long trip ---- advice?

ubejinxed

Back to the original topic. How much is this all going to cost you? I'm planning on going over seas soon as well and was just trying to get a figure of how much money I'd still have in the bank after airfares and the like set up. Dont forget to take hella pictures and make one monster thread once you get back too.

this trip is going to kill my budget and it's totally fiscally irresponsible, and kills my savings but i didn't travel after my undergrad and went straight to work and never went anywhere. so i figure i have to get it in while i can before the routine of working life holds me back.

the ticket alone is $4200 already bought, was about $300 more than i expected.... but i figure staying with people and traveling with someone will help hold land costs down. but yeah i figure i need about another $5000 for everything. i hope i will not spend it, but i need to have it and friends who are willing to wire/loan me money if i need it.

and for photos? yeah i need to take a shit ton, but i lost my camera in paris 2 weeks ago...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indonesia is cool, Jakarta is a super large dirty city with all sorts of traffic and pollution. It's fun if you know people but could be very overwhelming for a first time visitor. I would recomend staying in South Jakarta, Kemang area its pretty fun and friendly for visitors. If your into buildings......check out Dutch colonial buildings, in old Batavia in north Jakarta.

You trying to paint, skate or surf out there?

Bali, is really nice. Don't stay in Kuta the whole time if you can. Get out and see the rest of the island and what it has to offer. If you have the time head to Lombok (the next island over) by ferry for less tourists and better beaches. Let me know if you want any specific details?

as for israel i have friends there who live in jerusalem and they live their life normally every day.. even after the last bombing.. i talk to them on MSN daily..

and when i was there last i felt more safe there than here. and i even went over to the West Bank in Palestine. no problems. sad to see how it is but i was never threatened.

co-signed and I lived in Jerusalem during the hight of the intifada.

Indonesia is cool, Jakarta is a super large dirty city with all sorts of traffic and pollution. It's fun if you know people but could be very overwhelming for a first time visitor. I would recomend staying in South Jakarta, Kemang area its pretty fun and friendly for visitors. If your into buildings......check out Dutch colonial buildings, in old Batavia in north Jakarta.

You trying to paint, skate or surf out there?

Bali, is really nice. Don't stay in Kuta the whole time if you can. Get out and see the rest of the island and what it has to offer. If you have the time head to Lombok (the next island over) by ferry for less tourists and better beaches. Let me know if you want any specific details?

yeah we're flying into jakarta but thinking of heading over to bali after that and do the romantico thing. where are the best sights, temples, tourist things to check out? is it worth staying in jakarta for a day or two or just head out?

what is the best way to get to other islands? bus, then boat? flight? have a recommendation?

indeed. i will definitely try to make it over there. 30min hover sounds rad.. how much is it?

and taking a plane to Chaing mai might be doable, i looked into flights within thailand and they're pretty cheap running about $35 USD roundtrip. we will just have to figure out logistics.

how is the south of thailand? there is a cheap flight that goes down to phuket, is it worth it?

quote]

hovercrafts tickets are around 20-$30 depending on what class.

get a round trip it will be cheaper. there are a few different carriers to choose from

if you want to price around. the price is based on speed . go for the 30-45 min one.

heres some pics i googled of macau

phuket is nice but you could avoid it and just go to an island close to bangkok with the same experience, less tourists, less perves. if a beach bar scene is what you want then make the trip. i went to ko samet and had the whole beach to myself which i enjoyed more. dont go any where near the southern tip near malay border, muslims hackin heads off and bombing all the time.

awesome info, thank you so much..

macau is now written into the itinerary..

still trying to figure out the beach portion of the trip in thailand, maybe indonesia will satisfy that requirement...

know anything about booking the internal flights in advance vs booking there? i would rather be flexible but don't want to risk a price increase. any idea?

i was always a plan ahead type of person but that will cost you.

