The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know dogfish is a hit or miss for a lot but none the less they do a good job with some beers. Whats the deal with them pulling their product out of certain states etc. I hear theyre facing an expansion dilemma with the amount of their consumer demand.

It's to due with adequate shipping and the costs there of.

It's why so many great beers are regional versus national.

Russian river being a perfect example. They won't even distribute all the way throughout CA. However, they will to certain accounts in CO because they have agreed to help mitigate the costs of shipping the beer properly.

Also, each state's alcohol commission makes each market difference.

Texas, for example, are a bunch of bastards who have such antiquated and arbitrary rules that it prevents most good beer from around the country that WOULD be distributed here out.

For instance, no beer over 14% can be sold in grocery stores. No beer without the label of "Beer" somewhere on it will be allowed in. So any beer which specifically and only refers to itself as an Ale will have issues getting clearance from TABC.

We had a New Holland tap take over at the bar last night with these on draft -

Mad Hatter

Oak Aged Hatter

Rye Hatter

Black Hatter

Farmhouse Hatter

Charkoota Rye

Dragon's Milk

El Mole Ocho

Envious

Poet Oatmeal Stout

Full Circle Kolsch

Golden Cap Saison

Night Tripper

The saison, rye hatter, Mole Oche, Dragons Milk and Hopivore (not listed) were highlights in my opinion. I'll be attending the Ommegang beer dinner tonight. I'm missing this year's Savor for the first time ever. http://www.savorcraftbeer.com/beer-food/savor-breweries/

Had this last night, absolutely delicious.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXheeozM0tFyc_JQ9V4QtjFVPpNgP03of1hkdml_xCUp1w0MqI

Not usually a fan of a lot of abbey ales, there is a "mustiness" to them I just cant get past. This, on the other hand, tastes like a really good home brew.

BTW, yes dragons milk is lovely.

This is a more approachable dubbel style beer, it is quite nice. It is produced by Sierra Nevada with some agreement/collaboration from a Belgian monastery.