Certifications (A+,MCSE,ETC)

GucciCondom

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i took college classes to get my ccna but ended up dropping out to be a loser. got my a+ in high school, but never did anything with it. ive heard the ccna test is a lot more involved than it used to be, there is much more hands on activity required to pass the test. that ceh cert sounds pretty rad, somethin i might have to look into. when i was younger the l0pht dudes were my heroes.

my older bro has a few bachelors and certs up the arse and makes a 6 figure salary. kinda makes me wish i stuck with school. now i drive truck for a company involved in the restaurant industry and make ~46/yr. gitcha learn on.

From what I know, A+ is supposed to be the equivalent of what you would know after working in the field for 6 months. So if you have no experience and are unable to get any, A+ may be valuable. If you can get a foot in the door of an IT department you would be better off though and if you think about it - you would be being paid to learn.

Well this lady basically said holler with my A+ and I got a job cus she always is looking for people.

So I think I plan on that, then just over the next few years instead of wasting my time I'm going to immerse myself in this shit and get all the certificates and hopefully by the time I'm like 25-ish I'll be on that 80-100k steez.

I just had to work out my plan cus I got real bad anxiety and I would be fucking bugging without knowing what I'm going to do.

whatever it is you decide you want to go for ultimately, make sure you like it. that is the most important thing ever. make sure you like the field you want to end up in.

we can re-vitalize the computer help thread and teach you some shit if you want.

something else i'd suggest, build a computer if you've never done it before.

you will learn a ton building something from the bottom up.

Yeah I definitely want to get back into computers.

For a while it was Web and Graphic design that interested me, but then I realized HTML is fucking annoying and I'm not even going to make that much, so my associates is pretty much useless to me.

I took a networking class but at the time I was 17 years old and only did enough to get a D in the class because I figured most of it wasn't worth knowing for web design.

But I'm interested in this shit now because I realize after the beginning it starts to get a lot more interesting plus I can be making tons of money at an early age if I devote myself. And I really need something else to do to keep me away from bad influences and reassure my anxious-self that I will indeed be able to afford to live in the future. Bonus: leet hax.

So you're interested in computers, right?

Then go for it. A+ should be a breeze, as it's computer basics. If you've fucked with them for a couple years, you should have that shit sewn up. Net+ shouldn't be too difficult either, there's actually books out there that may have virtual lab software, which can be a big help. The OSI model can be a bitch, though.

But there are a lot of people who go for the certifications with hopes of finding a higher-paying job, but know fuck all about working with computers or about troubleshooting from a third-person perspective (ie help desk). It's respectable, as people want to better themselves. But burying your head in books and taking classes isn't going to make it happen.

It's the experience and passion even that get the job.

I've been fucking about with what I've wanted to do for awhile now, and I've been tooling around in computers and fucking with home networks for a decade easy, but I've never had a job in the field, which I'm regretful of because I've had all this time to get my feet wet. Some employers will will regard self-teaching as experience, though (which I've heard first-person).

I have a good friend who was just promoted to a Systems Admin recently, pulling in close to 70k. That's decent peanuts. All he has is his A+, but he has experience and the understanding, which got him the job. He started out as a temp, but was brought on full-time because of his knowledge. Within a year or so atleast after that happening he got bumped up to Network Admin.

I'm also going to school right now for a degree in network administration, and most of the classes set me up for the certifications. I figure having those certifications on top of what I've learned over the years through my personal experience should give me the edge to land a good job and sustainable cheddy.

For anyone looking here is some shit that I found to help you brush up on anything you might not know off the top for the A+....tons of shit out there for each certificate though..I'm psyched on this shit I'm going to go at this shit hard after I get everything in order and learn like a motherfucker, I want like 20 certs and shit in a couple years

All in one CompTIA A+ Certification Exam Guide - 6th Edition DVD

http://www.torrentreactor.net/torrents/1113026/All-in-one-CompTIA-A%2B-Certification-Exam-Guide-6th-Edition-DVD

LearnKey A+ Training, 11 CD, 36 Hours of training

http://keznews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12854

Well I mean, that depends on you.

I'm 20 and have had a PC since I was 10 years old. So I've upgraded them and took them apart and all sorts of shit over the years.

You kind of need to know how to personally go in and do the shit, but the dvd can definitely help a lot especially with vocabulary and definitions of shit.

I'm pretty much solid but I need to brush up on the laptop section and the networking section a little bit.

For anything after this test you're going to want to have extra PC's in your house so you can setup networks and try out a bunch of different shit. I'm lucky to have 3 PC's and 2 laptops in my home.