Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
the.crooked

Death

The presupposition that a deity does not govern my existence does not exclude the possibility that the form of my existence may change.

*precisely.

when people look right past what i write in this section of the forum... its because of the name isnt it? :rolleyes:

You were talking about universal consciousness. If you're talking about what I think you are, isn't that concept in direct opposition to the idea of a unique and unchanging eternal soul?

partly... but like i said it isn't exactly what I believe... its just a theory that incorporates something from both sides... it doesn't necessarily give credence to any form of god... but it also doesn't rule out a "form" of an afterlife... even if it is a form that we are a part of even if on a subconscious level day to day.

like i said, it dosent effect me at all... i just roll with the punches bro... lifes simpler that way. hopefully death will be too.

Dying is for suckas. I want to live for ever, and I want to be sharp forever. Death has been inevitable previously, but there is absolutely no reason to believe that death may be conquered in the future.

I have been contemplating the idea of "downloading" my consciousness into some sort of energy field. I wonder what the implications would be for my sense of self. Would a unique self split from a piece of consciousness that continues on. How would those selves relate to the continuum of what I perceive to be my ego?

Death itself could be horrible though, there is no doubt about that, and hopefully I can not be too condescending towards the younger members of the board in saying that your perceptions of what death means will change significantly as you age, and my metaphysical wanderings based on what I was learning as a young undergraduate seem like so much mental masturbation compared to the reality of my life now.

Oh, and another thing, the eternally sharp mind is dependent on keeping your body in good shape. Just some advice from an old guy.

What I fear, is becoming old and feeble.

Living forever is only as good as the body that contains the eternally sharp mind...

Cool math problem. Symbolic logic is great because it can reduce something extremely complex down to something very simple.

I like the idea that a continuum of barriers or non-barriers between existence and non-existence must be the case, but at the same time I have no practical idea what this means to me, in a tangible sense. Perhaps you could comment on it? I'm a dummy sometimes, so I need to be elucidated clearly.

Anyways, like I said in my last post, the fear of becoming old and feeble was very strong for me at say 21 years of age, but doesn't mean as much to me now. Things change, and I change with it, it's as simple as that. Taking care of one's body can prevent one from becoming old and feeble, a fact that becomes readily apparent when one gets older. By the way, I'm 34, which means I am not old, but I think I've become aware of what it means to age, at least a little bit. Of course, when I'm 44, I'll think what I'm saying now is stupid.

Dying is for suckas. I want to live for ever, and I want to be sharp forever. Death has been inevitable previously, but there is absolutely no reason to believe that death may be conquered in the future.

I have been contemplating the idea of "downloading" my consciousness into some sort of energy field. I wonder what the implications would be for my sense of self. Would a unique self split from a piece of consciousness that continues on. How would those selves relate to the continuum of what I perceive to be my ego?

You seen how lawnmower man ended right? Haha. If human intelligence was emulated, then all of your individual cognitive processes were coded into this thing, it would only be a copy of you that would be would be completely separate from you. If you existed at the same time as the AI, how could you experience two consciousnesses at the same time?

In terms of living forever, what about some type of "android" technology where you gradually replace ALL of your biological cells with artificial cells that never age? Or nanobots in your biological body that constantly repair all of your damaged aging cells?

I don't see why not.

The presupposition that a deity does not govern my existence does not exclude the possibility that the form of my existence may change.

so then atheism doesnt have to be grounded in factual evidence?

I have no idea about what's on the other side of death, I've never been there before neither have I met anyone who has. I'm sure I'll find out in good time though. Until then, I will focus on the job at hand.

so then atheism doesnt have to be grounded in factual evidence?

two things (a simple answer and a not so simple answer):

1. No, I do not believe so. While atheism usually has the realism bent of science, it does not necessarily imply it. To be atheist is merely do deny a proposition. It isn't contingent on why one denies it.

2. Was not the logical progression I gave not factual? The visual information you take in when you read what I wrote provides evidence as much as recording results of a particle accelerator. At this point we should learn to recognize that while we speak about the empiricism of scientific data and evidence, it is merely factual in as much as we are looking for something under the restrictions of a metaphysical dogma already. If you look for electrons, you will find electrons. If you look for god you will find god.

Evidence, Fact, and recalcitrant data are all presupposed by any theory of reality, let alone somethin even more necessarily mystifying as death.

thats kinda what i was getting at. science is a religion too.

