The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sign of quality is definitely using a cask/barrel. Chips need to be soaked to get even close to the same effect, but you can never really recreate the aged wood - for example, the barrel I used had a gold medal Whisky matured in it, and the barrel itself is nearly 12 years old, used for sherry in it's initial fill.

You just can't get that from chips, unless they are break down chips from a barrel, in which case you may as well use the bloody barrel.

My favourite smoked/oaked (smOaked?) is Paradox Smokhead by BrewDog.

• Like 1

how is the oaked arrogant bastard? only ever had the unoaked and its one of my favourite american beers that i can actually get hold of back home

Usually when things are oaked they benefit from a lil warmth as do IPAs. You cant just ice it down and DRINK! sit and enjoy....so yeah itll take a while to really get the full enjoyment out of a 6er.

now im definitely going to track a few down, should be easier in london than perth, and hopefully not so expensive. its starting to get seriously cold here so a roomish temp beer would be nice with a stew on a shithouse night. think i saw a pub with some rauchbiers for takeaway, love them shits in winter so i may grab a mixed 6er and report back.

protester; did you source an imported cask or just go to Great Southern Distilleries? given how little they produce id assume the former but i know a few homebrewers who'd love to know.

5589753949_f75fd8eeaa.jpg

drinking it right now. honestly one of the best beers I've EVER had. take everything good about stouts (back-of-the-mouth bitterness [/nohomo?], richness) and mix it with vanilla oakiness and a ridiculous silky texture and a 9.5 ABV. not an everyday beer (esp at $11/22oz) but if you can get it, GET IT.

crooked: for real?! damn. I've been stoked on just about everything from Great Divide. Is this all recent trouble you've had? maybe i've just been lucky with the quality, i'll keep my fingers crossed though.

just goes to show you how everyone's palate is different. i like their stuff because it's (1) different from everything i grew up on back east and (2) not entirely about hops like a large majority of NW beers seem to be (understandably).

man, i'm like an accidental hipster. goddamn it. i should have known when the ironic mustache & cycling cap cashier at whole foods in portland was telling me how rad the brewery is.

fuck it, i'm drinking it when i can. tonight it's back to the east coast:

school-400x600.jpg

Dogfish Head Olde School Barleywine. Never had barleywine so this will be interesting.

doing some shopping before and they had a special on brew dog imperial IPA...now i can see why they were on special...seriously average, all the talk of a puckering and bitter beer, nonsense.

i dont know whether its my palette changing but a lot of beers that im re-visiting are a lot less enjoyable. maybe the first-time magic is gone, not sure.