N E W Y O R K C I T Y

SaYoH

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 198.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr.Manhattan

• SEX ON FRIDAYS

• CyanideBklyn

• nycisdead106

If any of you fly guys and fly girls managed to make it through all of these, then you're just as lame as me. Jokes.

Getting through all of that was like getting to here

mario-world-super-player-j.png

Save a city, paint a train.

tumblr_n299z4OufL1stap42o1_1280.jpg

Screen-shot-2014-03-17-at-2.28.09-PM.png

2039.jpg

1289.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akLKrd7zlS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wea8ZQ0II4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7gl4qChsmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6DRIuSdRQU

nyc-streetscene.gif

Be Careful

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/19/nyregion/a-way-of-tracking-deer-helps-the-police-follow-their-prey-in-the-subway.html?ref=nyregion

A Way of Tracking Deer Helps the Police Follow Their Prey in the Subway

CRIMESCENE-master495.jpg

Bushnell, the maker of optical equipment for hunters, sells a “trophy camera” that tracks deer after dark. Mounted to a tree and armed with a motion detector, the camera silently snaps infrared pictures of passing animals that don’t see a thing.

A New York City police detective and a sergeant in the transit bureau have five of these cameras. Not to track deer, but rather a different sort of game — one that was abundant 20 years ago before it disappeared, only to recently return.

Subway copper thieves.

The officers rig the cameras to poles in the tunnels and elevated tracks of the subway system. And they wait. Later, they check the data in the camera, sometimes finding what they are looking for: a clear and time-stamped image of a man walking along a dark track. The copper thieves break into restricted areas behind the tunnel walls and spend long hours sawing through the cables, one foot at a time, until they reach the limit of what they can physically carry outside and take to a scrap-metal company for sale. For a foot of copper, which can weight eight pounds, the thieves can get upward of $24, the police said.

“If they’re in a tunnel and there’s no one around, they can spend all day down there,” said Detective Nino Navarra, 49. “It’s an investment.”

The crime was far more prevalent 20 years ago, when Detective Navarra and Sgt. Kevin J. Cooper, 46, his partner in the transit bureau, were relatively new to the force. “We kind of knocked it out,” Sergeant Cooper said. “It really wasn’t a problem until the last three years. It’s been popping up.” There is no simple explanation why.

The thieves have done some homework and can identify what is known as the negative return cable, not “the one with juice in it,” Sergeant Cooper said. “You need some kind of electrical experience.”

There are areas of the subway system with a surplus of negative return cable, said Kevin Ortiz, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. The theft of that cable usually goes unnoticed at first. But if too much of it goes missing, the positive cable can overheat and cause a fire.

The cable is as thick as a forearm and sheathed in heavy rubber that must be removed before it reaches the scrapyard. On Nov. 15 last year, a man was spotted lugging 15 feet of cable in a subway station at Canal Street. It was 7:40 a.m. on a Friday. The man, identified as Phillip Johnston, 60, an ex-convict, was arrested. He was found to be carrying several tools, including a tape measure and a headlamp.

“He had it down to a science,” Sergeant Cooper said. “He had a calculator in his pocket.” Mr. Johnston confessed to thefts from earlier in the year, on the same line of the J train. “In June, I took the copper cable from the dead tracks on Bowery,” Mr. Johnston told the police, according to a criminal complaint, referring to an unused stretch of track he and an accomplice visited. “Two contractors saw us and asked what we were doing. I figured it was time to leave.”

Mr. Johnston’s case is pending. In another recent case, the suspect was not only a reminder of the bad old days of 20 years ago — he was an active participant at the time.

Prince Hayes, 52, had already served time in prison for larceny when he was arrested, in 1993, at a DeKalb Avenue subway station in Brooklyn. He would return to jail and prison several more times in the years that followed. In 2008, he severed a cable, which caused a train to abruptly stop.

“I really don’t know how the train stopped,” Mr. Hayes told a parole board in 2009. “It never happened before.” He said he sold stolen copper to support a cocaine habit. Asked about a charge of reckless endangerment, he said, “I didn’t know I endangered nobody’s life but my own.”

In February 2013, Mr. Hayes was arrested while carrying stolen copper wire and a hacksaw at that same DeKalb subway station.

“He was mad,” Sergeant Cooper said. “He said, ‘Not again.’ ”

The police began using the trophy cameras in September. “Within three hours of the first camera being installed at one location, copper cable thieves were caught on camera and eventually arrested,” Mr. Ortiz, the authority spokesman, said. Nine incidents of trespassing in the subways have been caught on camera, and two people have been arrested as a result, the police said.

They might agree with a man pitching the Bushnell camera on the company’s website. “This thing,” he said, “is truly a game changer.”