N E W Y O R K C I T Y

SaYoH

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 198.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr.Manhattan

• SEX ON FRIDAYS

• CyanideBklyn

• nycisdead106

Bill Bratton has a deep, personal hatred of graffiti

By Natasha Velez and Jamie Schram May 21, 2014 | 12:40pm

bratton3.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1

No wonder why Police Commissioner Bill Bratton is hell-bent on waging war on graffiti around town.

“I have a weekend home on Long Island and I go out of my mind when I see the graffiti. I plan on setting up video surveillance to capture graffiti vandals to enforce this,” Bratton told reporters Wednesday after a speech at the Harvard Club.

Bratton said that his new program targeting graffiti vandals is also an essential tool in fighting gangs.

His announcement comes after The Post broke the story Saturday about cops using spray cans to black out graffiti across the city.

“We’ll be dealing with that graffiti as far as the vandalism aspect, the gangs or crews if you will, use that to spread messages, as a way to mark their territory,” he pointed out, adding: “That’s how they convey threats to each other. Our vandals unit handles that and determines what we should look at.”

The Commish referenced a 14 mile stretch along the Long Island Expressway that is plagued by graffiti, which constantly reappears after it has been painted over.

“It’s covered up very quickly but they’re back at it again,” Bratton said about the vandals on the LIE. “We can’t just keep doing the same old thing all over again. We need to find new ways to basically make the arrest.”

Earlier in the event, an attendee asked Bratton about the increase in graffiti on city streets.

“My neighborhood has already seen a real explosion of graffiti,” the attendee said.

Bratton responded, “The issue of graffiti is something will be addressing more significantly. We have a graffiti stat each week that is part of our traffic stat. I’ll be starting to attend that.”

http://nypost.com/2014/05/21/bill-bratton-has-a-deep-personal-hatred-of-graffiti/