The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn straight. You can rub me up the right way though, if you're offering, Fusey?

@Tango: Not a bad go to beer, not a huge amount going on but at least it has true WA roots.

what's going on with WA beer these days? any new breweries popping up?

i remember in the months leading up to my trip last year there were a shitload of micros's popping up in the eastern states.

Give me a day or two guys, have pictures from the Sierra Nevada world record night. Including Narwhal on tap, Big foot 2010-2011 and 2012 on tap. Hoptimum on tap. 3 year old barleywine aged in a brandy barrel, one in a bourbon barrel, and one in a regular oak barrel.

Also included are some other bombers ive found.

Edit: im going to start uploading now.

EditEdit: that butchertown is nice, i love being only an hour from Speakeasy. and only 45 mins from firestone.

My tumblr. Not very good at it, but i just started posting pictures.

http://craftbeeronly.tumblr.com/

tumblr_mdwmyjnoDZ1rh2kd6o1_1280.jpg

aged from 2010, BigFoot. Sierra Nevada.

tumblr_mdwmxgb3PO1rh2kd6o1_r1_500.jpg

Narwhal on tap.

tumblr_mdwmwzQd7u1rh2kd6o1_r1_500.jpg

Life and Limb. Sierra Nevada

tumblr_mdwmwnKFO61rh2kd6o1_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_mdwmzdhpbj1rh2kd6o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mdwmz12SMR1rh2kd6o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mdwmy7KPue1rh2kd6o1_500.jpg

Sierr Nevada, Hoptimum.

tumblr_mdwmxvGJOz1rh2kd6o1_500.jpg

I forget what this was... Shit.

tumblr_mdwmw2SP3C1rh2kd6o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mdwmvd7c3o1rh2kd6o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mdwmv17DbE1rh2kd6o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mdwmuh9JfF1rh2kd6o1_500.jpg

Port Brewing's seasonal, fresh hop, High Tide IPA

tumblr_md1bxi9jUX1rh2kd6o1_500.jpg

tumblr_md1bw9Hrua1rh2kd6o1_500.jpg

tumblr_md1bvv5guz1rh2kd6o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mcva4jiGGe1rh2kd6o1_500.jpg

This is all for now, wish i have been taking more pictures of other good finds. but i have been slacking.

what's going on with WA beer these days? any new breweries popping up?

i remember in the months leading up to my trip last year there were a shitload of micros's popping up in the eastern states.

There's a few popping up regionally, Denmark Ales, some joint out in Boulder even... Great Southern has Boston Brewery. Nothing really new in Perth, Blacksalt in North Freo, at the old surf club.

It's just that nobody bottles. Too bloody expensive/hard.

There's a few popping up regionally, Denmark Ales, some joint out in Boulder even... Great Southern has Boston Brewery. Nothing really new in Perth, Blacksalt in North Freo, at the old surf club.

It's just that nobody bottles. Too bloody expensive/hard.

i was always told that the costs of setting up a brewery in perth or even aus is a ridiculously expensive and hard process. as you're on the production side of things, why is that?

i'd guess importing most equiptment, liquour laws and general prices would be the main ones?

Tax and an amazing amount of red tape to get a licence is what turns most people off, even if they have the money. Liquor Licencing, Racing Gaming & Liquor, Health Dept, Police, ATO excise dept, local shire approvals - that's what makes it hard, I'm looking at about four full lever arch files of paperwork that took me well over a year and a half to complete and have full approval.

It is MUCH MUCH easier to get a licence over east. I mean hell, you can buy booze 24 hours a day at the 7eleven's in Melbourne!

Then you have to get the building approved for use, by pretty much all those same people, audits, weekly tax returns, it's actually a bit of a fucking nightmare.

Even more fun when you've got a record! Awesome!

