Stay High 149

Joker

I have been asked to post this story here by Graffiti.org

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.stayhigh149.com/

real deal

http://www.luisart.org

likely name jumper

Bio and TATs have asked me to publish this letter publicly. You can refer to it here if you need to:

http://www.graffiti.org/bench/2008/02/stayhigh149-controversy.html

Luis has also been denounced somewhat publicly by MICO, who was on the scene at the time.

-----

Regarding the StayHigh 149 wars

First, I would like to point out that I usually would not involve myself in internet gossip but this has become a real problem. I have too much respect for the graffiti culture and admiration for the old school to allow this to continue. I have just recently learned that you are using my name as well as Per in supporting your claim to be StayHigh149. I will not speak for Per I can only speak for myself.

I cannot say who wrote what first because I was not there. I have been writing for 30 years so I cannot comment on what happened in the 70s. I can only go by what I learn from the old school writers who were there. I know that when we first met you told us you were StayHigh149 and we were like "no way." We even asked you if you were the guy who painted the stick figure smoking a joint and you said yes.

We had no reason to doubt you back then we weren't around in the early days to know and StayHigh had not been heard from in years we took your word for it. I have to say maybe you did write StayHigh149 first (your claim) but you are definitely not the one that people are referring to or the one responsible for all the photos we have seen published throughout the years. What I'm saying is that whether you were first or not you are not the guy who made the name famous.

No one would even be talking about any of this if it were not for the efforts of StayHigh149, Voice of the Ghetto. The man who brought us the smoking stickman. I don't have anything against you personally, you were a cool person but I cannot support you in this matter.

I now know the truth and have since met the original StayHigh149. I look back and realize that we were fooled -- the signs were always there but we just ignored them. I remember Seen UA bringing you some photos of some StayHigh pieces on trains and you said you didn't remember doing them. I found that strange but let it slide. I also noticed that the tag and stick figure you use to tag looked a little shaky but I dismissed it thinking you might be rusty. I also remember speaking to Phase 2 and he told us that the original StayHigh was black.

I remember we were starting to doubt that you where StayHigh then you went and got a StayHigh tattoo and I remember thinking damn I doubt anyone would go to those lengths if he wasn't the real person. I remember going to a Hugo Martinez gallery show with you and all the old school writers saying that the original StayHigh149 was a black guy. At this time I realize that we had been fooled.

I don't think we made a big deal of it at the time because we had become cool with you. I'm sorry that I have to speak about this publicly but you have made it a public matter. I am not attacking you but I cannot allow my name to be used in an effort to change history when I know that you are not the StayHigh who made graffiti history. Bg183 who also painted with you feels the same way. I have nothing to gain by discrediting you but I will not let history be distorted. I'm sorry but credit goes to where credit is due. I wish you much success in your other artistic ventures.

Bio Tats Cru

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I remember seeing one of those pretty "stay high" pieces published in some zine back in the early mid 90s. having done my research,racking the faith of graffiti out of my local library,i was even a little suspect then. (i think i remember seeing a "stay high....on life" or something.in that zine) I remember thinking to myself that it was some sort or tribute to the real deal. some tribute.....this guys art sucks too. walking around claiming to be a writing legend. someone should knock this guy out cold and take his shoes. and he should move back to PR.

• 4 weeks later...

So let me get this right a dude that used to hang with Tats claimed he was Stay High? And it turned out he really wasn't ...I was flipping through an old source magazine the other day and they supposedly talked to him back in 2001...I'm scanning it right now, I'll post it in a sec... Somebody let me know if this is the real deal Stay High or the fake one.

It was common knowledge in the 80's that Stay High was a black dude. In the last few years photos of the original Stay High tagging peoples black books at gallery shows have appeared on the internet. So I'm a confused to why the imposter is having his card pulled now in 2008 This is definitely a strange story.

• 1 year later...
What would bring someone to this level of stupidity?

Money(People looking at your shitty art, that wouldn't before), Fame, Respect... it just extra grimy 'cause i doubt the real stay high is rollin in the 600 benz (I hope im wrong) But hes an old school legend, like running around with art fags and saying you went allcity king, or trying to hustle tourists is one thing, but stealing another mans creative identity (That put in fucking WORK) that may not have(Might never) reaped any benefits.... hope you get a hotter spot in hell hommie...

• 2 weeks later...