Gat damn hippies!

soupBDC

Why would I be mad that I'm smarter than you? It's your loss, not mine.

i don't disagree w/ what this thread is about, but you can't argue that a higher IQ means you'll care more about the future.

hell, plenty of brilliant people clearly don't give a damn about the future

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

You're coming off a little condescending. If you don't live in the woods and are completely self-sufficient I don't think you have the right to call people stupid on the internet. I agree taking a million short cuts because it's cheaper and easier is really fucking things up, but come on you don't have to be an asshole because you posted a link with a Morgan Freeman narration and have said nothing to back up what you feel is wrong. Other than "I'm smarter than you."

Condescending? Cry me a river. Don't like that answer? You're reading into what I post any way you want so what the fuck do you want me to say?

Fist, It was more directed towards people who think If I use hippy in the thread title it's instantly cool to talk shit about it without understanding what I'm even talking about.

The series is about why being energy efficient and conserving the world's material resources is good for everything, including the economy and your fun money. The video's not without its faults, but it's a good jumpoff. I'm not trying to be crossfire-esk, but knocking it because environmentalism in this country is a hippy word is fucking retarded.

Edit:

Since i'm still laughing at being called "condescending," by someone who thinks environmentalists want eight billion people to live in the woods: I'm an architectural engineer at UC Berkeley. Needless to say sustainable design is fucking HUGE right now. I just thought the video was approachable enough for anyone, and if someone likes this shit let me know I've got a bunch of other books and meta resources for you.

Fist, It was more directed towards people who think If I use hippy in the thread title it's instantly cool to talk shit about it without understanding what I'm even talking about.

yeah, hippies are totally gay. fags caring about the earth and stuff. fags.

i am going to check it out...my friend is interested in architecture im going to ping him on it too

dude i have met some cool hippy type cats..the kind that take showers and always have really good deals on homegrown.

id say that this issue should strike more with the up and coming potential homebuyers who could save thousands of dollars by going green...and all the people who actually want there kids to have quality experiences like climb halfdome and visit yellowstone and shit like that...heres a good link

If someone's got a way to change videos from itunes into something without a password, I can upload the series, because I want this series to be available whether you're stuck on stupid about the word hippy in the title, or not.

Until then tho here's something for you to gnaw on.

In the united states:

40% of carbon emmissions are caused by buildings.

27% of carbon emmissions are caused by transportation

25% of corbon emmissions are caused by industrial

8% of carbon emmissions are caused by the construction of buildings, making the materials etc.

70% of the power generated goes using buildings

In 2035, 75% of all the buildings in America will either be new or renovated. (Construction workers, get your party hats on)

By 2030, if power conservation and the conservation of fossil fuels isn't implemented:

Energy consumption in the US goes up 70%

20% of the world's species will die

Much of the east coast, new orleans, texas, and the bay area MIGHT be under water.

By 2050 the world's temperature will rise 2° centigrade (not confused with celcius)

By 2100 the world's temperature will rise again 1° centigrade, which will cause massive amounts of methane currently frozen to thaw and cause catastrophic global warming

Dude live in a shed with two jobs so you can pay for electricity. What the fuck do I care?
In the summer I put the windows up and run the AC...Makes for a nice breeze. :lol: My money is long enough that I can do that, and not worry about the bill.

Also by the year 2030 I hope to be dead, I don't give a shit who comes after me. :cool:

the overwhelming idiocy of the majority on here never ceases to amaze me.

the overwhelming excess of your idiotic vocabulary usage causes my assumption that you are not nearly as smart as you think you might be.

i agree with most of these ideals, but cme on, you post these clips from cable in the classroom combined with the rant your earth sciences professor made in class last week and think you know everything....

of course your ging to get clowned, if not for your immature attitude , then for your rudamentary-at-best comprehension of the subjects

its attitudes like this that make people think higher education is a waste of time and money - dont worry after you graduate that will begin to subside

some of these green processes (recycling of most plastics being included) actually use more energy than they save... they are done simply because they make people feel smarter and lik they are making a difference

"the overwhelming excess of your idiotic vocabulary usage causes my assumption that you are not nearly as smart as you think you might be."

