Fidel Castro resigns

christo-f

Castro Resigns as President

Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2008

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1714313,00.html

(HAVANA)—Ailing leader Fidel Castro resigned as Cuba's president from nearly a half-century early Tuesday, saying in a letter published in online official media that he would not accept a new term when the newly elected parliament meets on Sunday.

"I will not aspire nor accept — I repeat I will not aspire or accept, the post of President of the Council of State and Commander in Chief," read a letter signed by Castro published quietly overnight without advance warning in the online edition of the Communist Party daily Granma.

The new National Assembly is meeting for first time Sunday since January elections to pick the governing Council of State, including the presidency Castro holds. There had been wide speculation about whether he would accept a nomination for reelection to that post or retire.

The 81-year-old Castro's overnight announcement effectively ends his rule of almost 50 years over Cuba, positioning his 76-year-old brother Raul for permanent succession to the presidency.

He succeeded what, something like 10 different US presidents?

He will hand power to his brother Raul.

Yay for Nepotism!

What's for the future in land of Rum, Change or more of the same?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Personally as a Cuban made here I would like to tell Castro 'besar mi culo' but supposedly the Cubans still there adore the man. I've still got cousins and close familia there so iuno to be happy he's gone or that his prick of a brother will fuck things up worse than Che or Castro ever did. Cubanos speak up.

Maybe, is there any footage of him since the announcement that proves the date? Usually they wouldn't announce the passing until some one has been maneuvered into place for power..., much alike the situation when Arrafat died. TBH, I know sweet FA about Cuba and hoped I'd learn something by starting this thread.

cuba's gonna do a chinese-style half step to capitalism over the next few years

yea, i heard the same shit. apparently, they are fascinated with how the chinese have been able to do so and boost their economy tenfold. i expect shit to remain the same till a few years after castro is dead and gone. only then do i think that true change will come.