You're Fired

Weapon X

i worked for a small shop back in high school. it sucked ass, i'll never work on cars for a living ever. seriously you have to do yoga to get at some parts of the car. my body would always be sore, and customers are always in a shitty mood when they find out how much it costs to fix a problem. i got fired from that job becuase i fucked up my knee. so me and a friend came back a few months later with a gas can full of sand and poured it intothe gas tank of as many cars as we could. i probably wouldnt do that now, but at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. and it was funny

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

it's illegal to for a former employer to talk bad about you if a new employer calls and ask about you.

all the old employer can say is "yea he worked here"

they cant say why u got fired or even if u did get fired. they cant say "he came into work late everyday and stole my yogurt from da fridge even after i wtore my name on it"

even if u did do that, they cant legally say it! all they can do is acknoledge you worked there.

Guest shai_hulud
Well, If you ever found out that your former employer was talking bad about you to a potential new employer you can sue them. And thats enough for most people with a brain to not say shit except for "yes he/she worked here." I love america.

Weapon XXX is from Canada. I don't know what the policy is regarding ex-employers giving bad references there, but I imagine if you could prove they were up to no good you could get them for defamation of character.

Then again, the burden of proof is on the plaintiff in the US. It's a hard charge to make stick.

I dealt with this when I was 20. I had a warehouse job, and the office manager didn't like me. She kept extending my probation period (during which I worked at 75% wages) out for six months past the three months, so I had no real recourse when I got fired.

So, I went out and looked for a new job. I had three really good leads fall through for no reason. As in, I had gotten interviewed, and was actually hired at one place, but after they checked my references (one of which was the warehouse) they would change their mind for some reason. I finally asked the third place I got turned down at what changed their mind, and they told me off the record that my previous manager had given them reason to think twice.

I immediately called the warehouse, and told the owner of the business that I knew what she was up to, and that I was going on unemployment. He said he'd personally approve it if I had the forms sent....which I did.

I heard she got fired six months later for blowing two major accounts for the company because she lost her cool and talked shit to the reps.

Were you ever written up for anything?

How long were you there?

I worked at this spot for about two years, and was written up twice, both times by the new service manager, who has only worked there for a couple of months.

One write up was forgetting to put an oil filter into a camry and then starting it. Yeah, stupid, but 90% of the shop has done that at some point, and I can think of two kids who do it on a weekly basis.

The other write up was fucking up a Sienna. Not too bad ($800 in damage), and it wasn't my fault. There were witnesses who told the manager it wasn't my fault, and the dude who crashed into me even said "sorry" a million times to me and the manager, but I still got written up for it.

I hate the fact that you need school to get your foot in the door. People keep telling me that I'm smart and personable enough to get all sorts of jobs, but that just ain't the case. I want to leave the trade and do something else, but I can't when I only have high school and a little bit of trade school.

But how would you know anyway? They prolly like "yo on some real shit, business owner to business owner, is this guy an asshole??" and you would never know.

its defamation. my sister and brother in law both work in HR management and it's kind of a big deal they say, I was worried about this very same thing a few weeks ago.... I did one of my bosses kind of dirty by giving him two weeks notice and taking my two weeks vacation at the same time but he still hooked up a good job reference

I hate the fact that you need school to get your foot in the door. People keep telling me that I'm smart and personable enough to get all sorts of jobs, but that just ain't the case. I want to leave the trade and do something else, but I can't when I only have high school and a little bit of trade school.

I hear you on this.

I recently got hired TO go to school.

so I'm getting my education payed for, a free 4th class power engineering ticket, work experience and a job to boot.

you should look into trying this, I know you were talking about moving out west to live with a cousin and persue a job out here and I can show you where to get your foot in the door.

you can use the ticket all over Canada, you just have to pay 'fee's' to the eng. society but usually your employer does that for you.

shoot me a PM if you're interested in knowin some more.