The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

La chouffe is not actually brewed in America. It's a company with a brewery in Belgium.

The tripel IPA is in a sense a reverse transaction. It's the west coast IPA with the belgian yeast. Here we have our own examples such as Stone's Cali-Belgique, Green Flash's Belgian IPA, etc.

The Achouffe brewery is awesome. I'm a huge fan of their beers.

Sadly, last night, I had a skunked bottle of Saison Dupont. It wasn't horrible, just off. It's interesting how characteristically the skunk of a green bottle can come through.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Cus, I'm on the look out for that IPA tripel

@ theprotester, I'm confused. Isn't the term "Imperial" reserved for beers that have an abv above 9% or 10%? why would you doubt the ability of US brewers to be able to make a beer with a high abv? It seems to be a pretty simple fact that brewers in the US are making imperial beers whether you enjoy them or not is your opinion but I'm lost as to how these beers wouldn't be considered "imperial" by your standard.

I just got a bottle of the elysian jasmine ipa bout to crack into that with dinner. Im drinkin it now.....it is damn good. Elysian has yet to let me down with any of their beers. I suggest trying it if you see it

Goes well w/ Asian food on account of the jasmine,

If you check through the latest BJCP style guidelines you'll know that there are things like IPA and then a new style called 'American IPA' because it is so far from being an IPA, that instead of brewing within the style guidelines, they've made their own style and put American in front of it.

The word imperial has nothing to do with high gravity, although closely associated with the 'Imperial tag, I will agree. Imperial beers owe that name to the first Imperial beer, which was the Imperial Stout, brewed in England for the Russian Imperial Courts in I believe the mid 1700's - but I could be way off there.

For reference, I bloody love American IPA's - I even brew an American Imperial Red Ale (according to style) - I just find the term a bit funny!

Just ordered these;

GREENFLASH WESTCOAST IPA 650ML

STONE SMOKED PORTER 650ML

BALLAST SCULPIN IPA 650ML

LOST ABBEY DEVOTION 750ML

FIRESTONE WALKER DBA 355ML

BEAR REPUBLIC HOP ROD RYE 330ML

BEAR REPUBLIC RACER 5 330ML

BEAR REPUBLIC RED ROCKET 330ML

LAGUINTAS MAXIMUS 355ML

STONE DOUBLE BASTARD 650ML

AVERY HOG HEAVEN

BEAR REPUBLIC XP 650ML

DOGFISH HEAD CHICKORY STOUT

DOGFISH HEAD PALO SANTO

BREWDOG BASHAH 3PK

I've had a few before, looking forward to the rest.

I've never seen the Tripel Karmeliet in the brown bottle, is there a difference? I was on a huge Weihenstephaner weissbier kick a couple weeks ago when it was 100 degrees with 95% humidity outside.

you know, say what you will.

but sometimes there is nothing like an ice cold Coors Banquet.

1. National Bohemian

2. Budweiser

3. Coors Light

in that specific order, sometimes you need to drink some shit "american" light lager beers.

My old lady's at a bachelorette party all weekend, so I told her I was going to eat shitty food and drink beer the entire weekend because she can't stop me. /sorryliver

Drinking this right now. Pretty light and tasty for a Belgian, but I liked the Goose Island with the saphron more.

2011_6_3GooseIslandSofie.jpg

Next up a 12 of these

IMG_2271.jpg

Drank some of this last night along with left hand milk stout, kronnenburg, and some more delicious Pretty Things Jac D'or

4108316010_f45cf065a6_b.jpg

I drank these in a can all 4th of July, easily the coolest looking can ever made.

brooksummer1big.jpg