blaxploitation films: an appreciation thread.

Tyler Durden

perusing youtube this morning.... watching trailers for some of these.

utterly amazing.

hancoc_herb_spookwhos_101b.jpg

poster_black_samson.gif

^^^my personal favorite. dude keeps a fucking lion inside his bar. that alone is reason enough to watch this.

theblackgestapo.jpg

feel free to add any other favorites. i'll contribute some more later, perhaps.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Why are they called blaxploitation movies? Is any movie made specifically for black people considered a blaxploitation movie? Say a movie like Dreamgirls, Stella Got Here Groove Back, Meteor Man, House Party, The Color Purple, ect...Or do they have to be from the 70's? Would a movie like Smokey and the Bandit be considered whiteploitation?

I think it refers to the movies that many Civil Rights groups of the 70's saw as being "negative"; glorifying a negative portrayal of African-Amercans -- like the pimp and gangster movies, and movies celebrating drug pushing and all of that. Later, ALL "black" movies from the 1970's just came to be lumped in and be called "blaxploitation".

There are blaxploitation movies being released in this decade (and in the 90's), but I don't think we refer it to that in the classical sense (of the movies of the 70's).

At least I didn't pretend like I do understand, ya know? I did ask why...Hell, I enjoyed Menace To Society cause I thought it was a good movie. Never once was I like "you know they're exploiting black folks in this movie". But I can see where some would think it was glorifying violence and gang life even though I know that that's not what the Hughes Brothers were going for.

i know what you mean though..

alot of these movies had main characters battling corruption from within and out.. as well as stopping drug trafficking .. mostly heroin wich was rampant in many hoods during the time.

some films had the thug turned hero thing going..

i still dont understand black people though....

DTDVD-GetChristieLoveD1.jpg

sweet sweetbacks badassssssssssssssss song?

i posted all the youtube links to this entire movie in the shit the shit thread (now known as the fuck this shit thread)...

and i posted some facts about the movie.....its a low quality movie....but its good none the less....

as far as "the spook who sat by the door"......thats a really good fucking movie.....dead prez sampled a line from it in a skit on one of their albums...

oh yeah...and the spook who sat by the door was almost destroyed/lost...but it was saved...o check it out!...i posted that in the movie reccomendation thread last summer.