Equipment/premises is definitely the most expensive aspect.

that's almost precisely what i expected. i've always wondered which city would be the easiest and most rewarding to set up shop in and i always thought perth would be alluring because of the lack of local competition, but recently i've come to realise some of the hoops you have to jump through (as you clarified) are a bit too ridiculous.

in germany, belgium and poland (from what i've experienced), it is too easy to set up a new micro but the competition kills the chances of succeeding. australia really does seem like a great place to set up but it is pretty unlikely perth would hold much of a prospect in the future.

although having said that, i've surprisingly found LC brews in a bunch of western European countries, they seem to be doing it very right.

They are owned by the Japanese mate, Lion bought them out for over $300mm... they also just shut down Swan Brewery out at Canning Vale. Every cunt said I was paranoid about the Lion take over and how it would effect us, now look what's happened. They are building a new massive brew plant.... IN GEELONG. So, we're pretty much fucked out of it, once more. The now largest brewery in the state is Gage Roads, which is now pretty much completely owned by Woolworths, who own around 30% of the nations bottle shops. Their approval to add a $12.4MM expansion to the joint so that Woolworths can make their own CRAFT BEER, was finalised within a few weeks.

Sorry. Gets me a bit riled up. The massive places like Woolworths can get just about anything done, the have 42 QC's on their books. 42! The government is fuckin' scared to say no to them. Ugh. We just do not have the population for a 'grey area' market like other countries do, you're either TINY (like me) and scraping by, or fuckin' huge and dominating - there's no in betweens here, not if you want to eat something other than dog food for the rest of your life.

The most positive thing at the moment is the American market really pushing the canned craft beer, nobody in Australia has the money to market it enough to convince people that beer from a can, poured into a glass, is better than beer from a glass bottle. It will take time, but it will filter out to here.

I would think for starters light cant penetrate the can, cans cool quicker, and probably once set up its cheaper and less taxing on the environment. I know that is the one of the main pushes to have Stelvin Enclosures (twist caps) used on wine bottles is because of the overall abundance of aluminum and the less cost.

Pretty much what Fuse said. Light strike/taint is non existent in cans. They're cleaner, better sealed, far more easily recycled. They just... make sense?

Stelvins were catapulted to market when the global cork shortage become a big deal, they still have their issues. I don't know of any bottling lines laying their bottles down with a stelvin seal around here. Leakage issues.

a couple weeks back i was drinking with a friend and some of her friends.

the boyfriend orders 4 beers and brings them back to us. 1 in the mix was a dales, the other 3 were some belgian.

the friend's friend tastes mine (the dales) with strawberry gum in her mouth and half the pint of belgian gone and tells me that mine isn't a dales, its something else, dales is brighter than this, yada yada. i didn't bother to argue, i just told her she was wrong and didn't know beer.

she works for a very significant fort collins brewery.

edit. upon typing this story out i'm not sure the point other than i hate beer douches that don't know what they're talking about. beer snobs that know i like talking to.

"This is the best beer in region" - no sale

"I love this lager, so nice and hoppy" - it's ale, and it's barely got a sniff of hops, which is the actual reason you like it you limp wristed chequered wearing motherfucker.

"I don't drink dark beer" - That's fine, you don't like beer. Fuck off, and for future reference, when you order a glass of Stout, it's going to be dark.

"I've been drinking beer my whole life, I think I know what I'm talking about" - No, cocksnap, drinking XXXX Gold for thirty years doesn't mean you know anything about beer, it means you're a cheap fuck that bashes his missus.

"Just let me take this chewy out of my mouth" - Just let me take those teeth out of your mouth.

You remember the bad, more than the good. The good memories in your life don't haunt you, do they? I get mainly positive people, and people that are 'in tune' with how they taste my beers - if you don't like it, that's fine, I am absolutely cool with that, I have no idea how many beers I've tried and not liked. But to assume that because you don't like it makes it bad is one of the dumbest things humans do, across the board.

• Like 1

Back to saving bottles for a minute, I can see it being tacky if it's crap beers. But, I've been to some brewpubs that have a whole history of old bottles/cans behind glass all around their place and I have to admit that was pretty cool, especially in an area that was rich in the brewing tradition.