MLB 2009 discussion thread!

IHATEU

I feel like the Dodger farm system was great back in the day, sucked for a minute, now is looking good again with guys like kemp, martin, loney, ethier etc. I hope and it looks like these guys pan out. I'd hate to see more hollandworths, mondesi's, etc. The Dodgers never really had a big name guy for awhile since say Piazza that was brought up through the org. Manny brings a level of exitement kinda like a rockstar element to the Dodgers. Well see how long that lasts. But it was good to see LA fans drive to SD and represent.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like the Dodger farm system was great back in the day, sucked for a minute, now is looking good again with guys like kemp, martin, loney, ethier etc. I hope and it looks like these guys pan out. I'd hate to see more hollandworths, mondesi's, etc. The Dodgers never really had a big name guy for awhile since say Piazza that was brought up through the org. Manny brings a level of exitement kinda like a rockstar element to the Dodgers. Well see how long that lasts. But it was good to see LA fans drive to SD and represent.

I hear what you're saying Pistol. Most def.

I just hate that any success they have this year will still be given to Manny when it isn't him alone. Right now Pierre would be my MVP for the team.

Dude is savage.

def give props to la for stayin up while manny was gone.. but i hate to tell you guys this cuase it happened last year... the road to the series is gonna go through philly again... we just collapsed and stll stayed in first.. swept the mets this wekeend cake walk this up comeing week and boom allstar weekedn.... looking pretty good right now

Twins put it on Detroit today. They stadium just seems like a terrible place

to catch a game tho. I mean. Baseball should be sunshine, beer, fresh air, cityscape,

Instead they play in recycled air and the ceiling is full on white with a serious light.

Yeah, the metrodome is a shithole. Starting next year we have an outdoor stadium though, so no more complaints about how easy it is to lose pop flies in the dome. Unfortunately i don't have access to twins games on tv these days, but i've been keeping an eye on mlb.com's pitch by pitch thing, and it was a damn good series. That 15 inning game was a hell of a game, even though we lost.

Yeah, the metrodome is a shithole. Starting next year we have an outdoor stadium though, so no more complaints about how easy it is to lose pop flies in the dome. Unfortunately i don't have access to twins games on tv these days, but i've been keeping an eye on mlb.com's pitch by pitch thing, and it was a damn good series. That 15 inning game was a hell of a game, even though we lost.

You don't have a TV? Sunday games are always on WFTC29. We've made the Fox Saturday series a few times, too.

And great game today. Morneau made it to the All-Star Game through the player ballots. I mean, he is by far the best-hitting (or just best) 1st Baseman in the AL. Maybe even one of the best hitters.

Do you think going to check out a game at the metrodome before it closes would be a waste of money? I kinda want to check out a game there just cause i heard it sucks so bad. /nh

*coming from LA.

Im guessing its not like shea or yankee stadium and just stay home.

You don't have a TV? Sunday games are always on WFTC29. We've made the Fox Saturday series a few times, too.

And great game today. Morneau made it to the All-Star Game through the player ballots. I mean, he is by far the best-hitting (or just best) 1st Baseman in the AL. Maybe even one of the best hitters.

Nah, i have a TV, but i'm not in minneapolis currently. Temporarily living elsewhere for a few months while i figure out where i'm going to be working/living. No FSN North here, so i'm forced to resort to mlb.com or find an internet radio broadcast unless we happen to get a nationally broadcasted game on espn or something. No Dick and Bert ftl.

Edit: Pistol, if you're already going to be in minneapolis its worth going to a game. The tickets are really cheap and its a good way to get out of the miserable summer heat for a few hours.

Do you think going to check out a game at the metrodome before it closes would be a waste of money? I kinda want to check out a game there just cause i heard it sucks so bad. /nh

*coming from LA.

Im guessing its not like shea or yankee stadium and just stay home.

No.

It's a huge concrete monstrosity. But what makes it suck so bad is that it is a terrible venue for baseball. It's a football stadium, if anything. The seats face forward instead of toward the diamond. So, if you're sitting on the baselines, you have to keep your head turned left or right to be able to see the action at home plate. It's terrible.

But we will have that nice stadium (and I mean nice) next year, outdoor, everything. Maybe you should see that.

No.

It's a huge concrete monstrosity. But what makes it suck so bad is that it is a terrible venue for baseball. It's a football stadium, if anything. The seats face forward instead of toward the diamond. So, if you're sitting on the baselines, you have to keep your head turned left or right to be able to see the action at home plate. It's terrible.

But we will have that nice stadium (and I mean nice) next year, outdoor, everything. Maybe you should see that.

And a link:

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/TargetField.htm

ESPN is alllll over this game, like it is some big deal (again, because it was the Reds). Not knocking your Phillies, though.

Twins routed the White Sox earlier this season, 20-1, and I don't think they got a blurb.

Buster Olney seems to be the only analyst at ESPN who isn't a complete homo groupie.

David Aardsma was robbed of an all star slot.

I could say the same for Russell Branyan who also deserves a spot but there are so many good american league first basemen that I can let it slide. But Aardsma is the 2nd best relief pitcher in the american league and he got snubbed.

Its not an "all star" game its a "most notable" game.

David Aardsma was robbed of an all star slot.

I could say the same for Russell Branyan who also deserves a spot but there are so many good american league first basemen that I can let it slide. But Aardsma is the 2nd best relief pitcher in the american league and he got snubbed.

Its not an "all star" game its a "most notable" game.

ya, problem is it's a popularity match..

ya, problem is it's a popularity match..

Exactly, a popularity contest.

Having a career season? Not on a large market team? Forget it.

That's why you see dudes like Russel Branyan, Aardsma, Torii Hunter (which is absolutely baffling), and others not making the team as starters or as reserves.

So you have undeserving players like Dustin Pedroia and Josh Hamilton starting as opposed to break out players.

A lot of people are frustrated by this, as am I. But it really isn't worth it.

As soon as I saw that Morneau was third in votes (clearly the best 1B in the AL), and that Josh Hamilton and JACOBY ELLSBURY were jockeying for a position in CF, I threw my arms up and said "forget it".

So from now on, I don't give a shit about the All-Star Game. If a guy makes it and deserves it, good for him, but if they don't, I'll just continue not caring, because it doesn't matter.

Milton's emotions seem to affect his playing, to where it is unnecessary. In reality, he's a great player, but he always plays with a chip on his shoulder.

I do have to say, though, that the fly ball he caught for the second out (thinking it was the third) and tossed into the stands was probably the dumbest thing ever.

i love how people that have loosing teams cry about the all star game... how one would say jason bay or Jacobgy Ellsbury would win any popularity contest is bonkers. the only thing they have going for them is that they are on the sox. Bay is having his best season ever and deserved the nod and Pedroia, dude was mvp and is still having a really consistent year and is killing it defensively, its not just about slugging percentage and HRs... small market teams or teams that suck get less votes because people dont notice them as much but they still get coverage and if your a real fan you know who is playing well. hell, ryan braun and joe mauer are both in small markets and got the vote. so you cant whine when Torii Hunter from a waaaay larger market then both failed to start. at least he is playing.

with that said i agree that Morneau is better then Teixeira at 1st base...