i'd suggest getting your thai visa in vietnam. or vice versa depending on where you are going first

youll save $50-100

never make prearranged flights

youll be forced to cut certain things short or rush things. you have plenty of time do it a day or so ahead of time.

have the hotel or hostel people help you, they will be able to get things cheaper for

you. if there are only a few flights such as one morning and one evening. always go with evening.

if only a few people show for the am flight theyll just end up cancelling the am and cramming everyone

into the pm flight to save money. you wont save any money by booking it internationally.

i used to book my flights out of japan from america because they price gouge in japan.

i got the tickets sent to a family member and had them sent to me. technically illegal but cheaper.

make friends with the porters. they arent all scumbags. i met a guy in cambodia that lost his whole

family and basically used his money to take english classes in order to get into a school in america

the better the english the better the guide. if you do go to macau get a driver. i paid around $25 which was probably expensive. it will save you the headaches of taking buses and finding the sights.

the chinese tend say yes yes yes yes to every question.

does this bus go to such and such?

yes yes yes

are there free lap dances on this bus ride ?

yes yes yes

well good i must be on the right bus then.

never pay more than $5 per person in hk, macau, or thailand for a hotel. ( the same could go for indo and phill but ive never been there) just ask the porter and expect him to take you to the place

he gets side income off of first.

hey ube!

sorry if i missed this part,

but who are you goin to

jakarta w?

I only saw a fraction of the city

but it was pretty cool.

not so great for woman travelling

by themselves however.

dress super modestly.

I've heard Bali was awesome,

if you're thinkin about

anywhere else the

islands of Sanghir and

Sulawesi have super friendly people.

The Togeans are beautiful and

have priceless beaches,

kinda a pain to get to tho.

its true. Anyone in most of asia will tell you 'yes' to anything you ask. This was 100% true in the philippines. You could have asked anything and they would tell you yes. You gotta triangulate (x100) to find the real answer. I dont know about trusting porters. they get kickbacks from places they refer you to which might not be the cheapest/best. Ive had the most trouble with cab drivers. like was said; make sure the meter is on. Unless you are VERY familiar with local rates never accept the flat rate cause its always a rip.

also if you need to ask where a restroom is in the philippines its: 'sa-an ang CR?'. hah CR= comfort room. If you ask for a 'rest room' they will just look at you like youre crazy and say 'yes' hah.

also people had a tendancy to call me 'hey tatoo'! or 'hey joe' (joe = american= white people) dont be offended. its meant in a friendly way. The philippines is one of the few places they love you americans.

its true. Anyone in most of asia will tell you 'yes' to anything you ask. This was 100% true in the philippines. You could have asked anything and they would tell you yes. You gotta triangulate (x100) to find the real answer. I dont know about trusting porters. they get kickbacks from places they refer you to which might not be the cheapest/best. Ive had the most trouble with cab drivers. like was said; make sure the meter is on. Unless you are VERY familiar with local rates never accept the flat rate cause its always a rip.

also if you need to ask where a restroom is in the philippines its: 'sa-an ang CR?'. hah CR= comfort room. If you ask for a 'rest room' they will just look at you like youre crazy and say 'yes' hah.

also people had a tendancy to call me 'hey tatoo'! or 'hey joe' (joe = american= white people) dont be offended. its meant in a friendly way. The philippines is one of the few places they love you americans.

Since you only have a week to spend in Indonesia I wouldn't recommend staying in Jakarta. It is a great city but you would really need more time to experience both Jakarta and Bali/Lombok. Also Jakarta isn't too romantic....you would probably end up spending the majority of your time in traffic there. But if your trying to paint, stay in Jakarta for a bit.

