Foods

Monthly Dinners with Guest Chefs and Pairings

aka I"M GOING TO LOSE ALL MY MONEY AND GET FAT HERE!

Starting with a kit is the best way to go. I know a couple of people that leapt straight into full grain mash due to self confidence, and I know at least one them only ever laid down two disappointing brews then gave up. The kits are a great stepping stone, and the fermentation side is really where a lot of your flavour qualities are going to be earned.

If you have any questions there's a few crew in here happy to help. I'm always happy to, as long as you can convert metric!

I can't get 'imgur' to work. But the natural colouring agent that we've distilled out to make the new Absinthe is ready. Pretty stoked. Not many people would believe some weirdo in the middle of nowhere is making traditional style Absinthe.

Ahh. Worked. I think.

I'll get some better photos and information up. This is a pretty exciting project. Waiting on the university in the city to determine the amount of Thujone (hallucinogenic chem from Wormwood) then I can release more details!

yup. everything protester does goes in this thread.

fairweather thread posters need not critique.

narwhal isn't everywhere. it took me quite a bit of work to find it, and i'm sure folks further east than CO are dealing with the same.

had o'dell mountain standard double black ipa, o'dell wooden elephant (oaked ipa), and apex ipa. none were spectacular, wooden elephant was interesting, but i wouldn't go out of my way to have it.

I had a Narwhal on draft yesterday. Still seeing it everywhere, and I'm in Ohio. We may be a state that is high on their distribution list, who knows. Sierra Nevada products are like budweiser around here as far as availability. Sorry Protester, didn't know aussies were so easily butthurt. thanks for the negs :D

Considering SN is from here in Cali, its very very widely available, narwhal is old news here because we get it first every season. You get it way after us so thats why you still have it. I still can find some of it myself. I dont know where he is in cali though.

I found some out here man, I'll take more, but i'm a-okay with you sending it to those that haven't gotten to try it yet.

i've got your trade ready, just gotta send it out.

i broke my muffer off today (a week after passing emissions! woo) so thats my to-do tomorrow, but i'll try to get it out tomorrow or tuesday at the latest.

(avery hog heaven, odell cutthroat porter, odell myrcenary, odell 5 barrel, odell ipa, fort collins brewery ipa, deviant dale's tall boy, ska brewing modus hoperandi, wynkoop railyard)

i've never had the railyard, but i figured anyone on a graff site anyone is gonna like a can with a train on the front...

@lurker get that velvet merlin! ^^

finally had sleighr. came home from work the other day and my lady had it waiting for me :love2: it was good

also had kona pipeline porter. better than i expected, i liked it and will try again

yulesmith was what i took to a gift exchange the other night. wasnt as appreciated as i had expected :(

I got a growler of manzanita pale in exchange though. already gone

Well im only an hour north of Firestone so its flooded my market here lol, the velvet is good. i actually just bought the Firestone 16th anniversary ale. 30$ but will be a good conversation piece at my work x-mas party.

@fist666 wow thats a big shipment! i havent had any of those, thats awesome. i have collected Hop 15 from Port, Hightide fresh hop seasonal from Port, Moylans moylander DIPA, Atlas DIPA, Lucky hand Cali Common. All 22oz bombers, going to throw somew extra ones in too. if youve had any of those let me know and i can switch it out for you