New Squid Discovered!

Pistol

I just saw this on yahoo. Thought it was pretty interesting and some of you might enjoy reading this article.

Sources: Reuters | SPACE.com | AP

Friday December 21 3:07 AM ET

Scientists Spot a New Type of Squid

By PAUL RECER, AP Science Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Moving like a ghostly figure in the inky black of the ocean deep, a new and bizarre type of squid with spidery, 20-foot-long limbs has been spotted in a series of photographs taken by scientists in submersibles.

In a study appearing Friday in the journal Science, researchers report that the unusual squid appears to live in the frigid, dark waters of the deepest part of the world's oceans.

``I call it a mystery squid,'' said Mike Vecchione, a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration researcher. ``It's unlike any other squid I've ever seen.''

Vecchione, first author of the study, said the only evidence of the squid comes from photographs and video images taken during submersible dives starting in 1988. However, he said, the findings are persuasive because they came from eight independent worldwide sightings by scientists from eight institutions in four countries.

The sightings were in the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Oceans and in the Gulf of Mexico. The deepest sighting came at 15,534 feet - almost three miles below the surface - in the western Atlantic off the coast of Brazil.

``Not only is this thing really bizarre, it seems to be fairly common in deep waters all over the world,'' said Vecchione.

Little is known about creatures living in the deep waters of the world's oceans, he said.

``This is the largest unexplored part of the Earth by far,'' said Vecchione. ``I firmly believe that there is a lot of really weird stuff down there that we don't know about.''

The photos show an animal with a relatively small head topped by large fleshy, collar-like fins. Extending from the base of the head are 10 wispy appendages sweeping out for up to 20 feet. Some of the appendages are sharply bent, as if at a joint.

Some scientists reported seeing suckers on the upper part of the limbs. Suckers are a common feature of squid. The largest animal sighted was about 21 feet long, but most of that length was in slender limbs.

``It is very distinctive with the very long skinny arms, with an elbow,'' said Vecchione. ``There are 10 appendages there, but they all seem to be pretty much the same. In most squid, two would be tentacles.''

The scientist said he could not estimate the weight or mass of the animal but observed: ``It is not like a giant squid, which has a really massive body. This is a fairly small squid with bizarre arms that stretch on forever.''

The deep-water home of the squid is a world of darkness, untouched by light from the surface. Many animals living there make their own light with luminescent chemicals in their bodies, but Vecchione said there was no evidence the squid could make light.

For food, Vecchione believes, the squid may use its long arms ``like a living spider web.''

He said the arms appear to have a sticky coating that could entrap small prey.

``I think it dangles those arms until small organisms bump into them,'' he said. ``It is like a snare.''

During one Gulf of Mexico sighting, the squid brushed against the submersible and seemed to have problems dislodging its arms from the vessel hull.

``The arms seemed to stick to it (the vessel) and it had trouble letting go,'' said Vecchione. This suggests the arms are coated with a sticky mucous, he said.

The mystery squid cannot be named until a specimen is captured and examined, but Vecchione said it appears similar to small squid he and others recently discovered in shallow waters of the eastern Pacific Ocean. Those animals have been named Magnapinnidae Pacifica. Magnapinnidae means ``big fin.''

Vecchione said the mystery squid may be the adult form of the Magnapinnidae.

Roger T. Hanlon, squid researcher at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Mass., said he was ``quite impressed'' by the discovery.

``It is almost certainly a new family of squids which would be much more significant than a new species,'' said Hanlon. ``It is a wonderfully humbling reminder of how little we know about some aspects of this planet.''

He said the feeding system suggested by Vecchione for the mystery squid ``is quite plausible'' and would be unique among Cephalopods, a group that includes about 1,000 species of squid, octopus and similar animals.

-

On the Net:

NOAA undersea research: http://www.nurp.noaa.gov

Images: http://www.eurekalert.org/sci-pub/vecchion...e-12-21-01.html

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20011220/imdf20122001233125a.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest chicken bone

imagine that thing being 20 feet or larger!! ahh shit i would seriously bug out and have a heart attack if that swam underneath me!

sometimes when i get the chance to look at the ocean or whatever i think how rad it would be for like a huge sea monster to float to the surface and just watch huge ripples of waves ring out and then it sort of like screams and lets loose a tentacle and floats quietly back underwater.

Guest dukeofyork
Originally posted by Kr430n5_666

thats fucking awesome. there is some very weird shit far far far down under water. ive seen videos of very strange organisms that glow and others have almost transparent bodies. i love hearing about new breeds. thanks for this article.

surprise surprise....

he he..

That's hella sweet. Squid and Octupuseseses are weird and cool creatures. There's so much stuff in the ocean that we don't know about. I bet there's something way at the bottom, right in the mmiddle that we won't discover until it comes up and starts shooting lazers at the city. Or something to that effect

AAAAAARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!:mad:

• 20 years later...
On 12/22/2001 at 3:28 PM, bigpoppa.k said:

i saw this on discovery channel news yesterday. pretty fresh if you ask me. apparently these things have no problem being around submersables and having their pictures taken. they rather enjoy the company down there...

they showed some new video they got on too.. thing is fresh looking..

2001 was so awesome, you could just read some shit about insane squids posted to 12ozprophet dot com as you crushed a sprite at your desk and posted about how fresh it was that there were new crazy squids out there. simpler times 

• Truth 2