INVITES???

BELTOLEUM

Should invites be brought back???  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest shai_hulud
Who here think the invites system should be brought back???

it is amazing the amount of people that joined since the invites

were gone and i think it is getting out of hand with all the new people.

BELTOLEUM

:confused: :confused: :confused:

lets learn how to use our prop buttons, like make only certain people have prop power ( sort of like a secondary moderator for the regular users to control the n00bs

example: a handful of people that are not mods that are here a lot and know the rules or have seniority over areas of the message board they should be the only ones with prop power to hand out or take away prop points whoever gets to the red tampon stage gets banned by a mod

Guest shai_hulud
I would encourage you to do exactly the opposite. Noobs inevitably will have some learning to do through trial and error, but established members should know the deal and should be not only setting the example, but also providing counter-suckage in the form of good threads. I've seen a lot more shitty threads by regular members (daily) than noobs (every once in a while).

Ch.0 quality isn't brought down by the occasional noob thread, it's brought down by the rest of us posting tons of mediocre ones.

Like this one.

Everyone hated on me for pointing out that this place was falling off, but you can't deny that there's more new people around making moves....some better, some worse.

So, what are you going to do about it? Bitch and moan and say "CHANGE IT BACK!!!", or explain to the new arrivals how things work around here?

Because if you bitch and moan, I guarantee you I'll go dig up posts where you did the exact same thing to me and Seffiks.

Guest shai_hulud
the only way that the invite should be brought back

is if it cost to much money from all the new activity.

Ah, good point. I thought about this, too.

The way I see it, since Raven sells advertising on the site he needs to have good Alexa numbers to show how much traffic the site gets. So, while more traffic means more bandwidth costs, it's also making the Alexa rating of 12 oz. go up, so advertisers will think, "Hey, good place to put a banner ad!" Then, Raven gets paid, and the cycle repeats.

Let's try this. Anyone who has been here for a year knows the difference between "fail" and "win". Let's try not being total dicks to new people right off the bat, and encourage more "win" through explanation and example. That way, the content improves and everyone is happy. It's called "giving people the benefit of the doubt".

However, some people aren't going to get it right away. Those are the ones that you razz until they get with the program. If they don't, and they want to stick around and get abused, hey...that's their call.

Also, I don't know if the thread me and Seffiks started got the forum opened again, but if it did, I'm glad. Not to mention the fact that we tried to make our case sound thought out and logical.

Guest shai_hulud

Plus, invites didn't work. I remember plenty of new people getting ran out of here in the past three months.

What spectr said is a good idea (have invites most of the time but limited open registration ala Demonoid), but I'm not going to ask Raven to do anything for a while.

Frankly, you're barking up the wrong tree if you think this forum being open or closed is the reason it's not working for you. I finally realized that it's what I post and how I present myself that makes a difference, no matter how small.

You want to make a difference, BELTOLEUM? Find people you want to be part of 12 oz and tell them to sign up, then come up with some good content. That's how it's done. Asking for Raven to change the board to suit your taste is going to get you a lot of unwanted attention.

I found that out the hard way.

Ah, good point. I thought about this, too.

The way I see it, since Raven sells advertising on the site he needs to have good Alexa numbers to show how much traffic the site gets. So, while more traffic means more bandwidth costs, it's also making the Alexa rating of 12 oz. go up, so advertisers will think, "Hey, good place to put a banner ad!" Then, Raven gets paid, and the cycle repeats.

Let's try this. Anyone who has been here for a year knows the difference between "fail" and "win". Let's try not being total dicks to new people right off the bat, and encourage more "win" through explanation and example. That way, the content improves and everyone is happy. It's called "giving people the benefit of the doubt".

However, some people aren't going to get it right away. Those are the ones that you razz until they get with the program. If they don't, and they want to stick around and get abused, hey...that's their call.

Also, I don't know if the thread me and Seffiks started got the forum opened again, but if it did, I'm glad. Not to mention the fact that we tried to make our case sound thought out and logical.

honestly, if these kids can't take the time to look around the board for a few minutes and explore it... if they can't take the time to contribute to a few threads in a positive way... and not make total jackasses of themselves then fuck them... its the internet, I understand that it allows the human race to show how truly retarded it can be... But seriously should we babysit new members and explain to them how to not act like a retard on the internet... Fuck no... if they don't know how to do it then they are on their own..

Though I do agree 12oz can be a little harsh from time to time... So maybe if we had a new section to encourage new members to post in, where people could give them positive feedback, and would be discouraged from just being complete assholes to new members.. that would help the newer members out..

The Yard?

no not the yard..

Have you been to the yard?

I am sorry, some of those people need some serious help... Sometime I even end up being an asshole in the yard...

when someone posts something like this

wut shuld i put in mi etch 2 mak it stane

how can you not just want to grab then and beat them into a pulp like their parents should have years before...

Or maybe a ch0 rules list, with things not to post, how to post a thread, the fact that we are going to demand pictures if its something interesting and be upset if you don't deliver on them, etc etc... just give the newer members a heads up..

The yard honestly is one of the most amusing places on 12oz... though every once in a while there is some kid who asks a decent question... but there are to many kids like the one I just posted...

No I was think like a whole new section for new members... something like new members post here... let it be a mix of sections.. and if the thread is good, and gets a good response from the rest of the OZ and the newer members then move it to crossfire, ch0, the yard, untitled, or wherever it would belong..

BELTOLEUM

:confused: :confused: :confused:

i have been on here since 2005.

i got banned once so i had to

make a new name.

yea the yard does get out of hand

cause all of the new people just make

stupid less threads instead of searching

the marker and ink thread.

Guest shai_hulud

Haha, the Yard.

I posted a LOT of good info in the Yard over the years. I wonder how many brain cells I killed and how many carpets I ruined indirectly.

It seems like a lot of people aren't going through the Yard/Brickslayers/Channel Zero progression anymore...like, you get tired of one, then move on. Now, I see a lot of new people just starting out in Channel Zero.