Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AllTheWrongWords

Recycling cans

A thought that occured to me while killing off scraps and fishing out the empties.

Has anyone ever tried to recycle their empties? Not sure what type of metal the cans are. Of course theyre probably different according to companies.

They might be worth something (in bulk). Might be worth shit. Wont hurt to try.

Monday, Ill give a call to rustoleum and krylon to see if they have any knowledge on this.

i toss them in the recycling thing thats on my porch and my neighbors take it out every other thursday... never thought about trying to prophet from it.

damn, looking forward to hearing details about this

i toss them in the recycling thing thats on my porch and my neighbors take it out every other thursday... never thought about trying to prophet from it.

damn, looking forward to hearing details about this

Not to be a dick...

profit*

Not to be a dick...

profit*[/color]

If not, It's 12ozProfit. Hey, that's not bad.

Seriously, where's our social responsibility? Dozens of cans left around every good paintin' site ain't lookin' too good.

Not to be a dick...

profit*[/color]

damn... I'm usually good about spelling on here. oh well

you have to pop the seal on the valve so there is no pressure left in them, then take them down, its mad cheap though, something like 45 cents a pound, my friend is crazy environmental, and he does it. I give him my empties.

^^yea I figured the cost per pound wouldn't be a gold mine.

So I talked to krylon and they didn't wanna say shit except that its not recyclable. Doubt that.

Rustoleum says their cans are made of steel and they are recyclable. Also, that there's no need to smash the cans yourself. Most facilities have means to do so.

For those interested. I suggest talking to your local scrap yard to see what they have to say.

I called the local office of the DEP (Dept. of Environmental Protection) looking to see if I can bring them anywhere. They said to just toss them away. I guess each area has it's own recycling system and they all can't accept everything. Sucks too cuz I recycle like a MOFO and would rather they weren't in a landfill rusting away for eternity.

talk to your local scrap yard, you definetly wont even get 1/4 of what you payed for the cans, i personally dont think its worth it i use them as canvasses, i do pieces on them with paint markers and im getting into other art forms besides graffiti so when they get rusty ill make a sculpture or something of that nature

in AZ i get 30 cents a can its worth it out here cause like 20 cans you got urself a new can lol

they took em from me, twice,

then they said they wouldn't take anymore.

so i dunno, contact your local center and give yourself a pat on the back for caring

if the cans are steel, its a HUGE waist of time. last steel i took to the yard, was 7 cents per 100 pounds.

cat converters and bright copper still bring some $$$$$ but not like they were a few years ago

Yeah steel isn't that big anymore. But im from AZ too and some metals go around here for a good price. aluminum is in a good price right now. so theres a lot of people collecting soda cans and shit.

Edit:: Also. i've heard of people re-using the can's thats sorta recycling them. my friend told me how. Take the ink or paint you prefer. inject into the can with a syringe. Make sure all the compressed air is out when doing this. the inject your oil if the ink or paint didnt include any. then buy those small compressed air capsules and just press it onto the valve to inject it into the can. and wahlah. ive seen him use a used axe can with this.

I called the local office of the DEP (Dept. of Environmental Protection) looking to see if I can bring them anywhere. They said to just toss them away. I guess each area has it's own recycling system and they all can't accept everything. Sucks too cuz I recycle like a MOFO and would rather they weren't in a landfill rusting away for eternity.

Just a heads up because yu seem earth friendly. theres nothing wrong with "rusting away for eternity" its oxidation, and natural, its the plastics that sit forever and melt and give off chemicals thats bad for us all.

i think they're aluminum. if you go at the tops and bottoms with a can opener you can break them down to just the cylinder. from there, i don't know, you can crush them flat and they might be worth something... seems like a lot of effort though.

WELLL mtn cans, if im not mistaken (hardcores im sure about) are made of aluminum, because they have the little recycling symbol on the back, so there you guooo. and im pretty sure ironlaks are aluminum or something, i can crush an empty one with my hand

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now