Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
H. Lecter

The Beer Thread

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
totally agreed, i still tend to get pretty out of hand from time 2 time though....

agreed. i've slowed down considerably, especially during the week.

but, my oh my, sometimes dez the lez has to make an appearance and shit on everyone's parade.

did you find 'brutal ipa' to be a disappointing misnomer?

i hoped for so much more than i got...

i was expecting more hops and bitterness, but it was kind of light and fruity.

it wasn't bad. i still enjoyed it. just lighter than i thought it would be.

Ninkasi is the shit, the Tricerahops is a personal fave, and the Sleigher is everything that is good about winter ales. My brother-in-law lives in Eugene and he would bring down coolers full of them fuckers about twice a year. Now Bev-Mo carries them...

hipstercat.jpeg

IMG_3497.jpg

since Ninkasi is the subject. scored this shit at the s.f. tattbro conv last week, they sponsored the event. drank massive quantities of Total Domination IPA's & the chick that was in charge hooked up the goods. Radical fucking beer & good peoples.

nice score.

about 3 months ago total domination started coming out in 6packs and safeway carries it. so my consumption of that has gone way up.

I'm about hopped out but have been eyeing that Tricerahops for a minute now. The school I teach at is literally surrounded by hop fields and it got to the point during the harvest where I wanted nothing to do with anything remotely hoppy. And now that it's cold I'm back on the dark stuff. Photos forthcoming.

Fist: seen a little of Walking Man here and there. Just checked them out on Beer Advocate and it looks like everything is as good as you say. Goodbye paycheck.

Also, in honor of the day, Misfits and Pumking. Go.

awesome that you snagged some king for the holiday. I grabbed some of the DFH and some pumkings as well... was nearly impossible to snag any fall seasonals this late in the year, all the christmas shit is out already.

last friday was a one day sell at whole foods, apparently all beer was like 20 some odd percent off, and then my girlfriend used her employee discount as well.

Her house in the bay is fucking stacked right now. I cannot wait for thanksgiving.

Bring the hate but....

Pumking is not going on my "drink this again" list. I literally had to dump half a bottle (which hasn't happened since I tried Ommegang's Three Philosophers a couple years back) and, honestly, I was happy to see it go. That shit was like eating a super fragrant, super savory pumpkin cakey pile. Like a "pumpkin pie" scented candle.

Really thin on spices as far as my tongue could tell and zero ale flavor (don't be telling me about your kettle and aroma hops if there's NO HOPS ANYWHERE in the profile). Also: instant headache I'm now trying to beat into submission with scotch.

I heard it was a love-it-or-hate it kind of beer but goddamn. Going back to Dogfish Head Punk for the duration.

• Like 1

The fall season has really been one that I dont favor in the beer world. I actually dont follow the seasons when it comes to beers. I buy what I buy when I come across it. Not really a big fan of the pumpkin brews....and yes dogfish does the better job. BUT Dogfish doesnt always do the best of jobs. I feel people jock dogfish because its popular. There brews are hit or miss.

I think if Bells made a Pumpkin brew it would be DELICIOUS! do they?

The fall season has really been one that I dont favor in the beer world. I actually dont follow the seasons when it comes to beers. I buy what I buy when I come across it. Not really a big fan of the pumpkin brews....and yes dogfish does the better job. BUT Dogfish doesnt always do the best of jobs. I feel people jock dogfish because its popular. There brews are hit or miss.

I think if Bells made a Pumpkin brew it would be DELICIOUS! do they?

I'm with you on the Dogfish tip. I don't care for their 60 Minute IPA. The 90 Minute is a tad better. People talk that shit up to death.

Also, living in Pennsylvania, we don't sell beer in most supermarkets, so the area I live in is super-saturated with bars that carry regional/east coast micro brews. When I do go to a supermarket that supposedly has a "nice" selection I see tons of Rogue bombers, none of which are appealing to me. I'm talking at least 6-10 varieties. What gives? Is Rogue just a novelty brewery now? It's funny/kind of sucks that I can recommend breweries for days that most of you guys being on the left coast will never get, a lot of the shit I'm drinking has like a 90 mile distribution radius. Anyone down for a trade?

Bring the hate but....

Pumking is not going on my "drink this again" list. I literally had to dump half a bottle (which hasn't happened since I tried Ommegang's Three Philosophers a couple years back) and, honestly, I was happy to see it go. That shit was like eating a super fragrant, super savory pumpkin cakey pile. Like a "pumpkin pie" scented candle.

Really thin on spices as far as my tongue could tell and zero ale flavor (don't be telling me about your kettle and aroma hops if there's NO HOPS ANYWHERE in the profile). Also: instant headache I'm now trying to beat into submission with scotch.

I heard it was a love-it-or-hate it kind of beer but goddamn. Going back to Dogfish Head Punk for the duration.

I can see where you're coming from if you prefer the Dogfish Head. I on the other hand cannot finish a bottle of the Dogfish Pumpkin. Pumpkin beers come down to preference a lot, some people like the pumpkin pie flavor and some like it to still maintain a hoppy goodness. Rarely do you come across a brew that does both effectively. I'd recommend Smashed Pumpkin from Shipyard, it has a decent balance between the two. Also try out the Flying Dog Fear imperial pumpkin, not quite my speed but a lot of my friends love it.

I just picked up St. Bernardus Christmas Ale and a 6pack of Mad Elf this weekend. Pleasantly surprised to see them out this early, definitely saving the Bernardus for awhile.

Also, living in Pennsylvania, we don't sell beer in most supermarkets, so the area I live in is super-saturated with bars that carry regional/east coast micro brews. When I do go to a supermarket that supposedly has a "nice" selection I see tons of Rogue bombers, none of which are appealing to me. I'm talking at least 6-10 varieties. What gives? Is Rogue just a novelty brewery now? It's funny/kind of sucks that I can recommend breweries for days that most of you guys being on the left coast will never get, a lot of the shit I'm drinking has like a 90 mile distribution radius. Anyone down for a trade?

Rogue is another company that is hit or miss but rides the wave of popularity. Good beers when theyre good dont get me wrong.

so, i've been a regular hater of pumpkin beers in here, but i will say this.

I tried a pumpkin porter tonight that was good. I liked it because it tasted more like roasted pumpkin seeds cus of a very strong malt profile, and barely on the backen was there the characteristic spices of fall pumpkin ales. I liked it, a lot. THAT is how a fucking fall beer should be made.