If you like folky-bluesy-country music

shitting

Then download these. Probably my favorite discoveries of last year :

1)The Handsome Family. A married couple hailing from Albuquerque.

. The Handsome Family pushes the edge of the country envelope...One of the reasons I love the Handsome Family is that it challenges listeners to think about exactly what qualifies as country. On one level, the band reaches back to the music's earliest days, drawing inspiration from the plaintive yearning and soulful yodeling of the Carter Family, the Louvin Brothers and Jimmie Rodgers. On another level, it's making music for the new millennium...by utilizing a drum machine and beefing up their sound with ambitious instrumental backings...

Interview:

What are you both up to at the moment?

Right now I am regretting eating octopus for dinner. I am only eating things that I could imagine killing which leaves my meat options: spiders, octopus and sardines. Oh well. Also, we are packing all our belongings in boxes and are moving to Albuquerque, New Mexico in two days. They have rattlesnakes there. I could probably eat one of those.

How was your recent UK tour? How do you find touring over here compared to back home?

The drives are a lot shorter which is very nice. Less road rage in our "tour bus." The audiences in the UK are very attentive and thoughtful too. The US shows tend to have more drunks screaming, "Freebird" which gets less amusing every time it happens.

Some good ones to download are:

So Much Wine

The bottomless pit

Beautiful William

Bowling Alley Bar

Teslas Hotel Room

Flapping your broken wings

2) The Darling Downs from Melbourne.

The Darling Downs stand out as the most unlikely of collaborations between longtime members of the fertile Australian rock scene. The Darling Downs crafted an almost impossible album: a record of nuanced beauty, a subtle masterpiece that unfolds like a dahlia with each successive spin, giving the listener something new and unexpected at every helping. All from two guys and one pristine guitar.

Download:

lovers lane

waste my time

in that jar

It might not be easy to find Darling Downs songs online but I Guarantee if you persist it'll be worth it

3 ) Gillian Welch from LA.

Her music defies easy categorization -- it embraces, and is in turn embraced by, the pre-eminent ambassadors of folk, bluegrass, R & B, punk, and rock and roll.

With its unconventional guitar work, dissonant tones, and forceful simplicity, Welch’s music has a similar spirit to work by other primitive post-moderns. She has said, “I feel a kinship with the Velvet Underground and the Pixies, though it might not hit you over the head.”

download:

Caleb Myer

One Monkey

Time is a revelator

Look at Miss Ohio

Katie Dear

Enjoy. shit is guaranteed gold

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

You should check out Greg Graffin's (lead singer of Bad Religion) solo album Cold as the Clay.

Very good listening and don't listen to these detractors, let them go beat off some rappers down a dark alley while listening to the groans they make while getting tugged off that they themselves can utilize down the line as the new rap lingo.

You should check out Greg Graffin's (lead singer of Bad Religion) solo album Cold as the Clay.

Very good listening and don't listen to these detractors, let them go beat off some rappers down a dark alley while listening to the groans they make while getting tugged off that they themselves can utilize down the line as the new rap lingo.

he has two albums as far as i know. but cold as clay is a damn good one.

he has two albums as far as i know. but cold as clay is a damn good one.

Yeah the other is American Lesion.

I don't think I ever saw it in a store here, but I am sure it would be class. Although I think I heard the version of Cease off of it but can't be 100% sure.

But gotta give the man props are he sure is versatile. I don't think I have ever heard many singers who can go from one extreme to another and sound great at both genres. Professor Graffin is the man

Yeah the other is American Lesion.

I don't think I ever saw it in a store here, but I am sure it would be class. Although I think I heard the version of Cease off of it but can't be 100% sure.

But gotta give the man props are he sure is versatile. I don't think I have ever heard many singers who can go from one extreme to another and sound great at both genres. Professor Graffin is the man

yeah, i had it, but it got deleted in the "great wipe of 2007".

you can find it via torrent sites.

it's good, not as good as "cold as clay" though.

also, alison krauss and robert plant have a good album out. "raising sand"