Did you just look all those words up in a thesaurus or something? Typing like that doesn't make you look smart, just longwinded—like a 1700's physics book.

So you want a discussion here of how I'm wrong and 'dupid and haven't even thought of all the brilliant ideas you have? First off, no thanks; Second, tell me where I even made mention of recycling? This isn't some broad discussion here about hugging trees and saving the planet: it's focused on one specific half of crisis surrounding carbon emissions. Construction, buildings, and building materials. Any of those in your post would have been correct answers. Plastic bottles and the recycling of bottles, NOPE.

I mean think about what you're saying here. Is it really that fucking condescending to post a video? I'm not shoving it down your fucking throat, am I? I'm pretty sure you're reading this (THIS) voluntarily. I'm sharing something I find interesting, a simple basic video. If you want to make this about me, go ahead: You're already off on a brilliant start. Oh noes! I'm being condescending again!

In the summer I put the windows up and run the AC...Makes for a nice breeze. :lol: My money is long enough that I can do that, and not worry about the bill.

Also by the year 2030 I hope to be dead, I don't give a shit who comes after me. :cool:

Haha what I should've said is what you pay for utilities is what I'm saving and going on vacation with. Hawaii son, every fucking year. For the rest of my life. What about you?

granted, i have a feeling that i wont be seeing 30.

just the same, i'd rather that any of my friends who plan on living to a ripe ol' age don't have to suffer through anything that's preventable..... or their children for that matter.

i'm so glad that your money is "long", but that doesn't make you any less of a tool, unfortunately.

i'm sort of impressed that some of you are actually trying to be douchebags about this to someone with a strong architectural/engineering background (soup, i don't remember exactly what you said you were a professor of.... sorry). just the same though, you can tell that most of you fall into one of the two categories:

1)people under 18 who are just chock full of that teen-angst stuff. i suppose this makes you only half-stupid.... as you're ignorant and getting angry at you would be the same as thinking that your new puppy understands why you're mad that it crapped on the rug. then again, i'm sure that theres at least one of you who's still crapping their pants. i forgot what the correlation was that i was going to make there...... but it had to do with you being young retards who shit your pants. run with that.

2)people over 18 who are just flat out stupid and need to voice their "opinions" as though it was some sort of a virtue to be mentally-retarded. have fun with being written off for the rest of your miserable lives. those of us who have some degree of intelligence will be rolling our eyes and laughing at you for the rest of your life. run with that too.

on that note, it's wine time.

"the overwhelming excess of your idiotic vocabulary usage causes my assumption that you are not nearly as smart as you think you might be."

Did you just look all those words up in a thesaurus or something? Typing like that doesn't make you look smart, just longwinded—like a 1700's physics book.

So you want a discussion here of how I'm wrong and 'dupid and haven't even thought of all the brilliant ideas you have? First off, no thanks; Second, tell me where I even made mention of recycling? This isn't some broad discussion here about hugging trees and saving the planet: it's focused on one specific half of crisis surrounding carbon emissions. Construction, buildings, and building materials. Any of those in your post would have been correct answers. Plastic bottles and the recycling of bottles, NOPE.

I mean think about what you're saying here. Is it really that fucking condescending to post a video? I'm not shoving it down your fucking throat, am I? I'm pretty sure you're reading this (THIS) voluntarily. I'm sharing something I find interesting, a simple basic video. If you want to make this about me, go ahead: You're already off on a brilliant start. Oh noes! I'm being condescending again!

first off your a douche if you cant tell that intentionally long wnded sentence was a joke of a re-write from absynthe partys dumbass post. nobody really talks like that, and im glad you picked up on how stupid that sounds, although the irony was completely lost on you

second, you post sme lame ass cable in the classroom shit like yu had this great idea to lead a 12oz revolution, get all on your high horse, then get all mad like you are now when people clown you for acting the clown... the ideas are good but the shit you posted is amost like the guy who stated the google earth thread yesterday. what you are agreeing with is good, for the most part, but you havnt shown the slightest indication of understanding any more than what you are spoon fed.

what about the start up energy costs forproduction of solar cells? what about the eergy lost in innefective recycling techniqes? how do you offset initial expense vs long term envirnmental drain?

if you put something out on an open forum, dont catch a feeling when jokes get thrown. yu look like a herb.

first off your a douche if you cant tell that intentionally long wnded sentence was a joke of a re-write from absynthe partys dumbass post. nobody really talks like that, and im glad you picked up on how stupid that sounds, although the irony was completely lost on you

a poorly written re-write that wasn't amusing.

also, it wasn't really ironic.

sorry that i speak in a way that's (usually) grammatically correct.

Haha drop the 12oz revolution bit. Im sharing a fucking TV show. It's just ways to save money, if you're not interested in that, why are you here?

Dude you're beyond caught up in your own e-image. I don't even know who the fuck you are—or do you think you can just type shit to anyone on the internet and get an emotional reaction? There's no feelings here; no argument. I'm telling you how it is and you're choosing whether or not to read it.

I caught the sarcasm, it was in poor taste. You want to get into a discussion so you can flex your intellectualism in front of some internet crowd AND you want to start beef with a kid so it takes up half a fucking page like any of you actually just did something, besides waste your time.

ou need to pick one and drop the other; Logical coherant discussion, or waste of time internet ranting, "oh shit my pussy hurts, ha ha I think I made someone mad through the interweb I's so cool" fucking delusional bullshit.

Here's my response the energy efficiency:

On average it takes five years for a solar installation to pay for itself. As in from the time you install the panels, you no longer pay for electricity, and your electrical company is paying you. There's also numerous cheaper materials that can be used to collect solar energy, which are cheap enough for even the poorest parts of America.

The recycling is obviously a tougher question, but the reality is the energy used in recycling on the entire grid is pretty fucking miniscule. We can burn it all, but we do to a large portion of it. Tokyo has a garbage furnace connected to numerous apartment complexes via a string of air pressurized tubes (think futurama). There's no trucks picking up garbage, and no garbage on the streets. That's just one example.

Here's the "big picture" tho, since it seems hard for you to grasp. Like I said 75% of America's buildings in the next 20 years will be NEW buildings, or old buildings that have been rennovated. That just means we need to create more energy efficient designs. Houses right now overheat because windows facing south are too big. The walls and roof are made of shit and don't provide enough thermal density. Think of the size of skyscrapers and office buildings built with no idea of how to save energy. Ever seen a skyscraper in a hot city with glass for walls? What do you think they were thinking when they built that? They thought it looked pretty and had air conditioning, with a million dollar utility bill.

Think of the shit they make houses out of. How about straw? Straw bale, for instance, is infinitely renewable, cheap as dirt to manufacture, can provide insulation for the poorest people in the world in the coldest parts of the world, and it's just as practical for rich people too. You can press it into bricks as hard as wood, and it's more fire resistant as wood as well. Straw bale is porous, providing insulation on rainy days but the house can still breathe.

Our energy consumption in the next twenty years will need new energy as well, estimated to be the same as 267 new coal plants opened up in America alone, which won't be built. Prices for living on the grid will sink the economy into a real fucking depression. You'll have a choice of creating your own electricity, or living without it.

This is in America with 300 million people. China has 1.3 billion people and is expected to construct 400 million new houses in the next twenty years. As far as your environmental drain goes, if all those houses were built out of brick, there'd be no soil left in the entire country. China knows they don't have a fucking choice so you see these appartment complexes popping up with green roofs, their own natural water treatment system using a pond and natural renewable resources, and their own solar and geothermal energy as well. Other office buildings are constructed to be so energy efficient they use 3 to 4 times less energy than the average office building.

If you think that doesn't effect you, like I said 25% of LA's pollution comes from China. China also exports it's garbage into US landfills, nevermind the landfill 300 feet tall and the size of Texas floating in the pacific ocean, killing off much of the fish I'd be eating right now.

I could go on for fucking days dude.

And Im not a professor, I never said I was.