I know it seems kind of a "dead horse" conversation but i've never understood how one can be an atheist, agnostic sure, i mean secretly everyone is, but to actually know there is no G-d, that would be earth shattering.

Would it really though?

I know you and I have talked about this before, but what is functional difference between the words "God" and "Reality"?

To me, if you accept god, it is as much as just accepting that which is, reality.

Earth shattering only if one needs the external presence of something beyond them to make decisions.

im not saying you have to believe in something, rather accept that something may or may not exist. Nor am i saying that this/these higher being(s) must have something to do with your life, Im just proposing that one cant objectively say that G-d is a lie, just as it is impossible to prove otherwise.

i dont preach religion, its not what i do, just in case its coming off that way.

religion is a weird one, stirs up so many emotions in people

I for one am positive there is no god (even though I have no proof to this) I have spent a lot of today reading about exitensilism and other similar ideas, I feel kinda embarassed to say that as someone who is almost 30 I have not really read up on philosophy, when it is something that really interests me

I found the stuff I read today sumed up my viewpoint of life and our existence. I just don't believe there is a great plan for mankind or any meaning to our lives. We are just a chemical reaction and a collection of atoms and nothing made us into this it was random chaos.

I quite often find myself arguing with people of religion as they wont accept my viewpoint and I cannot accpet theirs, but fairplay if people have faith, I suppose I do too, just my faith is in myself as a person who judges himself by my own values and morals and not those that are dictated to me by religion or society. Not to say I don't know right from wrong. Obviously I wouldn't go and rape and murder, but the only person that can truley judge me is me and I just think this way of thinking makes me believe that once death occurs that is it. There isn't oblivion and a conciousness following death. Once that brain activity is gone I am nothing more than a hunk of meat.

I hope that makes sense I am kinda new to this philosophical atuff lol just whap me round the head if I'm chatting shit!!

p.s. scientific materialism is a boring paradigm. no wonder most of you think nothing happens after death, you're subscribing to society's most pervasive mindset whether you realize it or not.

you're never going to prove or not prove such things as the existence of a soul or a definite afterlife through the scientific method. it's about using the right tools for the right job people.

its nothing to do with science I just don't believe there is anything after death

and I'm sure the common held view of society is the religious/afterlife view not the nothingness that i believe

I think rubbish heap is just speaking about how little people delve into what science is actually, compared to the surface belief of scientific realism.

im not a religious person. so the afterlife and a place besides here is kinda out there to me

im not affraid to die. but i dont want to. at least not now. maybe 50 years from now i wont feel the same. but thinking about death is weird. it makes me get chills. one moment you can think. and the next you dont know if you're dead or not because you're dead. you cant think. it trips me out. how long will this place last before humans are gone. what will everyone i know be doing? its weird to me. i dont like thinking about death that much. hahaha

just my input

I don’t really dwell on what happens after death any more. The idea of not existing and not for sure knowing what will happen when I die use to terrify me. I think I have just come to terms with not knowing and have become content with what is at hand. I try to get as much out of life as I can right now because right now is guaranteed. I have yet to experience someone I know and care about passing so I don’t know exactly how I would take it but I am assuming depending on the situation that I would not try and focus on the fact that they are no longer alive and accessible but more so what they taught me or how much I enjoyed knowing them when they were alive. If memories of the deceased exist strongly I do not believe that death (in a sense) has happened. I mean literally the dead are no longer. You cant touch them, see them, blah blah but if they somehow run through your mind every so often and you talk about them to your kids, friends, or family and then they in turn may tell someone else doesn’t that kind of make them immortal (maybe because they now exist in your mind)? I guess in order to get down with what death means you have to ask yourself what does living actually mean. ergh. rambling sorry.

thats kinda what i was getting at. science is a religion too.

Science.

Is.

Not.

A.

Fucking.

Religion.

"Science is not faith-based, and here’s why.

The scientific method makes one assumption, and one assumption only: the Universe obeys a set of rules. That’s it. There is one corollary, and that is that if the Universe follows these rules, then those rules can be deduced by observing the way Universe behaves. This follows naturally; if it obeys the rules, then the rules must be revealed by that behavior."

All but four of you read, but here's the link to the rest of the article anyway http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2008/02/18/is-science-faith-based/

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now