Shepard swindles from VICE

mental invalid

http://vice.typepad.com/vice_magazine/2008/02/new-york---swin.html

Man, we are really digging the back cover of the new Swindle. Of course, we liked it a little bit better when we ran it in our Photo Issue three years ago and then re-printed it as the last page in our Photo Book, but a good picture's a good picture, nawwa'eresayin? We thought it might be an honest mistake—after all, Shepard Fairey probably has a pretty difficult time keeping his ear to the ground between all the album artwork and celebrity guitars and culture-jamming Bush out of the White House—but an anonymous insider told us, "The whole office was against using that picture, but Shepard insisted on it. It was a huge scandal. Everyone was emailing him about how old it was, and he just wouldn't back down. Originally he wanted to put it on the front cover. Thankfully, we managed to talk him out of that, but this is still super embarrassing." Oops.

ahahaha....couldnt help it. been too long away from here.

MI

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there ya go!

dear soup thanks for posting and continuing this thread.

Dear mental invalid,

Is that, pride, I'm sensing? As in the longer version of that post is: "Thanks soup, for continuing my thread, Because posting this thread is the only productive thing I've done all week and (god forbid) if someone makes fun of this thread I might just take it to heart because (like I said) I'm not doing anything else with my life?"

Go get yourself some bread with those tears. You can make yourself an emo sandwich... and then you did TWO productive things this week!

And or the rec', succeed, fail, I wouldnt know (or care) if and when either magazines' ceased to exist. Two magazines arguing over who published that photo first is retarded. It's a drunk kid being dragged around by two cops after he groped a couple girls. The significance of that photo came and went the minute the photographer looked at her camera monitor, and had she known two of the gayest magazines to date would argue over who should recieve credit for publishing it first she probably would've just pressed delete.

http://www.art-for-a-change.com/Obey/index.htm

its a well written article documenting shepard fairey's obsession with biting.

I'll be honest that I didn't read the article.

But the premise looks retarded.

I don't think that he's "biting" historically poignant images then slightly altering them to pass them off as his own.

By using those images and then changing them he's asking the viewer to recollect the context of past work and analyze how the message is changed/magnified/ridiculed through alterations.

It looks like they are trying to say, LOOK AT THIS JAPANESE PROPAGANDA POSTER FROM THE 50's, ALL HE DID IS ADD FLOWERS, WHAT A BITER.

And that's retarded.

Yea man, that site is total faggotry.

obey_black_panther.jpg

[ Left: Black Panther - Pirkle Jones. Photograph. 1968. Portrait of an anonymous Panther at a political rally in Oakland, California. The Panther photos of Ruth-Marion Baruch and Pirkle Jones are internationally famous and have long been available in book form. Right: Fairey’s street poster, which neither credits Pirkle Jones nor makes any mention of the Black Panther Party.]

WOW WHAT A PLAGIARIZING BITING ASSHOLE FOR NOT HAVING PROPER CITATIONS ON A WHEATPASTE.

you know what sucks, i watched the whole Andre has a posse shit grow up. the first stickers were placed in all the skateshops i shopped at in providence. i still have one of the first pressings in my house. i liked watching it grow from what it was, and into what it started to become in the mid to late 90's. i got a free pair of "obey" slipmats last year, and have been using them because i'm too cheap to by new ones. so the other night a friend was over and said "dude, you know that guy is a fucking joke, right?" it's too bad because it was all pretty cool in the beginning. now it's just become an embarrassment i guess. i've heard more gossip through the grapevine, more complaints, more hating, and more annoying interviews with him than i can take anymore. i don't really care that he ripped off vice magazine, fuck them too, i'm just kind of disappointed that i actually gave a shit about the whole andre thing at one time.

i got about halfway through that article and realized that although i don't care for what fairey does at all, the author of the article clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. the examples he provides further that fact.

way to make yourself look like a douchebag.

Yea, that guy deserves to be backhanded.

What a retarded crock of shit that whole article is :lol: