Pizza Appreciation Thread

earmuffs

• 1 month later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

John’s Pizza - Bleeker Street, Village NYC - Classic tomato and mozzarella cheese pizza with fresh roasted garlic and pepperoni.

Andiamo on Biscayne in Miami - sundried tomato, onions, arugula and ruffle oil.

Jersey Boys in downtown Whitefish, Montana - Classic tomato and mozzarella cheese pizza with fresh roasted garlic.

Best pizza I’ve had anywhere.

Though, not for nothing but making dough at home is so easy and so cheap and tastes almost better than the best pizza. Fresh and doughy. Tomato sauce costs nothing (cheaper even than spaghetti sauce) and other toppings are easy. Cheese is always expensive but overall it literally costs like a $1 to make a pizza all in, takes maybe 20 minutes if you make the dough ahead of time (easier to make batches and freeze them). Suggest trying it out.

Edited by Guest

Do so often enough and am doing that for dinner tonight. I still use store bought dough & sauce, but I tend to get a beer dough made by a local brewery. Also try to get some nice cheese to throw on top, have been using a lot of smoked cheeses lately. Overall taste difference when you do it yourself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 4:10 PM, One Man Banned said:

NYC slices and the free garlic knots were a nice surprise

IMG_1601.thumb.JPG.25616add6153421049dc4601cc5ca78e.JPG

i may or may not have had a sexual reaction to this photo. in my annual pilgrimage east this year, I get a full week in BKLN for the first time in a few years.

I'm only eating slices, knots, and bagels the whole fuckin time. Maybe some turkish food out in bay ridge, but that's fuckin it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, the.crooked said:

i may or may not have had a sexual reaction to this photo. in my annual pilgrimage east this year, I get a full week in BKLN for the first time in a few years.

I'm only eating slices, knots, and bagels the whole fuckin time. Maybe some turkish food out in bay ridge, but that's fuckin it.

Ha- those slices were from Bklyn.

John Stewart will never forgive me.

I'm unfamiliar with "pub style" but down to try both. I've had deep dish before, it was good but I kind of agree it's more of a a casserole  than pizza. Assuming pub style is just like regular thin pizza, but you get too drunk to cut it properly first since you're in a pub?

12 hours ago, mn1_fuckos said:

@Mercer?

About the only people who eat deep dish pizza are tourist. Common folks eats Pubstyle 

Although if you want some good none chain deep dish. We'll check out Pequods whenever you end up here.

Image result for pequods

that's the truth, i still hit up the peqouds in skokie after bike rides to the beach

9 hours ago, misteraven said:

Anyone actually make their own pizza? So freakin good...

weve been making our own pizza for awhile i guess to an extent - we will buy the dough from the grocery store from a local bakery that delivers the pizza dough. then I usually saute some peppers onions and garlic (finely diced) and then mix in some red sauce and then add toppings! i love adding big slices of fresh mozzarella. i cant find a flick now but ill upload some next time we cook it up.

the dough can be frustrating though thats for sure.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 11:28 AM, misteraven said:

Anyone actually make their own pizza? So freakin good...

we've got a pal that runs a pizza shop so we will occasionally pick up dough from him.

I've made some doughs at home, but nothing spectacular. I think we're getting a sourdough starter soon so i'll probably see what I can do with that. A lot of bay area crusts are sourdough, but very few are as good as a regular ass crust in NYC. I'm going to be trying my damndest to make a consistently solid crust.

Anyone else struggle with oven temp? I usually will split a regular dough ball into two and make 2 13ish inch pizzas. I don't have a pizza stone or a peel so I usually put them in a cold cast iron, sauce, etc. until i feel like the top and dough is cooked through (usually about 8-9 minutes on 550F), then finish with the cast iron on the stove top just to get some good browning on the crust.

@Mercer

pub style is basically just cut into squares. The crust is bit crispier then the pizza in NYC 

If you want a cracker with pizza topping go to St.Louis and get yourself some Imo’s Pizza. 