You can fly one of the domestic airlines to Bali for fairly cheap. I'm sure your budget is pretty stretched with so many destinations, so what kind of accommodations are you looking for? Are you just looking for just an air conditioned room? Or something more luxuries? For budget accommodation I would recommend Masa Inn on Jalan Poppies Lane #2 (in Legian/Kuta area), but there are plenty of budget hotels around the area. Like I said before....take trips out side of Kuta because it ends up being kind of a tourist trap at times. Check out Ubud (monkey forests, local artists), local dances/temples, Jimbaran Bay (great fresh seafood diners on the beach), Dream Land beach to name a few. Its worth renting a little motor bike or car for a little freedom to get around so you don't always have to take taxi or walk. You might want to look into getting and International license since your going to so many places to keep things legal. But you can get by renting the bikes with false info. so its no big deal. Just be prepared to pay a little when/if cops stop you for a license check.

As for Lombok, you can take the ferry over (about 4-5 hours) or fly (30min) from Bali. Either way is pretty easy but the ferry is going to be pretty ghetto, but a good experience for sure. Check out Kuta (shares the same name as the area in Bali) or Gili islands (might require another boat ride). I haven't been to Lombok since I was real young so I can't speak on it too much, but it is a less crowded with tourists than Bali.

Also, you can purchase VISA on arrival for US$20 or $25, that makes it very easy and when you leave the country you have to pay a minimal exit tax. Look into this stuff online to get the specifics.

how is the south of thailand? there is a cheap flight that goes down to phuket, is it worth it?

I personally think that Phuket and Koh Phi Phi are the most touristy places in Southern Thailand, the only difference being that Koh Phi Phi is fucking breathtakingly beautiful (place where "The Beach" was filmed). If you're looking for places in the south, I'd say hit up Koh Tao for some awesome scuba diving, Koh Phangan for the full moon party (yes, i realize the irony here if I call Phuket touristy), and maybe Railay for a good place to just chill, rock climb and generally just veg out.

Mind you, I'd rather backpack and stay in a dumpy little bungalow on the beach than lug around a wheel-suitcase and stay in hotels, so take my advice with a grain of salt if that doesn't sound like your idea of a vacation.

Cambodia and Vietnam are also very fucking top-notch in my books, but it eats up a lot of travel time.. not really feasible at just a couple of days for each country.

Yes there is you dumb peice of shit! Just cause it's not as torn up as Iraq don't mean there's not bombs blowing the fuck up left and right. Every week that shit's on the news some Palistinian blows up a marketplace and Isreal retaliates by aniahlating neighborhoods.

Get your head out your ass you dumb fuck! Watch the news some time.

And as far as anything I say being blahblah... pussy everything I say is the truth. And not all of it is negative you dumb shit.

Nigga you're a teenage little carrot top from Florida. Of coarse you aint some globetrotting yuppie. That's why I told you to stop frontin. Go do your algebra homework.

spitfire.jpg

Yo,

TEL AVIV --- While the U.S. homicide rate declined slightly in 2004, it was more than 25 percent higher than Israel's combined rate of deaths from crime, suicide bombings and intifada-related military casualties.

http://www.mideastweb.org/log/archives/00000396.htm

huh?

classless? I assume youre being sarcastic.

Its so highly classed there it may as well be a caste system. there are whole sections of manila you cant even walk through without some serious clearance like Dasmarinas. its where all the wealthy people live and once inside that area youd never even know you were in Manila. It feels like Beverly Hills. They just happen to love americans because they hate the japanese so much (they also dislike koreans and chinese). annnyhow...

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to bump this thread because I'll be traveling to Greece and Turkey in a few weeks and will be spending quite a bit of time in Istanbul especially. I'll obviously be checking out some of the more typical tourist-y stuff, but does anyone have any other recommendations on stuff I should see/do/eat? Any stories are appreciated.

In Turkey go to Olympos in the south.

it's just one road leading down to a beach and sleep in the treehouses.

stay with merril the chick there she made me and my friends super welcome (since she owned the guesthouse I guess it was her job)

get up eat a Gozleme for breakfast

hit the beach sit in the water and pile rocks into your lap so you don't float.

stick out your feet and relax.

Also if you can go from Fethiye (I think ) to Oludinez it's just such a beautiful beach.

probabaly overrun with Aussies.