Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr. h

Web Design

Only web thread i seen. I was wondering what I should start charging for this?

I am doing my first real job. its my homies welding and iron gate fence company.

If anyone here does this for a living, what do you charge for?

I googled shit and its either outdated, or inconsistent.

How long do you think it would take you to design the page? How many pages are there? If it's 1 to 3 pages. I think since it's your friend and I'm assuming it's not going to be something complicated. I'd say around 300 to 500 should be reasonable.

I've seen people charging in the 1,000's for a bullshit crap site.

I just put one up today, it's really simple. It's for my aerosol paint line that's coming out.

http://www.artissin.com

Word.

I can design well, just havent put up a webpage up yet. Im working on a couple of them, but they are not going up till summer.

I ended up Charging $500, figured it would take me 10-15 hours of work with coding images and a gallery.

thanks though.

what are some good web hosting sites these days

anything worthwhile out there thats free???

back when i was really into this i had my stuff on geocities and another site that changed up the URL name... whats going on with website making these days, id imagine its changed a lot?

I ask cuz i want to make another site for myself soon

what are some good web hosting sites these days

anything worthwhile out there thats free???

back when i was really into this i had my stuff on geocities and another site that changed up the URL name... whats going on with website making these days, id imagine its changed a lot?

I ask cuz i want to make another site for myself soon

Check out Godaddy they are pretty cheap and Dot5Hosting they are really cheap and good as well.

Word.

I can design well, just havent put up a webpage up yet. Im working on a couple of them, but they are not going up till summer.

I ended up Charging $500, figured it would take me 10-15 hours of work with coding images and a gallery.

thanks though.

Yeah I think that's a fair n good deal.

The best host I've found is bluehost.com

unlimited bandwidth for a year, multiple mysql databases if needed, and an address for like $60 a year.

Good tech support as well, had a few others over the years but I'm really pleased with their performance and price.

I do web design on a strictly freelance basis, usually revolves around custom themes for wordpress and other publishing platforms.

I used to just hit off basic html pages with css for layout and javascript for interactivity.

I've found learning wordpress codecs and a little php/sql scripting is well worh it.

Most people want to be able to update or add to the site themselves, I hated explaining the shit over and over.

People prefer working with a platform that can be made into a blog or basically any format you want but it's as easy to update like a facebook.

Not to mention having all the SEO worked out automatically and things like a search button and what not makes my customers much happier.

Anyway, I'll post up some new examples in here sooner or later, anyone trying to figure this shit out holler.

I am a fancy shmancy freelance web developer...if you want some help PM me, i will answer any other questions you have...

First things first...DON'T goto godaddy....they have shitty support and they don't have a very friendly system....Hostmonster.com stomps on godaddy all day long....

in response to mercers post:

Very good idea using something such as wordpress as a CMS platform...I do alot more heavy coding and don't prefer CMS but for simple site it is a really good option.

__ __ __ __:

500 seems like a fair price for what you doing, but on a side note, make sure you don't charge by page...that is a rather outdated practice and isn't really preferred nowadays....People like having a solid piecework quote much better...

CMS is where it's at, at least for sites that have constantly changing/updating content.

Most of the sites I build are for artists, photographers, and print design people who constantly want to change or update.

I tried showing people I've built html sites for how to code and giving templates to copy paste but they never listen.

I hate it when they try to use gui shit like dreamweaver or some other bullshit that destroys their layout.

As far as I know now, the only sites still kicking that I've had a hand in use content management.

If someone fucks their shit up I won't look through their codes and try to find what they did and fix it for free.

If it's too much work I just try to sell them on getting a custom wordpress theme built by me around their design,

or if I'm lucky something nice I designed the layout myself for them.

I was actually thinking of using squarespace for my personal site once its done. I seen wordpress but tried the squarespace and things seemed easier to use and edit. and it ad the whole upload a stylesheet. and their customer support is crazy fast.

The best host I've found is bluehost.com

unlimited bandwidth for a year, multiple mysql databases if needed, and an address for like $60 a year.

Good tech support as well, had a few others over the years but I'm really pleased with their performance and price.

I do web design on a strictly freelance basis, usually revolves around custom themes for wordpress and other publishing platforms.

I used to just hit off basic html pages with css for layout and javascript for interactivity.

I've found learning wordpress codecs and a little php/sql scripting is well worh it.

Most people want to be able to update or add to the site themselves, I hated explaining the shit over and over.

People prefer working with a platform that can be made into a blog or basically any format you want but it's as easy to update like a facebook.

Not to mention having all the SEO worked out automatically and things like a search button and what not makes my customers much happier.

Anyway, I'll post up some new examples in here sooner or later, anyone trying to figure this shit out holler.

I got some good advice from you there! Thanks

I am a fancy shmancy freelance web developer...if you want some help PM me, i will answer any other questions you have...

First things first...DON'T goto godaddy....they have shitty support and they don't have a very friendly system....Hostmonster.com stomps on godaddy all day long....

in response to mercers post:

Very good idea using something such as wordpress as a CMS platform...I do alot more heavy coding and don't prefer CMS but for simple site it is a really good option.

__ __ __ __:

500 seems like a fair price for what you doing, but on a side note, make sure you don't charge by page...that is a rather outdated practice and isn't really preferred nowadays....People like having a solid piecework quote much better...

Always good to learn something new! Thanks for sharing with us!

• Like 1

dont think ive ever posted on here before but Bluehost is definatly worth it, great prices and there support is fantastic, was with them for 2 years.

Basic web design can be incredibly helpful, while you don't have to pay a large amount of cash for the content, but you are still profiting from a web designer's skill.

Web Design Surrey

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now