Recycling cans

AllTheWrongWords

A thought that occured to me while killing off scraps and fishing out the empties.

Has anyone ever tried to recycle their empties? Not sure what type of metal the cans are. Of course theyre probably different according to companies.

They might be worth something (in bulk). Might be worth shit. Wont hurt to try.

Monday, Ill give a call to rustoleum and krylon to see if they have any knowledge on this.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

^^yea I figured the cost per pound wouldn't be a gold mine.

So I talked to krylon and they didn't wanna say shit except that its not recyclable. Doubt that.

Rustoleum says their cans are made of steel and they are recyclable. Also, that there's no need to smash the cans yourself. Most facilities have means to do so.

For those interested. I suggest talking to your local scrap yard to see what they have to say.

I called the local office of the DEP (Dept. of Environmental Protection) looking to see if I can bring them anywhere. They said to just toss them away. I guess each area has it's own recycling system and they all can't accept everything. Sucks too cuz I recycle like a MOFO and would rather they weren't in a landfill rusting away for eternity.

• 1 year later...

talk to your local scrap yard, you definetly wont even get 1/4 of what you payed for the cans, i personally dont think its worth it i use them as canvasses, i do pieces on them with paint markers and im getting into other art forms besides graffiti so when they get rusty ill make a sculpture or something of that nature

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah steel isn't that big anymore. But im from AZ too and some metals go around here for a good price. aluminum is in a good price right now. so theres a lot of people collecting soda cans and shit.

Edit:: Also. i've heard of people re-using the can's thats sorta recycling them. my friend told me how. Take the ink or paint you prefer. inject into the can with a syringe. Make sure all the compressed air is out when doing this. the inject your oil if the ink or paint didnt include any. then buy those small compressed air capsules and just press it onto the valve to inject it into the can. and wahlah. ive seen him use a used axe can with this.

I called the local office of the DEP (Dept. of Environmental Protection) looking to see if I can bring them anywhere. They said to just toss them away. I guess each area has it's own recycling system and they all can't accept everything. Sucks too cuz I recycle like a MOFO and would rather they weren't in a landfill rusting away for eternity.

Just a heads up because yu seem earth friendly. theres nothing wrong with "rusting away for eternity" its oxidation, and natural, its the plastics that sit forever and melt and give off chemicals thats bad for us all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

wow. all i have to say after reading this thread is...apparently the new breed of writer is an econut too.

i dump my cans in a ditch, a trash can, the ocean. wherever. i dont recycle and im not about to hold on to abuncha empty cans of paint so that after i finish and am walking home, they rattle around and bring me a whole lotta attention.

just my 2 cents

• Like 1