The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?

OK. I'll bite in the hope that you're not joking with me.

Chuck Hahn will forever be a great name in the brewing history of Australia. They make beer that 97.5% of Australians want to drink. FourEx is very similar, and I admire the fact that they are technically perfect beers. To be able to recreate the exact same beer, to the exact same specifications, over a decade or more, is an exercise in precision that I find difficult to even fathom.

Still on Chuck Hahn though, the man brought REAL beer back to the masses in the form of James Squire (Name of the first documented brewer in Australian colonial history). Their range would seem fairly tame to an avid craft beer hunter, but it is REAL beer, no matter how mass produced. Actual ale instead of lager. For that, he has to be a little bit of a hero I'd reckon.

As aforementioned, what really amazes me is their production scale - the product itself I wouldn't be caught dead knocking one back.

For example, XXXX has around a 200hec system, so they are making 200,000 litres of beer every time they turn the bastard on. The process is amazing, they are actually at the point over there that the water they are treating as affluent is coming back CLEANER than the scheme water people are drinking - it's only public perception that stops them from using this water in the brew process.

In short - amazing on a technical production level - tastes like shit.