4/11/08 Maintenance Discussion Thread

wanga

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i hope its like that, but then again, most of the brickslayer kids are too dumb to know how to use IRC anyways

There's a lot of pretty user friendly clients out there, so don't assume Beavis and Butt-head won't find their way in somehow.

I was thinking if you're setting up an IRC server, creating several channels early on makes more sense.

The other thing is....who's gonna be admin/op? IRC needs even more moderation than a forum, because it's in real time and people can run scripts, etc.

bots bots bots bots

giving a fully configured bot ops can do all that work for you, and a lot quicker than most humans. plus they can add cool shit like point systems, save memorable quotes, and give realtime news, and for the superstitious, horoscopes aswell. god knows there's an endless amount of plugins that can be used for them depending on the type of the bot.

configuring the bot itself would be the pain in the ass, but after that it should be chill.

and casek, as of 2 days ago, 12oz wasn't working too well in my pocket pc, still normal structure. i don't know if 12oz itself didn't recognize a pocketpc as mobile arch. but things like google, download.com, etc do.

bots bots bots bots

giving a fully configured bot ops can do all that work for you, and a lot quicker than most humans. plus they can add cool shit like point systems, save memorable quotes, and give realtime news, and for the superstitious, horoscopes aswell. god knows there's an endless amount of plugins that can be used for them depending on the type of the bot.

configuring the bot itself would be the pain in the ass, but after that it should be chill.

and casek, as of 2 days ago, 12oz wasn't working too well in my pocket pc, still normal structure. i don't know if 12oz itself didn't recognize a pocketpc as mobile arch. but things like google, download.com, etc do.

yeah, the eggdrop bots are probably the best.

hmm, i'm gonna go get my pda and check it out..

I second this. I would go around other websites and they would be running well, while 12oz's stucture was "off" a bit.

stopping open registration would not do SHIT to irc, irc networks are open regardless unless you have a specific IP address logged (which normally is only used for providing OPs to correct people) or having a registered nickname, in which case, the bots would take care of anyone who happen to invade. open reg. would only stop bullshit on the forums, IRC would be fully spam-able by morons still unless the previous precautions were taken.

having a nicksrv bot, chansrv bot, and opersrv bot would help minimize bullshit, and also help admins lay the smacketh down and enforce the banhammer to it's fullest.

So in reply to all you guys:

1) IRC will be open to all, the main channel will be #12oz

2) Other channels can be created at will

3) Misteraven and I will be the sole IRCops for now, if anyone here has run a irc server before (unrealirc ircu hybrid with services) let me know, I'll def put you down for ircop status.

3.a) Channel Operators will be responsible for moderation, kicking misbehaving users etc..

4) We will be running services on the IRC server so you'll be able to register your nicks/channels

5) Eggdrop bots are a peace of cake to setup, I'll throw up a thread later about possible features that you want implemented in them, i.e. quotes, weather, stats, new posts, hot threads etc..

6)

I strongly suggest that you make more than one channel, Wanga. It will be impossible to have a conversation with hundreds of people all stuffed into one chat.

At the very least have a graffiti channel and a non-graffiti channel. I think we can take it from there.

I strongly suggest that you make more than one channel, Wanga. It will be impossible to have a conversation with hundreds of people all stuffed into one chat.

At the very least have a graffiti channel and a non-graffiti channel. I think we can take it from there.

we can set up channels in irc by ourselves. all goes on one server...real easy.

spectr remembers by 12oz irc chan on the spiritplants server...

I think if a couple people get in there and do some quick work, they could whip it into shape before it becomes too chaotic.

If the channels are good then they'll sustain themselves.

I'll get in touch with spectr and tell him what's up. He'll be stoked.