It’s decent but it’s so thin I can probably put down a Large in one sitting.

Also You’d be surprised how many south side and north side people argue about which side of town has the better pizza. So most us don’t take offense to pizza debates. 

@~KRYLON2~

I’ve never been to their Skokie location is parking any better the the one in Lincoln park

15 hours ago, the.crooked said:

Anyone else struggle with oven temp? I usually will split a regular dough ball into two and make 2 13ish inch pizzas. I don't have a pizza stone or a peel so I usually put them in a cold cast iron, sauce, etc. until i feel like the top and dough is cooked through (usually about 8-9 minutes on 550F), then finish with the cast iron on the stove top just to get some good browning on the crust.

my oven is super old and shitty. i just crank the heat all the way on broil then when i put the pizza in I turn it to bake, (read this technique somewhere off the internet but my stoned ass may have it backwards). I have a pizza stone and I bought a little oven thermometer since the reading your oven gives you is usually off. the thermometer was cheap and has kinda helped me learn to operate my oven a little better.

@mn1_fuckosI hear the pizza beef. NYC's is pretty brutal, it's not so bad in Manhattan,  but in the outer boroughs shit's real. It's actually real in Manhattan depending on your neighborhood, and how full of affluent transplants it is.

Out in the Boroughs it's a different story though. Competition is fierce & basically every neighborhood has it's champ. It's very difficult for a chain spot like Domino's or Pizza Hut to set up shop and gain traction. Some of these mom & pop shops have been open for generations. There are people that eat in these shops every day, or every day they can afford it. If NYC had a nutritional chart, Pizza would be the entire base of the pyramid.

The neighborhood I lived in 2005 - 2015 had it's top spot (Mama Carmellas), when they opened up a Pappa John's across the street it would get vandalized and fucked with regularly. It wasn't the Mama Carmella, or it's employees doing the deed, or even encouraging it,. It was just the neighborhood regulars and their fierce loyalty.  I remember hearing the owner telling people "please don't vandalize Pappa John's" on his behalf when I first started going in there. BTW, Mama Carmellas tomato sauce if off the chain, along with the bacon cheeseburger deluxe. Any oontzer that's crashed my Queens couch back then can testify.

I didn't have a specific spot when I lived in the East Village. Mostly went to the original Artichoke pizza on 14th street before it burned down out of convenience. Their margarita slice, and their namesake artichoke slice were def world class slices. They were so good they even had a "Crab Slice", which took some serious trust to even consider ordering, but I knew they could pull it off and it was good. Eventually they started opening up so many shops the original crew left 14th street and the quality went down. Got fucked over one time right before the end, ordered a (bad) crab slice that destroyed my trust in them. Still probably the best margarita slice I've had was from there.

• Truth 1

I'll probably try Chicago Deep dish when I go . Actually make fake "Chicago dogs" here sometimes myself piling on random veggies. It's weird, I been in NYC so long now I refuse to order pizza, or bagels anyplace else but here most of the time on some snob shit.

Got unreasonably mad about a month ago when I ordered pizza in Secaucus NJ assuming it was close enough to NYC to not be that bad. These Cock smokers gave me a paper plate, with aluminum foil over it, and laid the slice on top of the aluminum foil. Needless to say since it wasn't wax paper the fucking Cheese stuck to the aluminum foil. Such a disaster trying to peel the crumbling slice off  I complained and the guy behind the counter tells me "Thats how we serve all our pizza" like that's supposed to make me feel better. I'm even getting mad typing this. lol

Edited by Mercer
Clarity on how bad that shit was
  • Like 1
  • LOL! 3

The dogs in Chi were proper - I dig the peppers and pickle.

Currently eating a slice of pepperoni as I type this....I stay fucking with pizza.

Getting older and training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, every so often I make an attempt to drop some weight and 9/10 times pizza ends up fucking up my whole lifestyle.