12oz Cooking Resources Thread

Hayabusa

I have recently been using youtube to help me get my cook on. Its much easier than reading and trying to figure things out from books. Anyways, I have collected a bunch of things that i found helpful (and have tried all of them) and I will share.

If you guys find any good links for cooking and recipes put em up (preferably accompanied by a video)

Heres some i got...

Crispy Salmon w/ Crushed Potatoes and Crab Meat

white_wine_and_salmon.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ff_HC0SR4

(this was great...quickest way I've ever had salmon....)

Poached Eggs

Poach1.jpg

Poached Eggs - How To Poach Eggs

The best eggs for poaching are the freshest eggs you can find. If eggs are more than a week old, the whites thin out. Whites of fresh eggs will gather compactly around the yolk, making a rounder, neater shape. Use cold eggs right out of the water tap.

Use room temperature eggs for the best results

Use a pan that is at least 3 inches deep so there is enough water to cover the eggs and they do not stick to the bottom of the pan. To prevent sticking, grease the pan with a little oil before filling with water.

HINTS:

Bring the poaching liquid to a boil and then reduce to a simmer before adding the eggs (bubbles should not break the surface). The water should not be any more vigorous than small bubbles forming on the bottom of the pan with the occasional tiny bubble bursting at the top. A stronger boil than that produces too much movement in the pot and throws the egg whites around. The barely simmering water encourages the egg to sit there quietly, without flapping around and losing shape.

Check out my article on Poaching vs. Simmering vs. Boiling.

When you poach eggs, try adding a little vinegar and salt to the water. Vinegar helps the egg to hold its shape by causing the outer layer of the egg white to congeal faster. Without it, the eggs will become skeins of protein tangling up in the water.

(1) Break each egg onto a saucer or into small cups or bowls.

(2) Slip eggs carefully into slowly simmering water by lowering the lip of each egg cup 1/2-inch below the surface of the water. Let the eggs flow out. Don't put too many in the pot at one time. Immediately cover with a lid and turn off the heat.

HINTS:

Try creating a gentle whirlpool in the simmering water and slip your egg into the middle of that. This tends to keep the white from dissipating.

Don't disturb the egg once you have put it in the water!

(3) Set a timer for exactly 3 minutes for medium-firm yolks. Adjust the time up or down for runnier or firmer yolks. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, depending on firmness desired.

(4) Remove from water with slotted spoon. Lift each perfectly poached egg from the water with a slotted spoon, but hold it over the skillet briefly to let any water clinging to the egg drain off. Drain well before serving.

Beef Wellington

23032336.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHQNV_5wozg

Serves 2

Ingredients

* 400g Beef fillet

* 400g Flat mushrooms

* 4 slices Parma ham

* English mustard for brushing meat

* 200g puff pastry

* 2 Egg yolks

* Approx 8 Charlotte/New potatoes

* 1 Clove garlic, crushed

* 1 Sprig thyme

* 2 large baby gem lettuce

* Salt and pepper

* Olive oil

* Mustard vinaigrette, optional

1. Pre-heat the oven to 200c.

2. Heat some oil in a large pan and quickly fry the seasoned beef all over until it's brown. Remove and allow to cool. The point of this is simply to sear the beef and seal all those juices in, you don't want to cook the meat at this stage. Allow to cool and brush generously with the mustard.

3. Roughly chop the mushrooms and blend in a food processor to form a puree. Scrape the mixture into a hot, dry pan and allow the water to evaporate. When sufficiently dry (the mixture should be sticking together easily), set aside and cool.

4. Roll out a generous length of cling film, lay out the four slices of Parma ham, each one slightly overlapping the last. With a pallet knife spread the mushroom mixture evenly over the ham.

5. Place the beef fillet in the middle and keeping a tight hold of the cling film from the outside edge, neatly roll the parma ham and mushrooms over the beef into a tight barrel shape. Twist the ends to secure the clingfilm. Refrigerate for 10 -15 minutes, this allows the Wellington to set and helps keep the shape.

6. Roll out the pastry quite thinly to a size which will cover your beef. Unwrap the meat from the cling film. Egg wash the edge of the pastry and place the beef in the middle. Roll up the pastry, cut any excess off the ends and fold neatly to the 'underside'. Turnover and egg wash over the top. Chill again to let the pastry cool, approximately 5 minutes. Egg wash again before baking at 200c for 35 - 40 minutes. Rest 8 -10 minutes before slicing.

7. Par boil the potatoes in salted water. Quarter them and leave the skin on. Sauté in olive oil and butter with the garlic and thyme, until browned and cooked through. Season. Remove the thyme and garlic before serving.

8. Separate the outside leaves of the baby gem (leaving the smaller inner ones for salads) and very quickly sauté them in a pan of olive oil with a little salt and pepper - just enough to wilt them.

9. Serve hearty slices of the Wellington alongside the sautéed potatoes and wilted baby gems. A classic mustard vinaigrette makes a great dressing.

Copyright © Gordon Ramsay

If you have stuff to add, please try and include a video along with it

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Chocolate Mousse

Chocolate%20Mousse.jpg

Ingredients

* 100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)

* 300ml double cream

* 2 tbsp Amaretto or other liqueur (optional)

* 1 large egg white

* 50g caster sugar

* handful of amaretti biscuits, to garnish

* white or dark chocolate shavings, to garnish

1. Break the chocolate into small pieces and set aside. In a small saucepan, heat half of the cream until it begins to boil. Turn off the heat, add the chocolate pieces and stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.

2. Pour the mixture into a bowl set over a large bowl of iced water and add the rest of the cream and Amaretto, if using. Using a handheld electric whisk, beat the mixture to soft peaks. Remove the bowl from the iced water.

3. Meanwhile, whisk the egg white with a handheld electric beater until stiff peak. Add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and continue whisking to a soft meringue. Carefully fold the meringue through the chocolate mixture, then spoon or pipe into chilled serving glasses.

4. Place the amaretti into a bowl and lightly crush with the tip of a rolling pin. Sprinkle over the chocolate mousse and garnish with chocolate shavings, if you like. Serve immediately or chill for up to two days.

Yorkshire Pudding

img_yorkshire_small.jpg

Full On Meal

Scallops and Something else as starter dish

Steak, Salad and Potatoes

Chocolate Mousse Dessert

6 parts

part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUnaby02YPc

part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ig2zxldgc

part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owZ3B4TkB14

part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owZ3B4TkB14

part 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10HZBigJMXw

part 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv8s3j9Be1E

part 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvl_OSo432g

There is a recipe exchange thread.

yeah i guess

but i like videos

and pictures

i always found simple written recipes too complicated to get through soemtimes

having it shown is nice, plus this way, people don't need to bust their ass looking for things, as I have had many of these bookmarked......:huh:

CHEESE GRITS

----------------

2 cups whole milk

2 cups water

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 cup coarse ground cornmeal

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

4 ounces sharp Cheddar, shredded

Place the milk, water, and salt into a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Once the milk mixture comes to a boil, gradually add the cornmeal while continually whisking. Once all of the cornmeal has been incorporated, decrease the heat to low and cover. Remove lid and whisk frequently, every 3 to 4 minutes, to prevent grits from sticking or forming lumps; make sure to get into corners of pot when whisking. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture is creamy.

Remove from the heat, add the pepper and butter, and whisk to combine. Once the butter is melted, gradually whisk in the cheese a little at a time. Serve immediately.