Re: announcement

!@#$%

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does 12oz make a profit on the adds?

and shop etc.?

i know its not my business ive just always been curious weather or not they make a large sum of money due to the site.

All I'm going to say is those ads go towards keeping this site running. If it weren't for those ads, I think you'd all have seen a "thanks, but 12oz is closed" page already. If you see ads popping up on the site it's because we need to keep the lights on for all you to see. Who knows what the future will hold for 12oz forums, but Raven's been pretty consistent with what he's done in the past. From the magazine, to the first launch of the forum, the growth of the forum, then the blogs and new bloggers? It's not a bad track record. So people need to notice that with ad agencies wanting to get up on this site, means 12oz can grow bigger and better.

Another way you can help, is by down loading this:

http://www.alexa.com/toolbar/

This will help you keep track of the rankings for websites. Obviously, the closer you get to #1 (Google.com) the more agencies want to use you. The Alexa toolbar helps you keep track of that. You can also compare it to other forums, and see that we are still ahead of the game.

just a heads up about the user cp ..everytime i click on mines it shows me the threads i'm subscribed to where as before it was my props and who gave me them.

No complaints just good luck with sorting it all out.

You can adjust that with the expand/collapse buttons across from the words 'subscribed thread' and 'lasest rep'. Its a light grey box with a + or - in it.

its not a democracy, so you're right about that.. and just 1 more reason to not drop a cent on them.. when i was banned, the situation was poorly handled by what ever moderator handled it, so good thing i wouldnt waste $ here. ida got robbed

sense of entitlement?

.. sense of reason, why would would you pay to be a part of that?

Well, let's follow your line of reasoning to its logical conclusion.

Why would you come back and post on a forum when it was made clear to you that your input was neither wanted nor needed here?

Raven isn't making a dime off of this site, so the least you can do is click an ad and give up the notion that he owes you something because you so nobly graced 12 oz with your presence.

does 12oz make a profit on the adds?

and shop etc.?

i know its not my business ive just always been curious weather or not they make a large sum of money due to the site.

(Disclaimer: this is by no means the official word, just what I seem to remember hearing at some point)

As far as I'm aware 12oz has run at a loss for most of its lifespan, being propped up at first by Raven personally, and then later subsidized by related projects (4THW, AKA etc.). My guess is that since the relaunch and resultant increase in advertising, the forums now break even, or, if they do make any money the vast majority of it will be ploughed straight back into improving content. From my understanding of what Raven does outside of 12oz he neither needs to nor wants to run the site as a money spinning venture simply to line his pockets. (Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken)

The bottom line is that server space + bandwidth for a site of this size is not cheap and since most of you are too damn cheap to fork out $18/year (what does that translate to in the US? 6 beers at a bar? That's giving up half a beer a month...), what advertising revenue is generated can only maintain the current server capacity instead of increasing it in line with the growth of the site and/or adding more features. If one day the site can no longer be sustained I'm willing to bet that people who will complain the most and most vocally will be those who are currently complaining that they shouldn't have to support the site financially...

none of the 'gone' threads can be retrieved

it was tried and it failed.

deepest regrets offered.

who started that thread?

let's petition them to plz start it again

and PLEASE DO NOT START THREADS WITHOUT POSTING RELEVANT PICS

thanks for your cooperation

Guest spectr

so 12oz has ads, shit its been ad free for how many years? how many web sites are ad free now? most have ads, at least with 12oz its a small add just for the second post in a thread. So what if google spys on us a little and finds ways to sell market data to corporations on how to sell us graffiti products so that they make money off a culture why the kids who put in the most work slave away at it daily.

So when you get the ads just know its impossible to do something for free your entire life, and people are always going to exploit that fact. So you might as well be the one getting paid.

• 3 weeks later...

Can an adim elaborate on what a premium account brings? I am a photographer doing my best to document graffiti. I came here to share my photos of some very wonderful art. I am not saying I can't afford teh $18 fee, but you got to add that to my flickr, xbox, netflix, and all the other bills an old fart accrues.