Get Your Wall Street On FINANCE Mega Thread ......................................

Poesia [ ] T

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

so i'm waiting for the market to bottom out and thinking of starting an IRA

wondering if it has yet, i think not.

anyone?

how about advantages of an IRA (roth or whatever) over other types of retirement accounts?

and yes, i am too old.

This may sound retarded to most but If i had a little extra coin i really consider Buying Ford attttttt (let me check.......) Wow.. 5$ a share. A month ago they were less then a dollar. If any of the car companies have a decent chance of walking away from this situation unscathed it will be Ford.

Several years ago Ford pulled a super ballsy move and upped their credit line through the roof and formed these HUGE cash reserves. The public and many people that were in the know were completely stumped.

Now Ford is in no way, shape, or form "sitting pretty" but they are handling their finances and weathering the storm much better than the other big boys.

My buddy was day trading Ford stock last month and reportedly made close to 8 grand.

Food for thought

^^^^^^ This man knows what hes talking about..

The Market ALWAYS recovers. Just like anything else that is cyclical. It just a matter of Economics. Financially, the USA will be strong sometime again. The question is just when. Everything is a matter of when.

Also, some people have talked about investing in renewable energy companies and corporations that deal with solar and wind energy. This cn be a good idea but its likely that you will not see any decent return for a long long time.

The banks? I have WM, JPMC, and BofA in a watch portfolio right now. No investments just keeping tabs. Who knows what the fuck will happen to them. They are up and down everyday

With 20 grand I would put maybe half in a no-load, low expense mutual fund, or put it in your company's 401k if that option is available.. The other half i would consider as a down payment on a home seeing as they are exceptionally cheap right now..

Also giving advice to people to buy 1 particular stock shouldn't be taken seriously.. There are people called traders who go to prestigious universities in order to do this; so if you aren't one of them, it might be a little to risky for you.

ALSO, market bottoms can't be called until after the fact.. shit is cheap right now which is all ya need to know.

clearly market bottoms are known after the fact

i don't think anyone is fuckin psychic haha.

there are indicators though.

picking one stock is dumb.

the secret to stock market wins seems to be:

diversify.

and put money in, and LEAVE it there over many years if not decades.

the returns on people who stay in for a long time are much better, statistically, than for people who play the market. my uncle does this and he is hemmorhaging money.

if you are diversified you won't be as subject to ups and downs (hopefully)

low fee institutions are good too

(read, stay away from merrill lynch)

i am thinking of going to TRowePrice. they have a great history of longevity and respond to conditions (they are laying ppl off rightnow, not giving out massive bonuses)

i do not want a 401k. i am hearing scary shit about fees eating so far into the returns there aren't any.

i put a lot down on my house to avoid private mortgage insurance.

so if you go to real estate to invest, try to minimize as much overhead as youcan, by getting a good deal on homeowners' ins and no PMI.

imho.

If you want to beat the market you have to cheat the market if your looking to get rich watch the Movie "wall street" then see where you can get the best insider trading information buy a bunch of that stock dump it or short it when its overpriced or underpriced then repeat the process till you end up in prison, make sure to pay off as many judges and politicians while you got the cash in the case you get caught they send you to a federal prison where you can play some tennis and sip Lattes passing time till you go home and open up those overseas accounts where you funneled your money. Small price to pay for retirement at the age of 40-45.

Thats one way to make some cash, me im not on that path cause i dont play tennis and lattes are for women. Im a golf man and espresso kind of guy.

Guest 50million

poe, i faxed that shit today at 12pm sharp.

some dude just bought 8 million shares in whole foods stock. it went up ten bucks in 2 months.

Yes i got it, thanks. So IOU is in town for how long, ill give you guys a call tomorrow i got a couple of appointments tomorrow early but im thinking about painting out that way. Also i watched Whole foods stock for awhile it was good look, but like someone said earlier the longer you have an outlook to keep the stock the better your return.

clearly market bottoms are known after the fact

i don't think anyone is fuckin psychic haha.

there are indicators though.

picking one stock is dumb.

the secret to stock market wins seems to be:

diversify.

and put money in, and LEAVE it there over many years if not decades.

the returns on people who stay in for a long time are much better, statistically, than for people who play the market. my uncle does this and he is hemmorhaging money.

if you are diversified you won't be as subject to ups and downs (hopefully)

low fee institutions are good too

(read, stay away from merrill lynch)

i am thinking of going to TRowePrice. they have a great history of longevity and respond to conditions (they are laying ppl off rightnow, not giving out massive bonuses)

i do not want a 401k. i am hearing scary shit about fees eating so far into the returns there aren't any.

i put a lot down on my house to avoid private mortgage insurance.

so if you go to real estate to invest, try to minimize as much overhead as youcan, by getting a good deal on homeowners' ins and no PMI.

imho.

I won't pretend to know everything, but you might want to look again at the 401k. With the employer match and tax deductions it still might be worth it. In a regular mutual fund, capital gains, dividends and income from bonds are all taxed, and those rates will likely be going up in the next couple years. I would look for fund(s) with a low turnover % to help keep cap gains down.. You can't go wrong with morningstar, check out the book "fund spy" or subscribe to the website. Personally I've been interested in VWINX and VWELX lately.

You are right about diversification, it is dollar cost averaging that is supposed to keep you steady; ie: putting a fixed amount into the market every month. There are all kinds of funds to suit risk tolerances from money markets to bonds to international equity, as well as lifespan funds that set a target retirement year and change asset allocation as you get older..